• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?"

Collapse

• wantacontract
    replied
    I have just started a 4 hour round trip commute...thrown in the towel already and staying local for 3 nights.....but missing the kids already!

Leave a comment:

• coolhandluke
    replied
    I'm currently suffering a 3 hour round trip. I've lasted 9 months so far, but I won't be renewing unless there is a significant uplift in my day rate. Nearly crashed a couple of times due to taking risks from frustration!

Leave a comment:

• lillie421
    replied
    Personally, I could not do this. It all depends on you as a person but I think after a couple of months you would get fed up and tired of the constant travelling and it will begin to feel like that's all you're doing. For me, after I have finished work, I just want to get home and so I would hate to have to travel for 2 hours. Not for me.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    U
    Originally posted by MSC7 View Post

This of course means commuting into the city 2 days per week, which involves 0430 wake up, 0530 train and sat at desk for 0730. It's a personal preference to travel this early to avoid rush hour. Working for a manager with whom I've built the trust to leave at 1600 and be home for 1845. This I've been doing for 3+ years and it works well. The most I'd do this for is 3 days a week however, given the sacrifice it result in not seeing family (2 children under 3!)
    Pre-wake up and post-bedtime routines - you've got that timing down to a tee
    Last edited by kaiser78; 14 December 2017, 22:26.

Leave a comment:

• MSC7
    replied
    I worked in the City for a few years before realising I was spending the majority (2+days) working from home. At that point we decided to move back up north with a young family, prioritising value for money on home/better quality of life etc

This of course means commuting into the city 2 days per week, which involves 0430 wake up, 0530 train and sat at desk for 0730. It's a personal preference to travel this early to avoid rush hour. Working for a manager with whom I've built the trust to leave at 1600 and be home for 1845. This I've been doing for 3+ years and it works well. The most I'd do this for is 3 days a week however, given the sacrifice it result in not seeing family (2 children under 3!)

The constant risk is not being able to find a contract with this sort of flexibility, at which point I'll be forced to take a local contract with less money and more days in the office. In this context, the current contract, despite additional commute time allows for additional family time than a local contract (and of course a significantly better day rate)

In short, only accept the contract if there is flexibility and don't do more than 3+ days would be my two pence - choose life like many have said.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• mjcp
    replied
    Not quite 2 hrs but I drive 1hr 40 most days with occasional 2hr days (each way) - M25/M1 or M40/x country depends on the numpties around Luton most days...

Its tedious, no two ways about it. I used to justify it as @I could be waiting for/sitting ona train to go into London for the same time, but not get the millage etc etc (car is 15p/mile to run)

But the reality is that (IMHO) much more than 1hr 20 is a pain! Fortunately, the client is flexible and I only do it 3 days a week (could be all WFH if I wanted but I find its hand to be in the loop that forms when in the office)

not withstanding the above... I've just done a 57 min trip to the centre of town for an interview (not the only reason, but travel time was a factor) ... so I guess that sums up what I think of a 2 hr commute: If you have no choice or are getting some other win, OK, but I'd think twice.

m

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Fair play. Probably of 90 mins commute on train for two years. 500 days so 750 hours I probably spent 600 hours applying for JSA
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    Been doing it for years, use the first hour on the train on the ipad to study and the remaining 45 mins to catch up on game or thrones or whatever else i am watching. same on the return journey. Take exams then up my rate and move onto better roles. Dont see it all as a negative. Mind you I am in a relationship and no dependants, might be different if you have kids or stuff
    Fair play. Probably of 90 mins commute on train for two years. 500 days so 750 hours I probably spent 600 hours having a kip!

Leave a comment:

• Yonmons
    replied
    Done it on more than one gig in the past since the change in T&S I don't and wont do it again. I am quite specific about it now. This short contract I am on finishes this month its involved travelling to another site 70 miles away for that (now) they get me commuting in their time not mine, so its 2hrs to site (from my normal place of work) 4hrs on site, 2 hrs back to normal place of work...easy and can make for a pleasant working day !

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Been doing it for years, use the first hour on the train on the ipad to study and the remaining 45 mins to catch up on game or thrones or whatever else i am watching. same on the return journey. Take exams then up my rate and move onto better roles. Dont see it all as a negative. Mind you I am in a relationship and no dependants, might be different if you have kids or stuff

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
    Hello all,

I am coming across some opportunities where the commute is on average 2hrs each way (4hrs total a day).
    Sounds like an ordinary commute through London, such as when I was living in SE and the client was in West. The commute, including changes, walking etc was close to 2hrs.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    I have done a few stints commuting in this way. Memorable ones included doing the Birmingham<>London commute back when the trains took 2hrs+. I used to fall asleep on the way home.

My reason back then was I needed a job after the dot-com bust.

Impact on personal life is an easy one to answer as the guys I know who still do long commutes don't like being at home much and when they do finally get home the wife has the dinner waiting and has taken care of the kids.

They also have ready made excuses to avoid any social gatherings after work and for being late/leaving early 'because there are x problems with x mode of transport'.

So, in their terms, their personal life is just great. They also take great amusement in putting in a whacking great expenses claim for said overpriced train ticket or brand new car/SUV on the treacle.

In terms of health they look about 10 years older than I do and around 2 stone heavier than they should be as their ass is sat on a train/car seat for 4 hours a day.

All in all I bump into these kinda cats fairly regularly and the template usually fits.

If the above floats your boat then step right in if not, run a mile.
    Until their wife shacks up with someone who is around more and looks their actual age rather than 10 years older.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
    People are quite adaptable and as above I have seen some people do it but not sure what impact this has on their health and personal life.
    I have done a few stints commuting in this way. Memorable ones included doing the Birmingham<>London commute back when the trains took 2hrs+. I used to fall asleep on the way home.

My reason back then was I needed a job after the dot-com bust.

Impact on personal life is an easy one to answer as the guys I know who still do long commutes don't like being at home much and when they do finally get home the wife has the dinner waiting and has taken care of the kids.

They also have ready made excuses to avoid any social gatherings after work and for being late/leaving early 'because there are x problems with x mode of transport'.

So, in their terms, their personal life is just great. They also take great amusement in putting in a whacking great expenses claim for said overpriced train ticket or brand new car/SUV on the treacle.

In terms of health they look about 10 years older than I do and around 2 stone heavier than they should be as their ass is sat on a train/car seat for 4 hours a day.

All in all I bump into these kinda cats fairly regularly and the template usually fits.

If the above floats your boat then step right in if not, run a mile.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I AM the Northern Powerhouse!
    That would realistically cover what George has said he'd spend on the north unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    True. I meant being passive and sitting on your bum.

Not being active and sitting on your bum.
    cheers, the bike's a bit of a cheat though, all being told

Leave a comment:

Working...
X