• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Requiring Technical References..."

Collapse

• man
    replied
    I've had this asked of me before and I simply invite them to get in touch with people who have recommended me on LinkedIn as the way I look at it, this information is already publically out there so I'm not giving anything away. Have also previously had an end client do exactly this (ask a LI recommender) without asking permission (fortunately the recommender was happy to back up their recommendation so I got the gig - and I don't blame the client for checking).

I've yet to provide an agency with anything else in relation to 'technical references'. It's all a load of rubbish anyway, as people who like you will (hopefully) say you know plenty about the technologies and those who don't will probably say you're rubbish irrespective.

If anyone does feel like giving away more, don't give them your hiring manager details otherwise you really have fallen into the 'just 2 references' trap.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    I agree in principle but the dilemma is, what if you are 50/50 sure a job is genuine based on the lengths they went to explain it, but that they will not put you forward without a reference?

That is where I found myself and after losing a couple of potential gigs to this I caved.

I would much prefer to have money and vaguely possibly piss off some people, so I figured calculated risk.
    I think you'll find the probabilities are the reverse of what you've suggested.

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Any organization that gives a reference can be sued.

If I really had to give a technical reference, I would never involve the agent. I would only give it to the client.
    I agree in principle but the dilemma is, what if you are 50/50 sure a job is genuine based on the lengths they went to explain it, but that they will not put you forward without a reference?

That is where I found myself and after losing a couple of potential gigs to this I caved.

I would much prefer to have money and vaguely possibly piss off some people, so I figured calculated risk.

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Did an agent tell you that?
    That's it.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    Not my experience.
    If an organisation wants you to project manage, say, a ERP implementation they want to hear from other organisations you've done this for before. Clients will sometimes want to know that you have a verifiable track record before they interview you. Not always, but sometimes.
    Never heard of that it my life. Did an agent tell you that?

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    Not my experience.
    If an organisation wants you to project manage, say, a ERP implementation they want to hear from other organisations you've done this for before. Clients will sometimes want to know that you have a verifiable track record before they interview you. Not always, but sometimes.
    Any organization that gives a reference can be sued.

If I really had to give a technical reference, I would never involve the agent. I would only give it to the client.

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Any reputable agent(oxymoron?) will understand you can only give your last agent as a reference. Anything else is fishing.
    Not my experience.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Any reputable agent(oxymoron?) will understand you can only give your last agent as a reference. Anything else is fishing.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Is it actually banned by law or just bad idea, so most don't?
    Apologies - I was at a place at the time where they decreed them as banned, presumably for the protection from litigation:
    https://www.gov.uk/work-reference <-- here's the full details of the rules.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    It's not banned by law. It opens whoever gave the bad reference to potential legal issues. If I lost a gig because someone said I was crap with absolutely no evidence I'd be able to sue them. There is no benefit for anyone to open themselves to that level of risk so it's a bad idea to give anything but the basic facts.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Dave hasn't quit yet and Bill doesn't want him to.
    It's very difficult to get rid of permies these days because they're "a bit crap". If they really suck, it still takes a performance review or two, so potentially 18 months.

That's partly why the who subjective references thing was banned - you never know how valid the reference was; "oh yeah, he's great" could mean what it says, or "please take him, it will save us getting rid"

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
    How would Bill give a bad reference for Dave and make sense of the fact that he hasn't fired Dave for his poor work?
    Dave hasn't quit yet and Bill doesn't want him to.
    It's very difficult to get rid of permies these days because they're "a bit crap". If they really suck, it still takes a performance review or two, so potentially 18 months.

That's partly why the who subjective references thing was banned - you never know how valid the reference was; "oh yeah, he's great" could mean what it says, or "please take him, it will save us getting rid"

Leave a comment:

• 1manshow
    replied
    Not only that but there has been anecdotal evidence of bad references given because Bill rates highly and doesn't want Dave to leave. Dave therefore fails to get the job he's applied for.
    How would Bill give a bad reference for Dave and make sense of the fact that he hasn't fired Dave for his poor work?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Any technical references have to come people you personally know and may have worked with. This is because as LondonManc said if someone in a company gives you a technical reference and it is untrue, you can sue them and the company for defamation.
    Not only that but there has been anecdotal evidence of bad references given because Bill rates highly and doesn't want Dave to leave. Dave therefore fails to get the job he's applied for.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Any technical references have to come people you personally know and may have worked with. This is because as LondonManc said if someone in a company gives you a technical reference and it is untrue, you can sue them and the company for deflamation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X