• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nothing to do but client wants to keep me."

Collapse

• heyya99
    replied
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontEnder View Post
    There's work forecast here for most of next year. We've just done a big release, so it's quite after that.

Problem for me at the moment is previously it was big, fixed price stuff so it was just a case of submitting doing the work and getting timesheets done. Now we're done with that and it'll be smaller pieces of work and change requests, which is being costed and charged to the end client.

So I have to pass on how long I've spent on each work so it will be billed to the client. It's the PMO I report it to, so they haven't a scooby doo how long a piece of work takes, but I'm weary of just saying I've spent e.g 3 days on something that's only been costed as 1 day.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    TMI?
    Childish I know, but I find it hard not to laugh when a team member in my office says 'oh, I took a dump from the prod database'. One pretty BA in my office said something along those lines of the prod services guy took a dump. If I smiled at that and she asked what are you laughing at, I'd have to run out the door with the embarrassment.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Next week is my last week of my contract where I have nothing to do.I am now enjoying a glass of wine.

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    Smartphone, privacy screen, Bluetooth mouse connected to phone, Earbuds, Feedly, podcasts, Rosseta stone. Whatever you prefer.

Only you know how long you can keep it up for.

Personally I prefer working from home. Although there are numerous other threads discussing potential perception issues from colleagues. If your working pattern from home is exceptional or frowned upon by management within the organisation, you could find yourself getting canned within a few months.

Kind regards,
    Lecyclist

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    I think it comes down to a number of factors only you will know as I have been in this situation. How much do you like the client/people you work with environment etc? How easy is it to sit and do other things internet etc to busy yourself? If you can't as you said will you find it unbearable to 'pretend' to work? Can you afford to be out of work? Would you be happy to put yourself out of work? What is your notice period?

For me I would find it hard to walk away from a decent rate but I hate sitting there 'pretending to be busy' so I would compromise by staying a bit longer (especially if I had a weeks notice) keep looking and leave for a new job or till I had really reached the point of I've really had enough which ever came first.

Leave a comment:

• Slice
    replied
    Haha!! Yes, perhaps I should count my blessings!!

I'm just one of those sorts of people that likes to be busy, perhaps I should learn to enjoy taking it easy.

It seems with every contract I do, there are lulls along the way. And I go through times like this where they want to keep me but there's nothing to do, just in case something comes up. Perhaps just the nature of projects that are coming to an end.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Could someone please send me links to these "do nothing and get paid for it" roles on Jobserve. I've been searching for years and have never found one...

I really do fancy a "fully invoiced" break for 6 months.*

(* I've a Kindle full of new books to get through.)

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by Slice View Post
    Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you mean. I share your concerns hence why even tho I know BaU are snowed under I'm not touching it with a barge pole and not offering to help!

Cheers for your advice!
    Maybe there's an opportunity there? Howabout suggesting to the client you look at why they're snowed under\root cause and all that and come up with a solution?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Had this more than a few times, I would usually wait till after a renewal and hit them with - ok, I am well up to speed but I reckon I am about 50% utilised, is there anything I can get involved in to help out.
    Not bothered if it's the same work etc.

This has NEVER resulted in a contract ending and rarely resulted in more work beyond a few bits they think is weeks of work but is actually a couple of days.
    After this chat I have no concerns about cruising from that point, working a steady 9-4pm etc. If called on it, I would simply refer to previous conversation....

The reason you are normally kept on is everyone else is 'too busy' or claims to be so the boss still has to find someone to do the half a job you are doing.
    In addition, keeping someone is easy - still need joe ? Yeah. ok.
    Getting someone new is a nightmare - yeah, CEO has to see anything over 20k.

I use the spare time to further my Financial Independence education...

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    The question begs why didn't use your right of substitution and put someone in who knows nowt, but can wear a suit and costs you £150 a day. I know a few people who'd do that and my cut is 20% of the full day rate.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    haha.. that's hilarious! I guess a similar thing would happen here if I were to leave, they'd get someone else in to sit an do nothing, and pay them well to do so. May as well sit on the gravy train until something else comes along.
    The only downside to it is being able to talk about what you delivered in the role during any future interviews...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor123 View Post
    I was in a similar position for a while. The client kept renewing me for 6 months (3 times) and there was nothing to do... I even run out of personal projects to do at work, but had to stay put until house purchase was finalised.

The question begs why didn't use your right of substitution and put someone in who knows nowt, but can wear a suit and costs you £150 a day. I know a few people who'd do that.

Leave a comment:

• Slice
    replied
    haha.. that's hilarious! I guess a similar thing would happen here if I were to leave, they'd get someone else in to sit an do nothing, and pay them well to do so. May as well sit on the gravy train until something else comes along.

Leave a comment:

• tractor123
    replied
    I was in a similar position for a while. The client kept renewing me for 6 months (3 times) and there was nothing to do... I even run out of personal projects to do at work, but had to stay put until house purchase was finalised.

Now I'm one week into a new gig and feeling refreshed. I have more energy after work and feel happy to wake up and go to work where I have specific deliverables.

I actually got a slightly lower rate at the new gig, but don't mind this as I'm feeling alive again. Life is too short!

My previous client is looking to recruit somebody to my position - contractor for that role is approved for another year... they want somebody with experience, qualifications, etc... and when you come work there you will find you are a dead man walking
    Last edited by tractor123; 9 November 2016, 13:44.

Leave a comment:

• Slice
    replied
    Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you mean. I share your concerns hence why even tho I know BaU are snowed under I'm not touching it with a barge pole and not offering to help!

Cheers for your advice!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Northern Lad - why the IR35 concern? I know you mentioned direction and control in a previous post, but I can't see how this is a valid concern, given that all things I've done have been recommendations I've made to the client I.e. Me saying I see you don't have X here, it would really benefit you, I can build that for you in approx Y weeks, then me going off and building it.

Perhaps I'm missing your point tho - keen to understand what your concern is around IR35?
    Because it get's increasingly easier to end up with work not detailed in the schedule you signed with the contract. If you've got a good detailed schedule it could be too easy to slip in to other activities. If you've got a wooly 'job spec' of say 'PM for <client>' then that's a different, but equally problematic story. If the client is keeping you as a bum on seat just because he'll lose his budgets it's going to be difficult to prove you are delivering to schedule and nothing else. That's why I mentioned the comment about advising the client you've got 'bandwidth'. His response could be 'oh well can you look at this' and then you've got a problem. Is the stuff you suggest to do in like with your schedule? I could be wrong and you've got it nailed but it's not the best place to be in.

There is also the part and parcel argument that you are just bumming around for no apparent reason which is what permies tend to do and you can slip in to bad practices.

I'm making assumptions so up to you to manage but your situation seems to raise some red flags for me which need careful management if you want to stay squeaky clean.

EDIT : To be fair I'm just writing all this because I've got F' all to do but browse the web at my client waiting for them to give me some other work to do

Leave a comment:

Working...
X