• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Converting permanent salary to sole trader day rate?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If you're a sole trader, then you're not going through an agency (intermediary) so cannot be affected by IR35 (intermediary's legislation). See Qdos explanation here. What you have to be concerned about is whether you are not self-employed, but actually an employee - but it's the employer who has the liability.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But they aren't equal choices. You wouldn't compare in/out AND sole trader. You are either in or out. In your case you won't be outside.

So you need either a brolly or sole trader calculator. Might be hard because you'll have to look at two websites.

Third result from a search for sole trader take home pay
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 14 December 2019, 22:21.

Leave a comment:

• PickledFishNChips
    replied
    I have yes, and spent all day searching this forum and others, and despite seeing you chastise people for foolishly neglecting to read the newbie guides I gave it a go

I've found this which suggests 25% so if I consider that accurate I can compare to the calculators for Inside/outside IR35 and compare

There just doesn't seem to be a calculator that lets you switch between all 3 options of Inside/Outside IR35 and sole trader

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Have you tried typing something like sole trader take home pay in to Google?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PickledFishNChips View Post
    Sorry yes, good point, there is an uplift for those:

253 working days after weekends

- 25 holiday

= 228

40,000/228 = 175 per day

So it's an uplift for the gross salary

but I'm stuck on what the take home will be as a sole trader
    But no pension, no sick pay, no training, no yearly wage increase and there must surely be other benefits gone for 3.5k extra a year?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16 June 2019, 17:00.

Leave a comment:

• PickledFishNChips
    replied
    Sorry yes, good point, there is an uplift for those:

253 working days after weekends

- 25 holiday

= 228

40,000/228 = 175 per day

So it's an uplift for the gross salary

but I'm stuck on what the take home will be as a sole trader

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So no more pension, holidays, sick and rights for the same money??

Leave a comment:

• PickledFishNChips
    replied
    My apologies

I was on 40k - so the day rate I'm told is equivalent

But that only seems to be true if I were invoicing through an intermediary, and outside IR35

If I were inside IR35, the equivalent salary would actually be lower and I'm in effect getting a significant pay cut

As a sole trader, I'm not sure!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Conventional wisdom is that £40k salary is about £40 an hour outside IR35...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is that a lot more than you were on? Doesn't seem much to give up your perm benefits for.

Leave a comment:

• Converting permanent salary to sole trader day rate?

Hi all,

I've been offered a day rate of £191 to equate to a permanent salary of £40,000

This seems to match what the calculators are saying, if I were OUTSIDE IR35. But I have moved from permanent to contractor for the same country, I would definitely be within IR35, if I were charging via an intermediary.

I'm actually working as a sole trader. I can't find any calculators that deal with this as it's so uncommon.

Can anyone please advise?

Thank you

Working...
X