• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Predicament.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Predicament."

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    A stern agent eh?

Leave a comment:

• WLB2018
    replied
    Every day is a school day!

Unless something is written into your SOW, whatever the clientco said is just that, its words, doesnt mean it will change.

That being said, if you are happy then thats fine, personally I would have wanted an increase in rate or would have simply walked away given the amount of hassle it seemed to have caused.

Everyone is different ofc.

Good luck.

WLB.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    You're very easy to manipulate
    This contract will be an important contracting lesson for them. They will learn from this.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by Maka344 View Post
    I was told that they would support where required, and when the other contractors start, they will split the work too. There’s too much for one person hence the split in work and travel.

I’m happy with that approach.
    You're very easy to manipulate

Leave a comment:

• Maka344
    replied
    What changed between this

and this
    I was told that they would support where required, and when the other contractors start, they will split the work too. There’s too much for one person hence the split in work and travel.

I’m happy with that approach.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Update: Spoke to the agent who was quite stern.

Also spoke to clientco and they agreed once the new resources start travel will be 1 day per week. Clientco was Keen to keep me wish to offer me an extension - what’s the best way to negotiate a rate increase? Initial rate was quite a bit lower due to first contract.
    If you were happy to stay for a rate increase and less work then that's the conversation you should have had with the agent.

I think you've blown most of your opportunity for a rate increase already. Might be worth a go but you've get less bargaining power now.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied

Also spoke to clientco and they agreed once the new resources start travel will be 1 day per week. Clientco was Keen to keep me wish to offer me an extension - what’s the best way to negotiate a rate increase? Initial rate was quite a bit lower due to first contract.
    This made mu chuckle

There is no silver bullet / golden formula for rate hike negotiations. Personally I quote change in work load and/or market conditions. But in your case it will be less travel, presumably less stress, what will warrant a rate increase?

If they are looking for 2 more like you how much are they offering?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

and this

This.....

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied

In addition to the travel, I am not happy with the work. It’s a bit of a car crash and there’s no real support from management. I have decided to move on.
    and this

Leave a comment:

• Maka344
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Since you two guys are on the same page after all (for once), maybe you could just give us a nice rendition of The Hallelujah Chorus?

The harmony won't last long, of course, but maybe long enough to get through that piece, it really isn't all that long. And it would be better listening than what you usually give us.
    BB trying to be Billy big balls and shooting himself squarely in the foot isn't really being on the same page.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 January 2019, 10:43.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Since you two guys are on the same page after all (for once), maybe you could just give us a nice rendition of The Hallelujah Chorus?

The harmony won't last long, of course, but maybe long enough to get through that piece, it really isn't all that long. And it would be better listening than what you usually give us.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    "Prove it's correct"? Why? Because agents think that contractors are really short-term permies? And you think that makes it correct? You agree with them?
    I do not at all. The OP asked if this being a short contract would be an issue for him. I pointed out having a number of years of them won't look great to an agent and you've explained to whom it might and then admitted most agents are like this... so as I said, it might be an issue if he has 10-16 gigs in 3 years.

I don't see anywhere I said I agreed with the agents and certainly can't see why it's rubbish. He asked a question, I responded and you qualified why it might be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Hmmm. You call it rubbish and then go on to prove it's correct. Way to go BB. Out done yourself this time.
    "Prove it's correct"? Why? Because agents think that contractors are really short-term permies? And you think that makes it correct? You agree with them?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Rubbish.

I only "looks a bit suss" to idiots who think of contractors as nothing more than temporary permies. Admittedly, most agents are like this (although their belief doesn't make it right) as well as a number of other "contractors" it seems. Especially some of the ones on here.
    Hmmm. You call it rubbish and then go on to prove it's correct. Way to go BB. Out done yourself this time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X