• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "client asking me not to work, even though I have a signed contract"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I think what the last one actually said was "Contractors like MarkyMark are two a penny"
    Don't you actually mean....

MarkyMarkのような請負業者はペニーの2つです

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Errrrrm, never felt this.

I have been told by a number of clients I am worth what I charge, maybe I should charge more
    I think what the last one actually said was "Contractors like MarkyMark are two a penny"

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by fonejacker View Post
    contract is just with consultancy to work 'anywhere'. it's not really worth anything. anyway....I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread as much but I just wanted to point out that in fantasy land everyone is getting juicy long term contracts without breaks and everyone wants to be a contractor (yay!) but in reality there are people out there are getting messed around (you see a lot of posts on CUK about it too) in 10+ years contracting there are bound to be some hiccups/things that don't go to plan. Actually my theory is the higher your rate the more you get messed around as the client can't afford you full time and questions your 'extortionate' fee
    Errrrrm, never felt this.

I have been told by a number of clients I am worth what I charge, maybe I should charge more

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
    Sorry but I would disagree - the client is not treating "people / contractors like commodities.". They are treating a Ltd company providing them a service in the way that best helps their supply-demand needs.

As has been said by a number of people here:
    - If you want regularity, be a perm
    - Do not expect perm benefits for a contractor role
    - Some contract roles nowadays may involve enforced holidays etc

I personally think your client is being a bit harsh doing 4 weeks off here and there, but they are a profit making organization who have hired a Ltd company to provide your services to them. Some companies take a harder stance on this, your current client is one of them.

You will need to think if you have any leverage... if you don't, leave or think of taking a perm role with them
    FTFY - never had an issue with clients insisting I have time off (although that may be because I regularly take time off anyway)....

Leave a comment:

• PermMCCon
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight001 View Post
    The other point here though is that the client feels it's acceptable to treat people / contractors like commodities.

I know that's what the contract says but it's unnecessary and this type of things does need to be called out.

Who is the client?

I treat my clients with respect, take pride in the work that I do, often act as an "referee" / adjudicator in the company politics and aim to treat all of my team contractors and permies with consideration and humanity.

It's not much to ask...

Sorry but I would disagree - the client is not treating "people / contractors like commodities.". They are treating a Ltd company providing them a service in the way that best helps their supply-demand needs.

As has been said by a number of people here:
    - If you want regularity, be a perm
    - Do not expect perm benefits for a contractor role
    - All contract roles nowadays involve enforced holidays etc

I personally think your client is being a bit harsh doing 4 weeks off here and there, but they are a profit making organization who have hired a Ltd company to provide your services to them. Some companies take a harder stance on this, your current client is one of them.

You will need to think if you have any leverage... if you don't, leave or think of taking a perm role with them

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight001 View Post
    The other point here though is that the client feels it's acceptable to treat people / contractors like commodities.

I know that's what the contract says but it's unnecessary and this type of things does need to be called out.

Who is the client?

I treat my clients with respect, take pride in the work that I do, often act as an "referee" / adjudicator in the company politics and aim to treat all of my team contractors and permies with consideration and humanity.

It's not much to ask...

Leave a comment:

• silverlight001
    replied

Who is the client?

It's not much to ask...

Leave a comment:

• willcodeforbread
    replied
    back on feet

Thanks for all the replies!

Lesson learnt: retainer agreement.

I managed to avoid a mess with a combination of the following:
    - mortgage payment holiday
    - personal loan agreed with bank (in case I need it - haven't yet)
    - payment terms for personal tax
    - a more personal savings plan

The latter part ties in with the phrase that gets bandied about so often, but so often gets ignored: have 6 months' salary saved up.

On the upside, the VAT for this quarter was neglible
    (and new 6 month contract started with an org that pays within a couple of days)

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Actually my theory is the higher your rate the more you get messed around as the client can't afford you full time and questions your 'extortionate' fee
    Nah, we're reassuringly expensive for a reason. They'd have us work more if they could

Leave a comment:

• fonejacker
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Sounds like you're just a bum on seat. For only 4 days a month you should either leave or get a permie gig.

Work is work, but 4 days is not a lot.

We don't live in fantasy land - we just don't accept this. We find a new role and give our client notice
    it was only 4 days for one month and Xmas/Change freezes all tied up in that, I wouldn't accept it long term, about to finish here but hard to not get messed around sometimes when no other work around.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Same goes for fresh contractors who happily accept £350/day while the agent trousers the other £250 from the £600/day budget. Client then wonders why their £500/day superkid is pretty average.
    Ahhh also known as newbie tax

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    contract is just with consultancy to work 'anywhere'. it's not really worth anything. anyway....I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread as much but I just wanted to point out that in fantasy land everyone is getting juicy long term contracts without breaks and everyone wants to be a contractor (yay!) but in reality there are people out there are getting messed around (you see a lot of posts on CUK about it too) in 10+ years contracting there are bound to be some hiccups/things that don't go to plan. Actually my theory is the higher your rate the more you get messed around as the client can't afford you full time and questions your 'extortionate' fee
    Sounds like you're just a bum on seat. For only 4 days a month you should either leave or get a permie gig.

Work is work, but 4 days is not a lot.

We don't live in fantasy land - we just don't accept this. We find a new role and give our client notice

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Same goes for fresh contractors who happily accept £350/day while the agent trousers the other £250 from the £600/day budget. Client then wonders why their £500/day superkid is pretty average.

Leave a comment:

• fonejacker
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    If that's not in your statement of work/schedule, be careful about IR35 - that said, the way you're being messed around suggests you're well outside of it on all other counts. Seriously, find another gig and cross the bridge of the current client's engagement once you've fired off your first invoice to the new client. If you fancy a couple of weekend's overtime, go for it.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    I get no notice, it's 'stand down tomorrow' type stuff. oh I would leave them at the drop of a hat but when the other consultancy asks me my situation i'd have to be imaginative is all i'm saying to make it sound like I've finished rather than saying i'm leaving another consultancy without finishing a project. Probably best to just say i'm just on bench and need a week before I start for some reason (on holiday? etc)
    I think you're overthinking this part. I've never been asked why I'm leaving/left current assignment. If they do, something like "I had completed all work assigned to me and there was no further requirement for my skills" covers it.

Just say you're available immediately, subject to contract checks, which should be standard when you're on the bench.

Worst case scenario here is that new client want you in tomorrow and so do old client. In which case you can probably stretch a day or do with a round of contract reviews and worst comes to worst, you say to current client you're unavailable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X