• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Warchest Advice with loan?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Scratch It View Post

For the doom merchants out there, curious to see if there are any examples of people that tried to go contracting and fell on their backsides? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, though I haven't read/heard about anyone that failed miserably...
    We have had them on here and tried to help them.

I have seen them on other forums and people have tried to help them.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
    For the doom merchants out there, curious to see if there are any examples of people that tried to go contracting and fell on their backsides? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, though I haven't read/heard about anyone that failed miserably...
    We've had plenty on here and they are the ones that bothered to find a forum of their peers and get involved.

Leave a comment:

• Scratch It
    replied
    I recently made the move into contracting under similar circumstances, though admittedly I do have a modest second income through an already active limited company which I was operating on the side. Feel incredibly confident that I made the right move, and feel that I might have waited too long to make the jump, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    This has turned in to one of PC's rambling live blogs.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by hydraulicwave View Post
    I went contracting with debts and no warchest. Best move I ever made
    that settles it then.

OP go for it!

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Were you married with children at the time?
    I was. Married with three kids. All teenagers. Up to my eye balls in debt.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by hydraulicwave View Post
    Were you married with children at the time?

Leave a comment:

• hydraulicwave
    replied

Leave a comment:

• codedaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    Simple solution is to send the wife out to work during the week.

In fact send the kids out too.

That's only becoming more of an option once youngest starts full time school in September.

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Simple solution is to send the wife out to work during the week.

In fact send the kids out too.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Fate and a superior intellect combined with world class technical skills and business acumen ;-)
    So you are saying you got lucky with a desperate client then?

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by codedaddy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies people. Liked them just to show I have read each one.

So I do have a mortgage, wife and 2 kids. I do get a pretty decent wage permie at 45k but I have that much going out paying off debt which added over the years after looking after my family and never getting my original pay rise constantly until recently.

Jobs pretty stable been here 5 years but it's a bit toxic and getting worse all the time. More reason to leave.

My skill set is full stack developer. I have a wide range of different experience and am very good at what I do even if I say so myself.

Looking for frontend role or javascript role ideally.

I admit the 6 month savings thing has me beat as I know that will not happen for a very very long time. [emoji20]

Edit

Wife does work weekends but not enough money to cover us although she has said she could work more in the week if it's helps moving jobs

I'm not surprised you want to go contracting. How the hell can anybody survive in this day and age on £ 45k with a wife and family to support?!?! The trouble is, can you be successful against a backdrop of superior competition and a dwindling market? I ended up contracting after being laid off in the dotcom crash and 12 months without work. In your shoes I doubt I'd have made that decision willingly. But it worked out for me. I'm a firm believer in fate. Fate and a superior intellect combined with world class technical skills and business acumen ;-)
    Last edited by oliverson; 3 August 2017, 19:46. Reason: typo!

Leave a comment:

• doconline
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Oh you tease!
    Nothing exciting. Got approached about a front end developer role at a bank that might be good for the OP. Happy to wait for a month notice period if needed as they need 4 Dev's apparently.

Of course it should be taken with a pinch of salt as it's from an agent.

But sent details via PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by doconline View Post
    Sent you a PM, might help
    Oh you tease!

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Get another permie job with higher salary and better benefits, or at least start looking!

No point in staying (and saving) if it is as bad as you say it is.

Good Luck.

qh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X