• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone done any Jenkins?"

Collapse

• The Only Way Is Keynsham
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Think it was yum install jenkins -y on RHEL!!

Checked the gui worked and handed it over to the devs. No complaints but half the time they insist on stuff then never use it!
    Lol! Yeah, been there myself

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by The Only Way Is Keynsham View Post
    Well, in my case it'll probably take up most of my time getting it set up before I get on with the regular dev work at which point I guess it'll just tick over with minimal input from myself.

They don't even do any unit testing so I guess I'll be configuring the Git plugin and whatever build engine they want to use. NAnt or whatever.
    Think it was yum install jenkins -y on RHEL!!

Checked the gui worked and handed it over to the devs. No complaints but half the time they insist on stuff then never use it!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Like everyone's said Jenkins is just a small cog, last role before this I was Environments Manager (stupid title) and did Jenkins, Maven, SonarQube, Cobbler, Puppet, RHEL Kickstarts, AIX NIM builds, DB2 installs, VMware ESX, storage, fibre, and all the networking and firewalling.

Can't think how Jenkins can be anything other than a tiny part of environments and builds.

And didn't it used to be called Hudson?
    Well, in my case it'll probably take up most of my time getting it set up before I get on with the regular dev work at which point I guess it'll just tick over with minimal input from myself.

They don't even do any unit testing so I guess I'll be configuring the Git plugin and whatever build engine they want to use. NAnt or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Like everyone's said Jenkins is just a small cog, last role before this I was Environments Manager (stupid title) and did Jenkins, Maven, SonarQube, Cobbler, Puppet, RHEL Kickstarts, AIX NIM builds, DB2 installs, VMware ESX, storage, fibre, and all the networking and firewalling.

Can't think how Jenkins can be anything other than a tiny part of environments and builds.

And didn't it used to be called Hudson?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Used it predominantly to manage unit testing so far. Not too awful unlike some systems I've used, certainly not a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    past?
    Whoops, yes. Now edited.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    Jenkins/Team City/Octopus they're all things that anyone with any common sense can pick up in a few days and become proficient at.

Trouble is getting part the agents if it's not on your CV.
    past?

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Jenkins/Team City/Octopus they're all things that anyone with any common sense can pick up in a few days and become proficient at.

Trouble is getting past the agents if it's not on your CV.
    Last edited by pauldee; 14 September 2016, 14:46.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by The Only Way Is Keynsham View Post
    I was writing Java applets for websites at the time - animations, really.

Somebody thought that now Microsoft had jumped aboard the Java bandwagon they'd soon have the monopoly therefore the decision was taken.
    Should have aligned yourself with Apple...

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    exactly what I did when I read that!

OP - tell me more, I need a good laugh! Why on earth were you using that?
    I was writing Java applets for websites at the time - animations, really.

Somebody thought that now Microsoft had jumped aboard the Java bandwagon they'd soon have the monopoly therefore the decision was taken.

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    I've not used Jenkins but used TeamCity (and Bamboo for a little bit) for .NET CI and then Octopus Deploy for deployments.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Visual J++.
    exactly what I did when I read that!

OP - tell me more, I need a good laugh! Why on earth were you using that?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I thought this was a Leeroy Jenkins thread
    No, its one of Scroaties creations talking total tulip as per usual

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I thought this was a Leeroy Jenkins thread

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Anyone done any Jenkins?
    It depends on what you mean by "doing" Jenkins.

As previously said, it's pretty damned easy to set up Jenkins as a stand alone that just builds the software. If you are talking about the set-up that I am responsible for - several servers, multiple slaves building for OSX, Windows, linux, iOS and android and then also automatically deploying virtualised (where possible) test environments and running multiple tests against the artefacts then it gets a little more complex.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X