• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do I leave a failing project?"

Collapse

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by UKContractorNewbie View Post
    Can be at the clients until it crashes but as they don't listen. The end of project and they delivery date matches hence no one to blame or defend but can I be financially liable for a team failure?. If I decide to reman until I get another contract will I'l be safe or better to pull the plug 1.5 months before the end of contract? either way if I give the notice will be finishing serving it 2 weeks before the contract is due.

Any Help VERY much appreciated.

Use this as an opportunity to show what you are capable of. Take ownership of the project, burn some midnight oil, kick some butt and do anything possible to hit the deadline. You will then be regarded as a god and will be able to use this as a stepping stone for more greater adventures.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    If you're posting this on a forum I really feel you've probably blagged into way into a role you're not capable of delivering.

This sort of thing happens all the time - you need to man up and manage it IMO..
    If you are posting that on a forum, you probably have no idea what you are talking about.

How about some advice instead of insults?

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    replied
    If you're posting this on a forum I really feel you've probably blagged into way into a role you're not capable of delivering.

This sort of thing happens all the time - you need to man up and manage it IMO..

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Suing an interim manager for a delayed project wouldn't get very far. The sort of things you can be sued for will be covered by indemnity insurance, eg spilling coffee over an expensive machine or accidentally deleting sensitive data. Any penalties to be incurred for a delayed project would have to be outlined in the contract and would apply to a fixed price contract where the work is under the control of the supplier. As an interim manager paid by the hour, the worst they can do is not pay the invoice.

It was explained to me by a lawyer albeit not in the UK, that it is very difficult indeed to demonstrate that someone working on a consulting hours contract has done something for which they can sue or even withhold payment. In fact I saw this for myself when I was involved in a project which did go badly wrong, it was actually abandoned part of the way through and the court decided the customer had to pay for all the work that was done, and that was a fixed price contract that wasn't completed.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    Can be at the clients until it crashes but as they don't listen. The end of project and they delivery date matches hence no one to blame or defend but can I be financially liable for a team failure?. If I decide to reman until I get another contract will I'l be safe or better to pull the plug 1.5 months before the end of contract? either way if I give the notice will be finishing serving it 2 weeks before the contract is due.

You have professional indemnity insurance right? Why do you think the blame will be put on you? What exactly did you do to screw things up so badly...!?!? :O

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    yes leave
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No don't leave
    Take the advice you want to hear.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No don't leave

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    yes leave

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Keep telling them what needs to be done via email. Make sure you keep copies of the email. Then you cannot be held financially liable.

However, they might still make your name mud. In theory they cannot do that. Proving they have done it can be hard.

Leave a comment:

• UKContractorNewbie
    replied
    Can you be financial liable for a project failure as an analyst?

Originally posted by Bee View Post

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    You haven't seen many discussions between NLUK and Bee, have you?

NLUK thinks Bee has hit rock bottom and started to dig.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    No, since that's not actually the situation the OP is facing.

HTH...
    You haven't seen many discussions between NLUK and Bee, have you?

NLUK thinks Bee has hit rock bottom and started to dig.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Is this a compliment? You must be sick or you miss me.
    I'll give you a clue. It's not. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Good solid advice there. That will sort it.
    Sure that's a /threadclosed
    Is this a compliment? You must be sick or you miss me.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Good solid advice there. That will sort it.
    Sure that's a /threadclosed
    No, since that's not actually the situation the OP is facing.

HTH...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X