• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

5 years worth of references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 years worth of references

Hi,

Client for my latest gig want 5 years worth of references. I know this is uncommon, but given the role, it's a legitimate request. I feel uncomfortable about it, but am going to have to do it.

What is best practice for approaching this?

Thanks,
    Untouchable1

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
    Hi,

Client for my latest gig want 5 years worth of references. I know this is uncommon, but given the role, it's a legitimate request. I feel uncomfortable about it, but am going to have to do it.

Thanks,
    Untouchable1
    It depends on how much you're prepared to argue and how long you've been trading.

Over the last few years I've tended to only provide a reference from my accountants.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks,
      Untouchable1
      You'll find in this thread some of the monkey business agencies with regards to references.

If you are going for SC with MoD or the banking sector then different story, I'd personally and sternly ask why they want such a detailed reference of 5 years. My personal favourite: Point them to the agencies you gigged with and watch and they stop dead on the bat on references (Agencies hate speaking to each other ).

Comment

Hi,

Thanks,
        Untouchable1
        If banking, you can provide the references or forget the contract and some do 10 years

Comment

For references, they want to confirm that you weren't holidaying in HMP Manchester or another of her maj's chain of hotels.

Provide dates and agency details.
          If direct, provide accountant details.
          Other end clients need not be involved.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I feel uncomfortable about it, but am going to have to do it.
            Why do you feel uncomfortable?

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
              It depends on how much you're prepared to argue and how long you've been trading.

Over the last few years I've tended to only provide a reference from my accountants.
              Depends what type of reference they are asking for - normally (IME) it is to prove confirmation of previous contracts, in which case agency references are more applicable.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Given the contract this is a legitimate request.

I decided just to send a note to all my contacts asking them if they would be happy to provide references. They all were, so I just sent their email addresses to the recruiter.

All good in the hood.

Untouchable1

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
                  Why do you feel uncomfortable?
                  Because I've built great relationships with these people and I'm sure a bad recruiter could find things to say to them that would on some level be weird / damaging!

To be fair, in this case the recruiter is a sound chap and v. professional.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Given the contract this is a legitimate request.

I decided just to send a note to all my contacts asking them if they would be happy to provide references. They all were, so I just sent their email addresses to the recruiter.

All good in the hood.

Untouchable1
                    Oh dear.

You don't need to give references like the old sense of "was he any good".

References these days are simply to prove that you were there. Just give the agency details. They deal with these sort of things every day.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X