• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permies vs contractors in consultancies"

Collapse

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    It's true, The Consultancy cover all the expenses and this became the permies more expensive. Specially if they need to realoca them in another country or in another part of the country.
    Bee do you ever speak in English, as a matter of interest?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I've contracted for 5 consultancies as an SME.
    Hard work generally and of often a short duration, but have always been treated very well.

2 paid expenses, which were charged back to the client, business class flights and very good hotels both times.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Just because you allegedly worked in a crap a consultancy you shouldn’t judge all by your experience, and assuming that the other's opinion are tulip.
    I've worked for more than one consultancy.

Some have been run by pleasant people , others by unpleasant people and some morphed one way or the other due to changes in management.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

So basically, some consultancies do pass on expenses, and some don't.
    But yet again Bee makes a sweeping generalization which now needs a couple of pages to decipher and correct. It's always the same. Without that comment the thread would have carried on fine. It's the same every time now.

It's true, The Consultancy cover all the expenses and this became the permies more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Bee has not missed the point. The consultancy I'm working for does not forward the expenses for permies onto the client, and so I imagine that expenses for working abroad can get high (they have to gently remind the permies not to select the highest costing hotels about twice a year).

I disagree that the permies are an onerous overhead though. The consultancy charges the client a flat rate for all consultants, permie and contractor alike and I guess that permies that don't have many expenses offset the others that do.

And expenses can often be on a client by client basis. Awkward client that insists on staff being on site - charge expenses, client near half your staff no need. At the end of the day what a company charges for depends on the skills of the clients buyer and the consultancies salesmen
    Last edited by eek; 22 October 2016, 08:54. Reason: Fluffing phones

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I think you've missed the point Bee

If the consultancy can (and often do) invoice clients for expenses, they'll do it for contractors and permies alike. While contractors give them a lower margin, they're lower maintenance and generally better performing.
    Bee has not missed the point. The consultancy I'm working for does not forward the expenses for permies onto the client, and so I imagine that expenses for working abroad can get high (they have to gently remind the permies not to select the highest costing hotels about twice a year).

I disagree that the permies are an onerous overhead though. The consultancy charges the client a flat rate for all consultants, permie and contractor alike and I guess that permies that don't have many expenses offset the others that do.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    +1 Another good thread ruined.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yet another thread destroyed by a comment from Bee that either wrong or makes no sense and degenerates in to having correct Bee and away from the topic.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I've edited my post though I should do what you do and refuse to answer you.
    You are being rude.
    Everybody have the right to refuse to answer, you don't need to say it.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    What a load of tulip.

I've worked permanently for consultancies plus contracted for a few. Some consultancies have toxic cultures but it varies by project, and if you are a contractor they tend not to want to piss you off.
    Just because you allegedly worked in a crap a consultancy you shouldn’t judge all by your experience, and assuming that the other's opinion are tulip.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Why?
    I've edited my post though I should do what you do and refuse to answer you.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    What a load of tulip.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Absolutely.

Toxic culture is not allowed in the consultancies. The problem is anybody can open a company, hire contractors and call it a consultancy. Crap!!!
    What a load of tulip.

I've worked permanently for consultancies plus contracted for a few. Some consultancies have toxic cultures but it varies by project, and if you are a contractor they tend not to want to piss you off.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 21 October 2016, 20:58.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by spottyseagull View Post
    Disagree totally about the toxic culture and agile (I'm an experienced agile coach) statement in my context. If that's your experience then that's a shame but not indicative of them as a consultancy IMO. They're very selective about who they have as an associate and the process is pretty rigorous. All excellent experiences with them for me
    Absolutely.

Toxic culture is not allowed in the consultancies. The problem is anybody can open a company, hire contractors and call it a consultancy. Crap!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    I think you've missed the point Bee

If the consultancy can (and often do) invoice clients for expenses, they'll do it for contractors and permies alike.
    No, not all the expenses can be billable to the client. Why do you think that permies and contractors are treated in the same way?

While contractors give them a lower margin, they're lower maintenance and generally better performing.
    Acho que estás a puxar a brasa à nossa sardinha. I'm sure there is an expression in English for this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X