• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Market downturn

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Market downturn"

Collapse

• MichaelJJC
    replied
    European push to take in UK contractors

Originally posted by skysies View Post
    Either way, it doesn't seem promising to me at all.
    I am a Brit living and working in NL and Germany. NL and German companies are well aware of the UK gov't pressurising employees and contractors and they are well aware of IR35 and it's implications. They are happy to draw UK contract staff and employees and sponsor employees if visa's are required post Brexit. The UK is going to screw itself. Contractors support the UK economy by providing much needed cashflow. IR35 is counter productive!

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Not all doom and gloom. I suspect the IR35 changes will be resisted by the Private Sector, especially if there is a hint they will need to offer employee benefits.

Brexit will no doubt involve a lot of work.

There should be no more Tier 2 Visas (although I have my doubts with some agencies) and eventually migrants get absorbed in the host country and will expect to share the spoils like the natives.

Leave a comment:

• skysies
    replied
    Originally posted by skysies View Post
    And the funny thing is, my colleagues, the contractors including the Indians, all voted Brexit en masse,...go figure

Leave a comment:

• skysies
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    A combination of Visas, outsourcing and the changes to IR35 interpretation might not kill contracting on their own but combined could kill it.

That is before any other market conditions come into play in the next few years, go which Brexit seems the most obvious.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Visas aren't going to kill the contractor market, IR35 is when they push the Public Sector changes into the private sector.

My guess is it will all change come April 2019.

Make the most of it while you can.
    A combination of Visas, outsourcing and the changes to IR35 interpretation might not kill contracting on their own but combined could kill it.

That is before any other market conditions come into play in the next few years, go which Brexit seems the most obvious.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Visas aren't going to kill the contractor market, IR35 is when they push the Public Sector changes into the private sector.

My guess is it will all change come April 2019.

Make the most of it while you can.

Leave a comment:

• skysies
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Not just UK has the same problem with too many IT visas being issued & or corrupted by big business interests!
    Foreign Work Visas are Cheap Labor. So What's New? | Fox Business
    I don't see these changes happening in the UK. Worse even, all those companies would naturally look into the UK market. If they increase the number of visas for Indians post Brexit, I don't see how the UK contract market would survive, or it will shrink to a marginal one.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Not just UK has the same problem with too many IT visas being issued & or corrupted by big business interests!
    Foreign Work Visas are Cheap Labor. So What's New? | Fox Business

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by PrestonChris View Post
    corporate bollocks ....

really ??

You mean you haven't had to sit through presentations on the latest corporate results , new management matrix they are implementing,
    Every few months we get told what is happening in the company. Lasts about an hour at the most and is normally pretty interesting - but that might just be me though!

the new catchphrase on the new way to deliver to the client which is exactly the same as you do now
    Nope.

, team re-arrangement ,
    Yes but once at my request and the next time because the project had been completed.

endless admin so the manager with no work to do can fill in his spreadsheets which no one reads ...
    Nope.

I was a permie for 16 years with a huge corporation, we had quarterly reviews , project reviews , assignment manager reviews , training and development plans , constant rebranding and process's none of which improved how we delivered to the client
    Sounds ghastly but not every permie role is like that.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I have.........
    So have I.

Its even worse when you actually get the role
    I turned it down as they were mucking me around with interview times.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I have.........

I had one where the hiring manager was English and their technical interviewer was Indian. Got offered the gig before I got home surprisingly enough.

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I'm pretty successful as a contractor and good at interviews but I've never had so much as a second interview when the interviewer has been a bob. If it were the other way round I'm sure the race card would be out.
    It is because most of these foreign IT companies are talking to you not in order to get you a contract but in order to demonstrate search of local talent. In the end there is no local talent for the job because there is 10 000 waiting already for the job. So you cut the EU, but now the Bobs will feast on you lol

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    And actually being over two miles from Knutsford train station. That certainly flummoxes alot of the Bobs.

qh
    You can relocate the office into the middle of the woods and there will still be people who know as much as you do and still willing to get there every day.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I'm pretty successful as a contractor and good at interviews but I've never had so much as a second interview when the interviewer has been a bob. If it were the other way round I'm sure the race card would be out.
    I have.........

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    That's the thing about interviews though - nobody can play the race card and have it stick, which is also how they manage to get their cronies in with them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X