• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have I been stitched up or is it time to hang up the keyboard?"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
    I thought so but I'm still going to wear that reply as a badge of honour
    Would make a good signature ...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'll have you next time

Leave a comment:

• Murder1
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I wouldn't have said that's naivety. Finding you other work stuffs your IR35 status so you did exactly the right thing IMO.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I got 8 weeks in and told the same thing quite recently, with the client attempting to blame Brexit uncertainty for the decision to cancel the project.

They said they would find me stuff to do for the remaining weeks on the contract but I told them (probably totally naively) that once I'd shelved any remaining work and handed everything over to a permie I'd leave - took me just long enough for the pubs to open and I walked out.

Nature of the beast I think and you just have to move on and put it down (once again) to experience. Good luck finding something else
    I wouldn't have said that's naivety. Finding you other work stuffs your IR35 status so you did exactly the right thing IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Murder1
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    6 weeks in & project has been canned.

Client tells me they're very happy with the work I've done but unfortunately the remaining budget has been syphoned off elsewhere & the project will be shelved until the new financial year.

1 week's notice has been served.

Feck
    I got 8 weeks in and told the same thing quite recently, with the client attempting to blame Brexit uncertainty for the decision to cancel the project.

They said they would find me stuff to do for the remaining weeks on the contract but I told them (probably totally naively) that once I'd shelved any remaining work and handed everything over to a permie I'd leave - took me just long enough for the pubs to open and I walked out.

Nature of the beast I think and you just have to move on and put it down (once again) to experience. Good luck finding something else

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Client tells me they're very happy with the work I've done but unfortunately the remaining budget has been syphoned off elsewhere & the project will be shelved until the new financial year.

Feck

Chin up, get looking. I keep being told that the market is good. Keep in contact with your old gig - you may be lucky and get a 3-monther and then jump back to it.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Unlucky. Get looking, onwards and upwards

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied

Feck
    Sorry to hear that - dust yourself down and look for your next role

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Bummer

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied

Feck
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 14 January 2017, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Sometimes the best ones......complete chaos, total panic, no one knows what to do, hard deadline approaching....... ah the scent of much contracting opportunity .

Currently back for a second time, at such a client, now, was here 3.5 years the last time and all off "one flaming telephone interview"
    That's the spirit

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    We had CapGem in to "fix" the systems back in the day (we already told management what issue was, and how to fix) they pulled us into an all day workshop, we explained it was the COBOL modules not linking into the SAP subsystem on the mainframe, CapGem go away and write a 40 page report (all graphs and fancy stuff) and presented to our companies directors (£120K bill please) - directors give the report (and large budget) to the dev manager and tell him to follow all the recommendations, he glances at the report and nods his head, he calls the people that were in the workshop into his office and locks the door. He asks us 3 questions

1. Q. When did you start using COBOL rather than RPG - A. Never we are a RPG shop only

2. Q. Did anyone put in SAP because the last time I looked we used JBA business 400 as our application software, A. sniggers all round

3. Q. Where the F**K can I trade our AS400 computer in for a Mainframe???

Lovely story. Net result the company just pissed £120k to CG for no benefit at all. And if they try to get their money back CG have notes and minutes with you lot telling them a load of horse tulip.
    Well done.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    A consultant is a person who asks to borrow your watch so he can tell you the time.

We had CapGem in to "fix" the systems back in the day (we already told management what issue was, and how to fix) they pulled us into an all day workshop, we explained it was the COBOL modules not linking into the SAP subsystem on the mainframe, CapGem go away and write a 40 page report (all graphs and fancy stuff) and presented to our companies directors (£120K bill please) - directors give the report (and large budget) to the dev manager and tell him to follow all the recommendations, he glances at the report and nods his head, he calls the people that were in the workshop into his office and locks the door. He asks us 3 questions

1. Q. When did you start using COBOL rather than RPG - A. Never we are a RPG shop only

2. Q. Did anyone put in SAP because the last time I looked we used JBA business 400 as our application software, A. sniggers all round

3. Q. Where the F**K can I trade our AS400 computer in for a Mainframe???

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    To be fair, they did seem to ask him to do that.

The dilemma is how you react.

I remember going to a bank in Hamburg. It was one day's consultancy and I was going with my Consultancy's Head of Germany. The bank had asked for advice on how to control access to sensitive data in a particular programming environment. As I worked through where they were I realised they had a mainframe environment without any basic file access control whatsoever. These things are standard nowadays but for mainframes you would have to buy software. Typically this was RACF or ACF2. They had neither.

Remember this was a (well known) bank. It had high profile, sensitive accounts.

At the end of the day I presented to a group of highly Germanic managers where I advised them it wasn't sensible for us to solve the particular issue they raised when this was part of a much more serious problem.

They looked at me as though I was only useful for making table lamp shades with my skin. If there had been an old Luger lying around, I'd have been filled full of lead.

We got no business out of them but the Consultancy supported me.

Everyone here would say the truth really didn't help anyone but I was young.

And who knows: I might do the same again...
    Actually in that situation you did the correct thing. Germans and people from Nordic countries prefer you to tell them the truth even if they don't like what you tell them. If you lie to them and they find out later they get even angrier.

This is one of the culture differences between countries that has been brought up a few times on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    To be fair, they did seem to ask him to do that.

The dilemma is how you react.

I remember going to a bank in Hamburg. It was one day's consultancy and I was going with my Consultancy's Head of Germany. The bank had asked for advice on how to control access to sensitive data in a particular programming environment. As I worked through where they were I realised they had a mainframe environment without any basic file access control whatsoever. These things are standard nowadays but for mainframes you would have to buy software. Typically this was RACF or ACF2. They had neither.

Remember this was a (well known) bank. It had high profile, sensitive accounts.

At the end of the day I presented to a group of highly Germanic managers where I advised them it wasn't sensible for us to solve the particular issue they raised when this was part of a much more serious problem.

They looked at me as though I was only useful for making table lamp shades with my skin. If there had been an old Luger lying around, I'd have been filled full of lead.

We got no business out of them but the Consultancy supported me.

Everyone here would say the truth really didn't help anyone but I was young.

And who knows: I might do the same again...
    Honesty pays in the long run. And it helps peace of mind, and professional integrity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X