• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post

It wasn't him. IR35 legislation went into full force in 2019. All gov, banking, and other sectors made contractors an offer they could not refuse: go inside or **** off. Smaller clients used outside IR35 contractors for a bit, but gave up. I think we are seeing the last of the outside IR35 roles this year, because Labour detest small (well, micro) businesses. They want large permie workforce, because that's where they get their votes and money from trade unions.
    None of this can be laid at the door of the Labour government yet.

At the moment I genuinely think we have bigger worries than IR35. There is a lack of contracts full stop and by all accounts the permanent market isn’t much better.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...d-from-the-uk/

Immigration was higher than expected in 2023. The majority made up by Indians.

Ricki has done us over. Called over his home boys and now the UK has unemployed, highly skilled workforce.

Shirley this was the point of HS2. To get more people working in London, effectively. With COVID and WFH what's the point in HS2 and who will use it?

There is only one way out of this and that is to make London a 24hr city. We could increase the GDP of London by having shops and food outlets open all hours. Just my suggestion btw
    I was no Rishi fan but giving out Visas to stop companies having to pay decent wages/day rates was going on for years before he took charge.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied

Ricki has done us over. Called over his home boys and now the UK has unemployed, highly skilled workforce.

Shirley this was the point of HS2. To get more people working in London, effectively. With COVID and WFH what's the point in HS2 and who will use it?

There is only one way out of this and that is to make London a 24hr city. We could increase the GDP of London by having shops and food outlets open all hours. Just my suggestion btw
    It wasn't him. IR35 legislation went into full force in 2019. All gov, banking, and other sectors made contractors an offer they could not refuse: go inside or **** off. Smaller clients used outside IR35 contractors for a bit, but gave up. I think we are seeing the last of the outside IR35 roles this year, because Labour detest small (well, micro) businesses. They want large permie workforce, because that's where they get their votes and money from trade unions.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Semi-retired after coming out of a fairly lengthy contract & now helping elderly parents. Thought I'd have a look to see what's out there, WFH or a few days a week to help cope with winter while stuck here in the UK (dire isn't it? ). Anyway, what's up with all the "Must have current SC clearance" requirements I'm seeing frequently? I thought this had been resolved years ago? I can understand the case if it's DV clearance that's required but isn't SC clearance a 4-6 week job these days? Think my last 3 or 4 contracts have took that long anyway (non-SC) due to all the compliance stuff that's required these days.
    Getting SC can take up to three months in some cases. As for "must have current SC clearance" this is code for "tulip's on fire, we want to hire ASAP all the contractors fired by Reeves in July".
    Last edited by squarepeg; Today, 14:06.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Just read that NHS in Scotland is paying up to £830 per hour for psychiatrist cover as they have no people left. I wonder how much the end psychiatrist gets paid and how much the "consultancy" gets.
    It would be more cost effective to give that to the patient and tell them to buy themselves some specials treats to make them feel happy.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied

I thought there was a rule brought in to drop the SC requirement being stated unless the work is required immediately, which given most contracts take a while to start now anyway I assumed it'd now be a rarely seen requirement.

So after all the talk and action taken years ago it still hasn't been resolved
    Assumption is if you had it before, you can get it quickly, with people who've not had it before, you never know, you might go through the motions only to find out 6 months later the person didn't get it and is effectively useless. So it basically increases your chances of starting...at some point.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

It's a buyers market so agencies are being fussy and trying to restrict it down to the candidates they think we get an interview and the job...
    I thought there was a rule brought in to drop the SC requirement being stated unless the work is required immediately, which given most contracts take a while to start now anyway I assumed it'd now be a rarely seen requirement.

So after all the talk and action taken years ago it still hasn't been resolved

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Semi-retired after coming out of a fairly lengthy contract & now helping elderly parents. Thought I'd have a look to see what's out there, WFH or a few days a week to help cope with winter while stuck here in the UK (dire isn't it? ). Anyway, what's up with all the "Must have current SC clearance" requirements I'm seeing frequently? I thought this had been resolved years ago? I can understand the case if it's DV clearance that's required but isn't SC clearance a 4-6 week job these days? Think my last 3 or 4 contracts have took that long anyway (non-SC) due to all the compliance stuff that's required these days.
    It's a buyers market so agencies are being fussy and trying to restrict it down to the candidates they think we get an interview and the job...

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied

Its say outside IR35, but the job spec mentions 'line mangement' of junior developers, i guess they mean team leadership.

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Originally posted by willendure View Post

In my experience, Indians have a natural aptitude for making things complicated when they should be simple. Seems like a cultural trait.
    I'd agree with that....over complicate things on the 2 occasions that I've worked with them in large businesses.

Saw a job posted on LI this morning and 78 people commented on the role I'd say about 75% plus of the names responding were Indian it is very noticeable now the number of Indian applicants...eye opening in fact....

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    After a few busy weeks in September call for my skills (Scala) have dried up.
    https://www.jobserve.com/JobLanding....A21627B66349FA

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    [...]Please feck off 2024
    Agreed, 2024 can go and fecking do one, had so many tulip scenarios this year it easily tops the last 10yrs in terms of how tulip a year can be.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    It does seem to be getting worse rather than better. Usually at this time it's difficult to get a contract in a good market. Please feck off 2024

Leave a comment:

Working...
X