• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evening Telephone Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening Telephone Interview

I've been offered an evening telephone interview, 8pm. I'm not going to turn it down as I quite like the sound of the role, however, it does make me wonder about the culture of the company (Insurance).

Would this raise a flag for anyone else?

Nope.

Quite a few contracts I've had I've had evening interviews.

Either had a face-to-face one afterwards or turned up on-site to find out that the reasons for the evening interview was one of:
    1. Being able to get candidates who are capable in case they are in a contract
    2. Only time all the interviewers are free
    3. The interviewer thinks they are over important and busy when in fact they are disorganised
    4. The interviewer works odd hours though most people do normal hours

In short do the telephone then when you go face-to-face (if there is one) find out what hours they actually work.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 4 June 2016, 18:23.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So exactly how little effort are you willing to put in to landing a well paid contracting gig?

Reading back over some if your posts you really need to grow some and start understanding what you do better so you can make judgement calls like this.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 4 June 2016, 17:31.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am willing to put in the effort, in fact, yesterday I put in a 5hr car round trip for a face to face with less than a days notice. I'm not pushing back on this one, however I've never known of interviews taking place this late, slightly out of hours yes but not 8pm.

I'll accept I'm new to this but how would I gain the benefit of experience on here if I'm not allowed to ask questions...

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
          I am willing to put in the effort, in fact, yesterday I put in a 5hr car round trip for a face to face with less than a days notice. I'm not pushing back on this one, however I've never known of interviews taking place this late, slightly out of hours yes but not 8pm.

I'll accept I'm new to this but how would I gain the benefit of experience on here if I'm not allowed to ask questions...
          Could it be possible that one of the interviewers may be in a different time zone? For example, 8pm in the UK would be 3pm US Eastern time (many insurance companies have US HQs on the east coast).

Comment

Indeed but you are going to face many different situations. You are an independent contractor now so you are going to have think about the situation and make an informed decision. You can't be asking everytime something a little out of the ordinary happens. Harsh but it will work better for you in the long run. No one can teach you how to do business, you've just got work it out sometimes.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My best interview story was circa 1996, Summer of Love, Euro 96, got a call Sat afternoon, 14:55 from New York, when that sort of thing never happened to a Boltonian, lass calling asked if I could do a quick urgent interview, they like my cv, want to move quick etc....

So I says, can you call back at half time, England - Spain quarter-final is about to kick-off and it's Euro 96?

Never called back.

Thinking back I've no idea what fecking planet I was on back then.....

Comment

11pm once for me.

Comment

6pm interview when I asked for one as late as possible. "Thanks for arranging this and sorry if I've kept you all in the office late".

"No problem we're all normally here until about 730pm most days".

Hmmm...... No thanks.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
                    I've been offered an evening telephone interview, 8pm.
                    Good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X