• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "5 years worth of references"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    If directly asked, yes.
    Ah right, well most screening processes flag up these things, along with a DBS check. It's up to their operational risk policy as to what crimes can be accepted as risks - you getting in a fight as a student vs drink driving two years ago for example.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I'm not sure where you're going with this?
    It's only billy. Don't spend too much thought or energy on it.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied

Do you mean declaring that you have been at one of HMP's chain of hotels?
    If directly asked, yes.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Yes, of course, misrepresenting where you've been is indeed a no-no as you rightly point out.

But if you've not claimed anything that is untrue?

Do you mean declaring that you have been at one of HMP's chain of hotels?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
    Client for my latest gig want 5 years worth of references. I know this is uncommon, but given the role, it's a legitimate request. I feel uncomfortable about it, but am going to have to do it.

What is best practice for approaching this?
    Best practise for providing references when you know you have to do it, is to ...... errr...... do it.

Not really sure what advice you're after here. What makes you think that companies will still have your details that long anyway? GDPR has put paid to that so just give the agency what they want and if they draw a blank when chasing there's sod all you can do anyway.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Hi,

Client for my latest gig want 5 years worth of references. I know this is uncommon, but given the role, it's a legitimate request. I feel uncomfortable about it, but am going to have to do it.

What is best practice for approaching this?

Thanks,
    Untouchable1
    Its not remotely uncommon at all for many years now. Not sure why your uncomfortable about it this is pretty standard practice.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    If you've claimed you were on a six month gig with a client rather than residing at Strangeways Hotel, Sherborne St, Manchester, then you're committing an act of fraud, punishable, ironically enough, by a 12-stretch, potentially at the establishment just mentioned.
    Yes, of course, misrepresenting where you've been is indeed a no-no as you rightly point out.

But if you've not claimed anything that is untrue?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    And if you were? It's quite possible it could be a spent conviction, and does having spent time "holidaying in HMP Manchester" prevent you from doing the job they'd be paying you for?
    If you've claimed you were on a six month gig with a client rather than residing at Strangeways Hotel, Sherborne St, Manchester, then you're committing an act of fraud, punishable, ironically enough, by a 12-stretch, potentially at the establishment just mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• MattFromEarth
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
    You'll find in this thread some of the monkey business agencies with regards to references.

If you are going for SC with MoD or the banking sector then different story, I'd personally and sternly ask why they want such a detailed reference of 5 years. My personal favourite: Point them to the agencies you gigged with and watch and they stop dead on the bat on references (Agencies hate speaking to each other ).
    I wouldn't bet your life on that. I've just had to supply 5 years of references and put down the various agencies I have used in that time. Current agent got in touch with the lot who all complied apart from one who wouldn't release any information until they had my explicit consent due to GDPR

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    For references, they want to confirm that you weren't holidaying in HMP Manchester or another of her maj's chain of hotels.
    And if you were? It's quite possible it could be a spent conviction, and does having spent time "holidaying in HMP Manchester" prevent you from doing the job they'd be paying you for?

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    I reckon you should only worry if your previous clients refuse to even acknowledge you worked there...like one of mine did. Apparently they didn't like the fact that I handed them a 5 figure bill for late payment fees and interest. Not sure what they expected after 2.5 years of not a single payment on time for a fixed price 2 year contract worth 7 figures!
    Even then it wasn't the end of my new contract

Leave a comment:

• Untouchable1
    replied
    Oh dear.

You don't need to give references like the old sense of "was he any good".

References these days are simply to prove that you were there. Just give the agency details. They deal with these sort of things every day.
    Yup, got that

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Given the contract this is a legitimate request.

I decided just to send a note to all my contacts asking them if they would be happy to provide references. They all were, so I just sent their email addresses to the recruiter.

All good in the hood.

Untouchable1
    Oh dear.

You don't need to give references like the old sense of "was he any good".

References these days are simply to prove that you were there. Just give the agency details. They deal with these sort of things every day.

Leave a comment:

• Untouchable1
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    Why do you feel uncomfortable?
    Because I've built great relationships with these people and I'm sure a bad recruiter could find things to say to them that would on some level be weird / damaging!

To be fair, in this case the recruiter is a sound chap and v. professional.

Leave a comment:

• Untouchable1
    replied
    Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Given the contract this is a legitimate request.

I decided just to send a note to all my contacts asking them if they would be happy to provide references. They all were, so I just sent their email addresses to the recruiter.

All good in the hood.

Untouchable1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X