• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An amateur mistake - Brexit Impact

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have the rules changed again? - what's this doing in Prof forum?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      Have the rules changed again? - what's this doing in Prof forum?
      Where would you choose a discussion about EU clients being selective over UK contractor passports be? Round the back of Greggs?

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        Where would you choose a discussion about EU clients being selective over UK contractor passports be? Round the back of Greggs?
        In the B##### forum with all the other s*ite.
        Who's gregg?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          In the B##### forum with all the other s*ite.
          Who's gregg?
          Purveyor of fine pastries.

Never tried their Sausage and bean bake?

Comment

One thing I have noticed is a steady increase of clients in Germany requiring German language skills (presumably as a filter - companies where working and documentation language is English). Some have even been as blatant (for longer term projects) to ask for a passport other than UK. I doubt this is yet legal.
            This is quite true. I've been seeing this recently on many German websites and is quite a new development. You would always see it on French/German/Belgian/etc. job adverts but German ones were quite happy to accept people who were primarily English speaking (with poor German) but no longer.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              This is quite true. I've been seeing this recently on many German websites and is quite a new development. You would always see it on French/German/Belgian/etc. job adverts but German ones were quite happy to accept people who were primarily English speaking (with poor German) but no longer.
              Yup, also the Belgian loons insisting on Dutch more than ever now.

It's Flemish and secondly my first language is French having grown up in Belgium.

It seems in order to work in Belgium one must enjoy being fleeced by the taxman and enjoy speaking with a throat infection.

Comment

It seems in order to work in Belgium one must enjoy being fleeced by the taxman and enjoy speaking with a throat infection.
                and enjoy beer that is nowhere near as good as they'd try and have you believe

I used to have a joke about the Belgians being famous only for chocolates and child abuse; and the chocolate was only to get to the kids......

then Jimmy bloody Savile........
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

All I can say is my last but one contract finished June 16 and it has been nothing but hard work finding new contracts or getting a decent rate ever since. I am reluctant to blame the result for my woes as we might have been due a downturn anyway but it probably hasn't helped.

We are getting into the range of where a long contract will go past March 19 so I imagine Europeans are reluctant to employ British people until our fates are decided (although on the upside the same is true for Europeans over here).

Comment

Working...
                  X