• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "An amateur mistake - Brexit Impact"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    All I can say is my last but one contract finished June 16 and it has been nothing but hard work finding new contracts or getting a decent rate ever since. I am reluctant to blame the result for my woes as we might have been due a downturn anyway but it probably hasn't helped.

We are getting into the range of where a long contract will go past March 19 so I imagine Europeans are reluctant to employ British people until our fates are decided (although on the upside the same is true for Europeans over here).

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

It seems in order to work in Belgium one must enjoy being fleeced by the taxman and enjoy speaking with a throat infection.
    and enjoy beer that is nowhere near as good as they'd try and have you believe

I used to have a joke about the Belgians being famous only for chocolates and child abuse; and the chocolate was only to get to the kids......

then Jimmy bloody Savile........

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    This is quite true. I've been seeing this recently on many German websites and is quite a new development. You would always see it on French/German/Belgian/etc. job adverts but German ones were quite happy to accept people who were primarily English speaking (with poor German) but no longer.
    Yup, also the Belgian loons insisting on Dutch more than ever now.

It's Flemish and secondly my first language is French having grown up in Belgium.

It seems in order to work in Belgium one must enjoy being fleeced by the taxman and enjoy speaking with a throat infection.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

One thing I have noticed is a steady increase of clients in Germany requiring German language skills (presumably as a filter - companies where working and documentation language is English). Some have even been as blatant (for longer term projects) to ask for a passport other than UK. I doubt this is yet legal.
    This is quite true. I've been seeing this recently on many German websites and is quite a new development. You would always see it on French/German/Belgian/etc. job adverts but German ones were quite happy to accept people who were primarily English speaking (with poor German) but no longer.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    In the B##### forum with all the other s*ite.
    Who's gregg?
    Purveyor of fine pastries.

Never tried their Sausage and bean bake?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Where would you choose a discussion about EU clients being selective over UK contractor passports be? Round the back of Greggs?
    In the B##### forum with all the other s*ite.
    Who's gregg?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Have the rules changed again? - what's this doing in Prof forum?
    Where would you choose a discussion about EU clients being selective over UK contractor passports be? Round the back of Greggs?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Have the rules changed again? - what's this doing in Prof forum?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Be careful posting fake facts yourself. Youth unemployment in Germany is the lowest in the entire EU, almost half of that in the UK

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-eu-countries/
    yes. I know. I wasn't very clear was I?
    I meant southern Europe.

Not fake facts but just poorly presented.

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    CFL I am having the same issue. Rates on JS are mostly a joke; I saw someone after a 3rd line infrastructure guy with a skills list as long as your leg for £220 a day, in LONDON! 3rd line in London is £300 minimum and most would consider that more 2nd line / desktop support.

It's taken me since Jan 3rd to line up 3 interviews and most of them have come at the same time, so stick at it and something will come off. Everywhere is just a little slow.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oh. Another B word that should not be spoken. Benchtime incoming in 10...9....
    Noted. I am missing Boo.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Oh. Another B word that should not be spoken. Benchtime incoming in 10...9....

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    And the Germans know they need to wean themselves off UK contracting resource in case the worst happens next March.
    Yup. Just got off the phone from a bizarre conversion with an Indian (irony?) asking me what my primary nationality was as she did not know where Spain was, and did not understand the concept of dual nationality.

Oh my. I am entertaining Indians.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 30 January 2018, 10:23. Reason: humoring NLUK

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Careful. Them lot don't like facts and stuff.
    You'll be defacing this safe space with evidence at this rate.

To answer the question. Market is slow all over. As for Europe, they have the largest youth unemployment problem in decades and that is bound to squeeze rates.

And the Germans know they need to wean themselves off UK contracting resource in case the worst happens next March.
    Be careful posting fake facts yourself. Youth unemployment in Germany is the lowest in the entire EU, almost half of that in the UK

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-eu-countries/

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    We'll see. It's not an opinion on Brexit, rather a first hand account of Brexit impact on UK contractors.....
    Careful. Them lot don't like facts and stuff.
    You'll be defacing this safe space with evidence at this rate.

To answer the question. Market is slow all over. As for Europe, they have the largest youth unemployment problem in decades and that is bound to squeeze rates.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X