• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: un-usual clauses

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "un-usual clauses"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    In any large or medium sized company the requirements have to be documented somewhere.

So they can come up to you and ask you to do something but either you or they have to as a minimum send an email with what is agreed.

Normally there is some other processes involved which means the requirement is logged elsewhere as well.
    or at the very least, as a professional, you document (email) the new requirement so it's not just verbal

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    But in many places, if a client comes up to you with a verbal requirement, they just expect it to be done. Basically I wouldn't want this clause on a contract without a very precise definition of what "defective or otherwise unacceptable" means.
    In any large or medium sized company the requirements have to be documented somewhere.

So they can come up to you and ask you to do something but either you or they have to as a minimum send an email with what is agreed.

Normally there is some other processes involved which means the requirement is logged elsewhere as well.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Have you never had a conversation along the lines of "Why does it do that?", "That's what you asked for?", "No I didn't!"?

https://i0.wp.com/www.fressadi.com/b...ize=1024%2C743

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I always stick to the mantra of:
    - say what I'm going to do (Statement of work)
    - do it (the work)
    - prove it (testing)
    - sign it off

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    It is called email.
    But in many places, if a client comes up to you with a verbal requirement, they just expect it to be done. Basically I wouldn't want this clause on a contract without a very precise definition of what "defective or otherwise unacceptable" means.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Have you never had a conversation along the lines of "Why does it do that?", "That's what you asked for?", "No I didn't!"?
    It is called email.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Do what the solution suppliers do, and get code signd off in testing. Once it's signed off, any issues raised become a change request.
    I always stick to the mantra of:
    - say what I'm going to do (Statement of work)
    - do it (the work)
    - prove it (testing)

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In order to explain a bug there must be a line or lines of code that need to be fixed. Any version control system will tell you who wrote those lines of code, i.e. the customer puts in an order id and the system brings up a user input screen with a completely different order. Clearly that is a bug and should be fixed. There are also problems caused by mistakes in the way the customer used the system. Sometimes the customer will simply ask for an improvement or simply complain what he asks for isn't actually adequate i.e. typically it is a bit slow, however those aren't bugs and can just be refused unless it can be demonstrated that it makes the system unusable.
    Do what the solution suppliers do, and get code signd off in testing. Once it's signed off, any issues raised become a change request.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    In order to explain a bug there must be a line or lines of code that need to be fixed. Any version control system will tell you who wrote those lines of code, i.e. the customer puts in an order id and the system brings up a user input screen with a completely different order. Clearly that is a bug and should be fixed. There are also problems caused by mistakes in the way the customer used the system. Sometimes the customer will simply ask for an improvement or simply complain what he asks for isn't actually adequate i.e. typically it is a bit slow, however those aren't bugs and can just be refused unless it can be demonstrated that it makes the system unusable.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Really? I've experienced significant arguments over this (not me directly, but my client/their client).

Fair point though, if you spend time investigating something and it turns out not to be your fault, you should have a clause in there to invoice them. You're going to need to seriously keep copies of the specification. A lot of clients will try to pass of mis-specification as 'bugs'.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    It is easy to distinguish a bug caused by you as opposed to a customer's own problem or obvious new requirement which you can then charge out for.
    Really? I've experienced significant arguments over this (not me directly, but my client/their client).

Fair point though, if you spend time investigating something and it turns out not to be your fault, you should have a clause in there to invoice them. You're going to need to seriously keep copies of the specification. A lot of clients will try to pass of mis-specification as 'bugs'.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    With respect to fixing bugs. I spend a lot of my time investigating problems. It is easy to distinguish a bug caused by you as opposed to a customer's own problem or obvious new requirement which you can then charge out for. I would therefore try and get something in there to that effect, i.e. you'll sort out bugs but you will be paid for unnecessary call outs.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    £145 for a sensible review is probably not a bad outlay if it secures you a multi-thousand pound contract (against which you can reclaim the cost anyway). And with solicitors' fees being what they are I doubt you will find anything cheaper.

The VAT is largely irrelevant if YourCo does all the paying directly, i.e. not by you paying and reclaiming it, since it all works out level in due course.

Leave a comment:

• Lambert Simnel
    replied
    Sounds like the first point potentially leaves you on the hook for any required bug-fixes for a year after leaving, and the third means that you are to let their auditors pop into your house (err, I mean business premises) at any point they fancy in the next three years?

I doubt either would ever come to pass, but personally I'd steer well clear of it.

Leave a comment:

• diesel
    replied
    The last point is the least of your worries.

They want you as a self employed person but under the cloak of your company.
    Agree, unlikely I will incurring any business travel expenses with this client, unless it moved to a longer term contract.

any recommendations where one can get a contract reviewed for Legality aspects?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X