• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Immediate termination of contract"

Collapse

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by angeleyes View Post
    This happened to me twice now and I'm beginning to wonder if contractors should have some sort of employment protection. Without wanting to go into the details my work was of a good standard (dare I say excellent) and I had been with the organisations for a few weeks (one was a couple of months). However, my immediate line manager decided he didn't want to work with me any more and that was it. I would consider both individuals quite immature (dare I say bullies) and because they could terminate me immediately they enjoyed being able to do that, something they couldn't do to a perm staff member.

Both of these contracts were in the public sector so I'm wondering if this is something peculiar to the public sector. As I already mentioned this has happened twice now and it's making me reluctant to consider public sector contracts given how poorly they treat contractors (not to mention the whole IR35 business).
    This sounds like a several things:

1) Another tyrannical project manager situation (see that other forum thread) and you have been unlucky to with him or her for the second time running.

2) The pace of public sector is very drawn out and forcing any change like agile, digital and infrastructure transformation requires a certain authority and political power. Contractors are not consultants sadly and I'd say 98% we don't have the power, the other side has the power. We can only vote with our two feet.

3) Yet another example of BLAME CULTURE and unfortunately you are the contractor with the target on your back marked as Dispensible for Whatever, Whenever and Wherever. If you want guarantees then switch to permanent employment and even then probation periods can drag on for up to 2 years legally.

4) The project manager personally knows some other contractor that will soon fill your position. In other words, your productivity is not good, your communication and your relationship is not good; and the PM is pining for old contractor (the old mate), who will soon return that your position when they finished their current gig (I've seen that happen very recently to another guy).

5) The company want to outsource your position in a few months and this just an excuse to get terminate the contract and save budget

Try not to take it to heart, absorb the criticism, reflect, learn, reform and move to the next contract gig. Personally I have recently seen (1) and (3) and it is really annoying. I think this is generally the state of the art in post Brexit Britain, the uncertainty, the politics and increase of blame culture. Just make sure that you, fix you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If you want employment protection, go permanent. After 2 years, you get limited protection.

The rule is that if there is an incident between contractor and permanent, and the contractor is blameless, then the contractor always gets the push. Seen it a few times.

There are 2 explanations as to why it has happened twice: -
    1. The statistics of random events - there are usually far less random than people realize.
    2. You need to modify your behavior.
    It depends. I've been in this situation twice.

First time, the permie senior manager 'had form', and ended up on a disciplinary.

Second time, I was asked to modify my approach and after four weeks, it was agreed that I had, but that it wasn't working out ,so they would would seek to move me from that client to another client, which I declined, so we didn't renew my contract. Now looking to sell services again to this second client.

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'd take a guess from the OP's name instead of MTFU then need to WTFU. Maybe WTFH can mediate for us.
    Hmm...

On reflection OP needs to MTFU/WTFU and STFU at next gig.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    Is it twice out of two contracts or twice out of many contracts? It's perfectly possible to meet two such bellends in this industry.
    just go anywhere arthurs androids are <under whatever new name they have>

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Is it twice out of two contracts or twice out of many contracts? It's perfectly possible to meet two such bellends in this industry.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Hmmm. There are some real bellends out there who would do this sort of thing. I've met one once in a contract and it was just unbelievable...

But twice. Could be bad luck but who knows.

OP - Are you sure you're not winding people up? As I always say, getting on with people, especially the permies is more often than not more important than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Crap! Seems like I missed the fun! Reading comments from the OP (my work was excellent blah, blah, blah) gives all the clues you need to understand why they were jettisoned not once, but twice. And it's going to be a third time if he \ she doesnt modify their behaviour.

I also get the impression the OP has a disdain for younger bosses which probably comes across in their attitude at work.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    go back to permie land.

qh
    +1 (100%)

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    OP needs to MTFU, dust him/herself off, find a new gig and keep quiet.

Or better still, go back to permie land.

qh

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post

I'd take a guess from the OP's name instead of MTFU then need to WTFU. Maybe WTFH can mediate for us.

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I was thinking more morally than legally. I certainly wouldn't want to try and argue it in court although it would be interesting if someone did.

I often wonder what tax Uber/Hermes contractors/employees pay, and if they would be happy to suddenly start paying full PAYE if they are officially recognised as employees.
    There have been tribunal cases that have proved some self-employed people for companies like that are workers so entitled to benefits like statutory sick pay.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Logically, possibly. But logic doesn't come into it - taxation and employment status do not go hand in hand, so you could win one tribunal but lose the other.
    I was thinking more morally than legally. I certainly wouldn't want to try and argue it in court although it would be interesting if someone did.

I often wonder what tax Uber/Hermes contractors/employees pay, and if they would be happy to suddenly start paying full PAYE if they are officially recognised as employees.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Just thought I'd throw this one in. More of a thought experiment than my genuine opinion:

If you're inside IR35 and considered an employee for tax purposes, should you then logically be entitled to the benefits that come with being classed as an employee as well as the downsides, and therefore have the same rights as an employee?
    Logically, possibly. But logic doesn't come into it - taxation and employment status do not go hand in hand, so you could win one tribunal but lose the other.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Just thought I'd throw this one in. More of a thought experiment than my genuine opinion:

If you're inside IR35 and considered an employee for tax purposes, should you then logically be entitled to the benefits that come with being classed as an employee as well as the downsides, and therefore have the same rights as an employee?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X