• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving on earlier than expected"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Honestly PC. That is the biggest load of rubbish you've posted to date. There are many reasons there in a termination clause in there.. Most B2B contracts have them and nearly all B2C's have them.

It's not something that is unique to us and is there just to screw someone.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I agree the default position from both sides should be see a contract out but ultimately they signed up to have a notice period and they wouldn't think twice about invoking it the other way. Contracts that run on after the work has finished can suck the life out of you.
    If you're a client you have every right to enter into the contract no notice period. You can't have it all ways. If you REALLY don't want the contractor to leave then stick in the contract.

The clients/agencies don't do this because they know that A) some contractors will not agree to this and B) Is possible some contractors will want to negotiate a higher rate because of this.

So they stick the notice period in, knowing that there is this misguided belief amongst certain contractors that you should never invoke a notice period. They are laughing at these mugs.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I agree the default position from both sides should be see a contract out but ultimately they signed up to have a notice period and they wouldn't think twice about invoking it the other way. Contracts that run on after the work has finished can suck the life out of you.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Serving notice is still 'honouring the contract' of sorts - if it wasn't the contract wouldn't include such a clause
    EXACTLY

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Serving notice is still 'honouring the contract' of sorts - if it wasn't the contract wouldn't include such a clause

Leave a comment:

• FancyBear
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    I'm going against the grain here, but when I sign to deliver services for 3, 6 or 12 months I honour the contract. Always have.
    You're running a business and honour your commitments to your customers. Just because some clientcos don't act in good faith it doesn't mean you should run your business the same way.
    I totally agree with that, I always want to honour my commitments however it didn't work out that way on this occasion which is no doubt a contributing factor to why I found it hard to terminate.

I think it may depend on your industry too? My industry is so fast paced, if I sit still for 6 months doing work that doesn't fully interest me, or isn't what I become certified to do then I truly feel like I would be left behind. I have to stay current and I have to stay active.
    Last edited by FancyBear; 12 September 2019, 09:41.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    To some extent this is a decent way to act but there are valid times when this just isn't feasible and its not unprofessional to leave. If the work isn't as described, it's complete and they want to treat you like perm and move you to something else or if the work just isn't there and you are slowly dying inside doing nothing.
    In those cases it's in neither parties interest to just plod on so could quite rightly move on. Jumping for 50 quid more or you took a long distance gig that you never intend to honour is unprofessional.

I'd say you've been lucky so can apply the right attitude but I don't think it's as black and white as you state.
    Right attitude is do whats right for YOU with the allowed LEGAL clauses of the contract....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    I'm going against the grain here, but when I sign to deliver services for 3, 6 or 12 months I honour the contract. Always have.
    You're running a business and honour your commitments to your customers. Just because some clientcos don't act in good faith it doesn't mean you should run your business the same way.
    To some extent this is a decent way to act but there are valid times when this just isn't feasible and its not unprofessional to leave. If the work isn't as described, it's complete and they want to treat you like perm and move you to something else or if the work just isn't there and you are slowly dying inside doing nothing.
    In those cases it's in neither parties interest to just plod on so could quite rightly move on. Jumping for 50 quid more or you took a long distance gig that you never intend to honour is unprofessional.

I'd say you've been lucky so can apply the right attitude but I don't think it's as black and white as you state.

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by FancyBear View Post
    Hi all,

I have been contracting in the Cyber Security industry as a consultant for eight months at the same company. I completed a six month contract and then the client renewed for another six months. I am now two months into the renewal and the time has come to move on to a better opportunity which is more aligned with my interests and passion (plus a 50% uplift in day rate).

I have delivered a lot of project work over the last 8 months and I am now getting more involved in BAU work (IR35!?) which is becoming tedious. They have already asked me to become permanent but I have politely declined on two occasions.

I have just accepted a contract with a new client, so I will be giving my notice at my current place immediately. I know this game can be ruthless, and it really isn't any different to leaving a permanent role but I still can't shake the feeling of guilt, like I owe them some sense of loyalty. I really don't think the news is going to be well received.

Any advice for occasions such as these?

Thanks.
    Yes.

Try to imagine how many tears the hiring manager would be crying when you get unceremoniously dumped as your contract is abruptly terminated due to budget shortfalls/downsizing/project cancellation/etc.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Provide some post contract consultancy support for a reasonable fee negotiated on the final day when they realise they may need it as they've run out of time on the handover.

I had one client keep calling me after a contract ended as the newbie permie was struggling and the handover was obviously short of ideal. I joked I'd be charging £x per call from then on. They never called again, but I did wonder if I should have maybe offered something similar in a more serious fashion.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by FancyBear View Post
    This is definitely going to be the case in my situation!
    as long as you make it out the door before they blame you it's a positive

Leave a comment:

• FancyBear
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    and 6 months later it's your fault nobody can operate it

Some clients never learn.
    This is definitely going to be the case in my situation!

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sadly, twice I've had to leave gigs due to hitting contractor time limits and despite suggesting this over a year before I left and many times in between, in both cases it didn't happen and I had just drop the whole thing and leave. Standard PC mentality would be to screw it, not my problem, but it pisses me off royally that I've done all that work, got everything flowing, owned it and then we are back to square one the day after I leave. Just seems such a waste.
    and 6 months later it's your fault nobody can operate it

Some clients never learn.

Leave a comment:

• FancyBear
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I usually offer to finish off key work in evenings around my next gig which goes down well and brings a bit more revenue in. Most people will just be thnkful for the work you have done
    Cheers JoJo, I hadn’t considered this option. I will bring this up in conversation and see if they fancy some of that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X