• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Requirement to be SC cleared to apply for job"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    I applied for a role at Sussex police hq I did not have clearance other than IB. I was given nppv3 clearance, within a year of leaving I took a role with MoJ who transferred the clearance.

I applied and have been offered a role with the cabinet office the nppv3 is not acceptable and I will be going through SC, I was just telling the op that not having SC does not prevent you from getting the role, if you are the right person for the job.

if the agency won't put them forward then it's pretty damn preventative

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    I applied for a role at Sussex police hq I did not have clearance other than IB. I was given nppv3 clearance, within a year of leaving I took a role with MoJ who transferred the clearance.

I applied and have been offered a role with the cabinet office the nppv3 is not acceptable and I will be going through SC, I was just telling the op that not having SC does not prevent you from getting the role, if you are the right person for the job.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    From a reg number you can get someone's name and address.

Don't need SC for that just basic clearance to check you haven't got a history of being a crook, and then a contractual clause where they sue (and bankrupt you) if you fall foul of the DPA.
    I could follow the car home and get the address. Or ask my copper mate to run a PNC for me!

I wasn't cleared for anything when I was on NHS Spine, yet they let me (potentially) see patient records.

Just doesn't seem consistent, I mean what's signing the official secrets act got to do with who's registered ED12 TGY. I could understand it at BNFL when I was there, I could see allsorts there....

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It would also help to know what roles; tea boy or programme manager. If you don't get near sensitive material they'll let you start with some level of clearance and upgrade it as necessary. If you're a niche skill, same rules apply, they just keep you away from the data. If you 're a network engineer or a sysadmin or something along those lines, no clearance equals no job, which is perfectly reasonable as well.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yes
    Three different gigs at different agencies all requiring SC which you don't have and they gave you a gig???

Getting an interview or getting the gig? Can you elaborate as it's not that useful as it stands.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Who are you replying to?
    Op

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Did they require SC?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    This is not the case, I have just been offered a role at cabinet office I do not have full sc only nppv3. I have also worked previously at MoJ and DoH have never had any probs getting an interview and the role.
    Did they require SC?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Done two SC gigs at the DVLA still no idea why SC was needed.

Data protection yeah, but whats sensitive? Someones reg no?

Couldn’t even see those...
    From a reg number you can get someone's name and address.

Don't need SC for that just basic clearance to check you haven't got a history of being a crook, and then a contractual clause where they sue (and bankrupt you) if you fall foul of the DPA.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    This is not the case, I have just been offered a role at cabinet office I do not have full sc only nppv3. I have also worked previously at MoJ and DoH have never had any probs getting an interview and the role.
    Who are you replying to?

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    I suspect that argument falls apart when DVLA realise after 8 months of advertising identical roles they maybe should drop the SC requirement...
    Done two SC gigs at the DVLA still no idea why SC was needed.

Data protection yeah, but whats sensitive? Someones reg no?

Couldn’t even see those...

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Unless it's actually required in which case they can't.
    Yeah, they have.

If it's required, then that's fine. What they really mean is they a) don't want to pay for it, b) don't want to pay for your time whilst waiting for it to be processed and c) don't want to risk candidates failing it. There's being risk averse and there's being incredibly anal to the point you don't fill roles. Roles advertised because you need people.

What any forward thinking place would do would be to at least look at the candidates available and make informed choices. If candidates have Disclosure Scotland, BPSS then any risk of them failing SC would generally be lower than that of random scrote off the street. If someone already has SC even better, reduces that risk even more if the company wants a fresh application rather than transferring.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Originally posted by achilles View Post
    It only takes 4-6 weeks for SC clearance for be granted. Agencies typically wait for at least a month for get their first invoice paid so I do not think this argument is valid. There can be no excuse for discrimination in the work place and that is exactly what this is.
    It's completely valid. They can't bill for the 4-6 weeks while waiting for your clearance. What their invoice timescales are with the client is irrelevant.

It's not discrimination in the workplace either. Your company is bidding for work. Your company doesn't have anyone who can start the role immediately, so you lose the bid for work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    I suspect that argument falls apart when DVLA realise after 8 months of advertising identical roles they maybe should drop the SC requirement...
    Unless it's actually required in which case they can't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X