• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Evening Telephone Interview"

Collapse

• TheBA
    replied
    You could be right but, really, why bother. Can the call and move on.

I'm not fussed if it doesn't, I'll just continue with the gig I have lined up, the 5hr trip was worth it

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBA View Post
    Off the phone. No idea why there was a rush to interview. Up front she said that I don't have the relevant sector experience and she was cooking dinner while talking to me so might have to go if something was burning. Although that could be a great way to drop the call if the interview went badly!
    That said, they'd like to see me for something else if I like the other job spec.
    Won't the opening comment apply to the possible other gig as well though? Sounds like you've been pretty squarely binned off and they didn't have the balls to be straight with you. I wouldn't be giving this lot another thought until, by some miracle, they weren't lying, and something pops up in the inbox.

Leave a comment:

• TheBA
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Are you in contract now?
    Perhaps they have scheduled an interview that puts you at less of an imposition on your current client.
    No, enjoying the bench. Great weather :beer:

Leave a comment:

• TheBA
    replied
    Off the phone. No idea why there was a rush to interview. Up front she said that I don't have the relevant sector experience and she was cooking dinner while talking to me so might have to go if something was burning. Although that could be a great way to drop the call if the interview went badly!
    That said, they'd like to see me for something else if I like the other job spec.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I've been offered an evening telephone interview,
    Are you in contract now?
    Perhaps they have scheduled an interview that puts you at less of an imposition on your current client.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Which itself gives you a fair amount of insight into what this role may be like, especially if you're going to be working closely (or even not so closely) with that self-important yet disorganised interviewer.
    Or means that you've simply guessed the person is disorganised; they could be on an implementation push or simply choose to interview candidates via phone outside of working hours so that they aren't disturbed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Which itself gives you a fair amount of insight into what this role may be like, especially if you're going to be working closely (or even not so closely) with that self-important yet disorganised interviewer.
    It doesn't give you any insight as you may not have any contact with that person once you get the role.

I've had interviews done in the evening and randomly bumped into my interviewer on client site.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    3. The interviewer thinks they are over important and busy when in fact they are disorganised
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Most likely this

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    They might have a few more interviews lined up and want to blast them out from 6-9 one evening to get them out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope.

Quite a few contracts I've had I've had evening interviews.

Either had a face-to-face one afterwards or turned up on-site to find out that the reasons for the evening interview was one of:
    1. Being able to get candidates who are capable in case they are in a contract
    2. Only time all the interviewers are free
    3. The interviewer thinks they are over important and busy when in fact they are disorganised
    4. The interviewer works odd hours though most people do normal hours

In short do the telephone then when you go face-to-face (if there is one) find out what hours they actually work.
    Most likely this

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    I've been offered an evening telephone interview, 8pm.
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    6pm interview when I asked for one as late as possible. "Thanks for arranging this and sorry if I've kept you all in the office late".

"No problem we're all normally here until about 730pm most days".

Hmmm...... No thanks.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    11pm once for me.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    My best interview story was circa 1996, Summer of Love, Euro 96, got a call Sat afternoon, 14:55 from New York, when that sort of thing never happened to a Boltonian, lass calling asked if I could do a quick urgent interview, they like my cv, want to move quick etc....

So I says, can you call back at half time, England - Spain quarter-final is about to kick-off and it's Euro 96?

Never called back.

Thinking back I've no idea what fecking planet I was on back then.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Indeed but you are going to face many different situations. You are an independent contractor now so you are going to have think about the situation and make an informed decision. You can't be asking everytime something a little out of the ordinary happens. Harsh but it will work better for you in the long run. No one can teach you how to do business, you've just got work it out sometimes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X