• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What to say to "Are you interviewing somewhere"?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Stock answer, no matter how far along you are with other applications:

"I'm in for a couple of roles elsewhere but not heard anything firm yet. Yours sounds the most interesting...."
    Yep spot on.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Stock answer, no matter how far along you are with other applications:

"I'm in for a couple of roles elsewhere but not heard anything firm yet. Yours sounds the most interesting...."

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    So where'd NLUK go on this thread? Not actually realising I'm not wrong here has he? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Always say yes (but never where) Say you have one or two phone interviews planned but nothing in a final stage yet. This means you're not at risk of being take of the market immediately and also you're sought after.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by Kprad35 View Post
    I am not sure what to say if Agent or interviewer asks "Are you interviewing somewhere?

So far I have said No because agent wouldnt consider anyone who may not be available during the interview process.Is it true?

But what to say if interviewer asks the same question.would you say the truth so he wont delay in making decision?
    I politely decline to answer the question unless it was at the place where the agent wants to play you at or you are in a very time limited situation.

Lots of this going on at the minute (asking about interviews) as many agents not done much business in Oct/Nov. end of year is here and its all getting a bit desperate. They won't tell you that of course but that's the underlying theme.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    I propose two points here

1) The agent is seeking to understand whether you have any serious offers on the table that would stop you from a) attending interview and/or b) taking up the offer if one was on the table, and so avoiding wasting her/his time especially if they can only submit x amount of CVs to the end client

2) The agent is trying to extract leads from you when you respond "yes, I'm interviewing at xyz Ltd"

One can always tell if the agent is after a lead as they normally come back with either a blatant "who is interviewing you?" or that other old chestnut of "is it Joe Bloggs holding the interview as I know him well?" hoping that you fall for the trap and respond "no, it's frederica smith actually".

I tend to state, as others have replied, that I have only just started to look so at show willingness/keeness and never reveal anything about option #2

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Unless you're at the dole office, in which case you borrow your gran's old wheelchair.

Remember OG - JSA claimant is a perfectly valid career choice in the Welsh valleys ;-)

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    I just tell them Im retired now!

When I was working, I used to try and gauge the situation. Sometimes I told them yes, I had an interview lined up. Did it lose me jobs? Maybe but I know it also got me in front of a couple of interviewers.

If an interviewer asked, always told them the SP honestly so they wouldnt be surprised if they dragged their feet and Id gone 'off the market' due to another offer.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Lie to them. If they think you're on the verge of being off the market due to another offer then they may not want to waste one of your slots on you.

I always say I've got a few things on the go. Usually makes it sound like I;m good then
    Unless you're at the dole office, in which case you borrow your gran's old wheelchair.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ever the professional hey PC. Shame you have to lie to make it sound like you are good. Speaks volumes.
    Dont talk bollacks NLUK. You and I both know that the agent are not asking you to make conversation or to be friendly - they are trying to get information to see if you are worth bothering with.

Honestly, now we go on about keep looking until your sat at the desk. If you got an offer to start in two weeks, yet week after got an agent on line asking you to interview somewhere else would you say "Yes but I have offered a gig already and probably going to take it".

No you would not. Because you know the agent would think "sod that not wasting my slot on him he'll take that other gig".

Am I lying here?

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by Kprad35 View Post
    I am not sure what to say if Agent or interviewer asks "Are you interviewing somewhere?
    Generally, it is a stupid question that deserves a stupid answer. "No, I mandate I always keep all my eggs in one basket."

That said, like above, I will say I have just started looking to keep the peace.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Lie to them. If they think you're on the verge of being off the market due to another offer then they may not want to waste one of your slots on you.

I always say I've got a few things on the go. Usually makes it sound like I;m good then
    Ever the professional hey PC. Shame you have to lie to make it sound like you are good. Speaks volumes.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Generally, I'll say I've only recently started looking, had some interest in my CV and am awaiting feedback.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Contractor101101
    replied
    For the above reasons it makes sense to say no.

I do wonder though whether agents are trying to gauge whether a contractor is capable of getting and passing interviews?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X