• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Changes in Flat Rate Tax Scheme 1/4/17"

Collapse

• MeMeMe1966
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Did they have the Windows gig "in hand"?

I've just read the guidance and your right! That makes no sense, its a circular argument to say you can't get tax relief in investing in new skills to get your next gig when technology is always evolving. That's like saying you can't do marketing to grow your business or shops can't get tax relief on expenses to bring out new product lines?

Also if you did try to move into the new technology from within your current gig then you'd start running into looking like an employee wouldn't you?

That's just silly.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    The whole retraining thing does baffle me as to whether it's allowed or not as in I.T. roles evolve all the time, like in testing there has been a shift to Developers in Test and now this is partially evolving in to DevOps a certain degree of training/retraining is needed but as to what is allowed it's beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by MeMeMe1966 View Post
    So DOS progammers weren't allowed to re-train in windows for their next gig?
    Did they have the Windows gig "in hand"?

Leave a comment:

• MeMeMe1966
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Training for engagements in hand is what is allowable as far as I'm aware.
    So DOS progammers weren't allowed to re-train in windows for their next gig?

oops I meant getting tax relief on new technology training unrelated to your current engagement but related to your business.
    Last edited by MeMeMe1966; 2 March 2017, 09:43.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You sure the training is allowable? Adding new software skills is a bit of a grey area.
    Training for engagements in hand is what is allowable as far as I'm aware.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Well if I'm going to be 4K out of pocket then why wouldn't I spend it on something I may use rather than give it away? The 800 isn't really part of my motivation.

I don't understand why this isn't the default position, am I missing some technicality that would prevent this?
    Exactly. If you are offered £4000 worth of free stuff why wouldn't you take it?

I'd even do it without the advantage that the nasty public sector simultaneously lose £4000.

The accountants can work out the details of whether we have to buy software, silver bars or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You sure the training is allowable? Adding new software skills is a bit of a grey area.

Leave a comment:

• MeMeMe1966
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    So to save £4K you plan to pay £3.2k a year on software (and it has to be a physical package not a download), so you save £800?

Well if I'm going to be 4K out of pocket then why wouldn't I spend it on something I may use rather than give it away? The 800 isn't really part of my motivation.

I don't understand why this isn't the default position, am I missing some technicality that would prevent this?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    So to save £4K you plan to pay £3.2k a year on software (and it has to be a physical package not a download), so you save £800?

I thought this was suppose to be the professional forums not General.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    A CD is not a service:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Software/...CD+objective-c

and I genuinely don't understand how this is fraud? I would use this in my business and I'd rather have some benefit then turn the money over to the tax-man.

Leave a comment:

• MeMeMe1966
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Training is services not goods.

The VAT man has a fraud department so I wouldn't try it.
    A CD is not a service:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Software/...CD+objective-c

and I genuinely don't understand how this is fraud? I would use this in my business and I'd rather have some benefit then turn the money over to the tax-man.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And again people wonder why people we are tax avoiding scum

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Hi,

I can't stand the thought of handing over an extra 4K.

So 160k turnover at 14% = 22.4k

turns into 160K turnover at 16.5% = 26.4k

Difference in my pocket (obvs less corp tax is 4K)

I have virtually no input vat that i can think of, so i'm not going to be recouping this 4K hit by moving onto the standard method.

If I buy 3.2K worth of software then I hit the 2% vatable expenses and at least I've received some benefit from the change. I'm thinking that software training packages to skill up can be wholly and exclusively part of the business? i think it would count as relevant goods and i believe its vatable?

is there a flaw in this?

Leave a comment:

• MeMeMe1966
    replied
    Tell me the flaw in this plan please

Hi,

I can't stand the thought of handing over an extra 4K.

So 160k turnover at 14% = 22.4k

turns into 160K turnover at 16.5% = 26.4k

Difference in my pocket (obvs less corp tax is 4K)

I have virtually no input vat that i can think of, so i'm not going to be recouping this 4K hit by moving onto the standard method.

If I buy 3.2K worth of software then I hit the 2% vatable expenses and at least I've received some benefit from the change. I'm thinking that software training packages to skill up can be wholly and exclusively part of the business? i think it would count as relevant goods and i believe its vatable?

is there a flaw in this?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Potato View Post
    I'd be interested to know if anyone is switching away from the flat rate scheme in light of these changes.
    I have already switched due to how my VAT quarters are aligned.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X