• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Offered Contract at Reduced Rate"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Seen it many times. Goes in the agents arse pocket.....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I was once told it was 14%. Checked with Client and it was 28%.

Luckily client was Goldmans and I got 40 contractors a 14% pay rise.....
    Pay rise or fee increase (or loan adjustment)?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Cid View Post
    What are the chances anything the agent says concerning a fixed rate or not is utter BS.
    I was once told it was 14%. Checked with Client and it was 28%.

Luckily client was Goldmans and I got 40 contractors a 14% pay rise.....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You can't distinguish between the client and the agency. Both do it. My experience of rate cutting on renewal is that it was always the client.

It's a negotiation, and you need to be prepared for it.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    It's most likely the agent trying it on. That's mostly irrelevant in how to handle it. The main question is how do you find the market at the moment.

You can call their bluff, just be prepared for the slight chance of losing the gig. Keep in mind that 1 extra week on the bench will wipe out extra £10/day for the next year.

As others have mentioned I tend not to take the risk and swallow it, only to recoup it come extension time, when I have much stronger negotiating position.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Yeah I got stung with this on some of my early contracts. Now days I tend to do the reverse and ask for more post interview once I've been offered the gig and "understand the role more", the last 3 gigs I've done I've successfully managed to negotiate this up

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cid View Post
    What are the chances anything the agent says concerning a fixed rate or not is utter BS.
    There is that but it's a hell of a risk putting a blatant lie in an email, particularly if you get the gig and end up on site with their client. I know they are a sneaky bunch not to be trusted but I'd give them enough credit not to pull a bare faced lie like this. Asking the question also shows you know a little about how they work and aren't a complete noob so they will be a little less likely to try pull your pants down like they would someone that doesn't have a clue.

Never been a problem for me in the last 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Accept the £10 pd cut and apply a £20 pd hair gel surcharge.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Magaluf 19 View Post
    So they can still try it on fixed rate or not then.

Some interesting responses there. Thanks.

Have accepted anyway. At least it should see me through any Brexit market turmoil.
    Not normally no. I wouldn't put it past them but if they are they are taking the piss out of their client as well which wouldn't be smart.

Leave a comment:

• Magaluf 19
    replied
    So they can still try it on fixed rate or not then.

Some interesting responses there. Thanks.

Have accepted anyway. At least it should see me through any Brexit market turmoil.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Originally posted by Magaluf 19 View Post
    Yes, £10 off a not altogether great daily rate. Just worried he might can me and let the 2nd choice candidate have the contract so not going to sweat it.

Was just wondering if this is common? Won't name the agency but let's just say they're a pretty generic IT recruitment agency.
    Yes, I got done done on my first contract too... Until renewal...

On another contract, where the agent was transparent from the beginning (he sent me the cover sheet where he put my rate and the rate that the agency was getting, which I saw and discussed with the client during the interview) he called to let me know the client wants me and confirmed, SURPRISE, a lower rate. I told him the client said the rate should be OK if they make an offer and that I wasn't interested in the contract at the lower rate. He called back in 20 minutes to say the rate issue has been sorted.

In conclusion, they are always trying...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You should always ask the agent if they are on a fixed rate and ask them to confirm via mail. That way you'll know if they are going to take the piss or not. If they are on fixed rate then there is nothing in it for them to mess around like this.
    If they aren't then it's negotiation time and anything they cut will go in their pocket. Shaving a tenner of is a really crappy trick and I'll bet if you pushed it you'd get it back but it's so little they know most will accept it.
    Accept the gig. Store it and get it back and more at next renewal.

It's not that common as most agents with large clients tend to be on fixed rates but looking at many posts on here there seem to be plenty of new contractors having their pants pulled down by agents like this. Some of them find the agents are taking anywhere between 20 and 40% of their rate so 10 quid isn't that bad.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 September 2019, 19:08.

Leave a comment:

• Magaluf 19
    replied
    Yes, £10 off a not altogether great daily rate. Just worried he might can me and let the 2nd choice candidate have the contract so not going to sweat it.

Was just wondering if this is common? Won't name the agency but let's just say they're a pretty generic IT recruitment agency.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Personally I would take the role if nothing else on (which you imply).

And keep looking....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X