• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "4 day week contract"

Collapse

• heyya99
    replied
    I think with the IR35 changes, my client will insist we all go perm so I'm factoring that in tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    Yes, it's an area completely useless to my contracting skillset. And that's the issue - will they think, he's just going to bugger off when it's done (I won't - not planning to work in my new field for a long time).
    They won't be thinking 2 years ahead for a contractor. You're better off letting them know that you'll stick around as long as they need you, as it's tricky to find a new 4 day per week contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yes, it's an area completely useless to my contracting skillset. And that's the issue - will they think, he's just going to bugger off when it's done (I won't - not planning to work in my new field for a long time).
    I very much doubt they will think that at all.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    MSc is completely pointless when comes to contracting - are you leaving the industry to become a teacher or something less well paid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    You mean you agreed a 25% rate increase at some clients?
    I've agreed a 33.3% increase at one client.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    I would to do a part-time MSc in September. It lasts 2 years, one full day per week.

I have been thinking about asking my client to reduce my contract to 4 days per week. Does anyone know if this is common practice? I'm guessing it is unlikely.
    MSc is completely pointless when comes to contracting - are you leaving the industry to become a teacher or something less well paid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• RyanDS
    replied
    Depends on the work. I've had clients where I have dropped to 3 or 4 days a week so I could go bill others part time. Usually I just have an honest conversation "You are paying me to do a project, realistically it's only 3 days a week to implement the system and you are overpaying me, so can we agree I only come in three days a week. You pay less, you still get project completed and I am free to work on other clients / study those other two days."

Only downside is I have had a couple of clients become paranoid and start throwing out NDAs etc (I work in a specific sector so by definition any work I do will be between competitors) which gets frustrating. Advantage is I charge a lot more for a company 1 day a week than a full time role so the risk of losing 5 days a week guarenteed is more than offset.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    No, billed for 5 days while working 4, easier to do when charging per hour; 4 x 10 hr days rather than 5 x 8 hr days

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I've done 5 days over 4 at some clients, especially when working away.

Anything is possible, it just depends on asking and how vital you are to the client

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I've done 5 days over 4 at some clients, especially when working away.

Anything is possible, it just depends on asking and how vital you are to the client

Leave a comment:

• kettlebellBA
    replied
    Have a look at the academic calendar - you'll probably find that there are only c32 (or less) weeks of actual teaching / study / exams so it may not need to be every week if this helps your case.

I'm doing the same, although I am on a FTC (so not a proper contractor!!) at the mo, at the institution I am studying at, so they are a bit more flexible. Its also a double whammy for them as they get a small cost saving, and gain a fee paying customer!

I would to do a part-time MSc in September. It lasts 2 years, one full day per week.

I have been thinking about asking my client to reduce my contract to 4 days per week. Does anyone know if this is common practice? I'm guessing it is unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Another consideration is how many weeks per year is the term time. Are you in fact just asking for 35 days per year?

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied

I'm just about to go 3 days a week. Third time I've done it. Just ask.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I'd suggest you discuss it with them - can you put in the hours during the 4 days?
    Have you proven the quality of your work and your work ethic to the client so that they value you highly - not just in your own mind?
    Is the course a fixed day per week?
    If this contract came to an end, is your warchest large enough to mean you don't need to be in contract while studying?
    If you need to continue working while studying, can you get a job at a local supermarket/etc?
    If push came to shove, and a good gig came up, would you forget your studies?

Or, take a different tack... Could you do the course through the OU and so your studying could be done at weekends?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    They might be flexible as you are already there but next to no chance of the next gig allowing it from the off. You cant bank at being in the same gig for the next 2 years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X