• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    For those who believe in such things, there are apparently no cranes up in the City of London at the moment for the first time in years. Apparently some take this as a sign the economy isn't doing well (although I am sure WFH is a factor now as well).

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by willendure View Post

In my experience, Indians have a natural aptitude for making things complicated when they should be simple. Seems like a cultural trait.
    I tend to find the better Indian IT workers have gone out on their own and become contractors or got permanent jobs while the more robotic ones remain with the consultancies. In that respect they aren't much different to anyone else in the industry.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    After a few busy weeks in September call for my skills (Scala) have dried up.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

They make things complex because that allows them to extract money from it..
    they learned bureaucracy from the best.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

In my experience, Indians have a natural aptitude for making things complicated when they should be simple. Seems like a cultural trait.
    They make things complex because that allows them to extract money from it..

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post

This. It's happening already. The idiocy of the situation is that I get approached by recruiters from Mumbai, working for Indian consultancies, to work for a client in Germany. I keep telling them to **** off, because I am not in the game of complicating my tax situation nor am I in the game of chasing payments across the globe.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied

Yes, but you'll be working through 3 levels of intermediaries just to get your foot in the door. I did a goverment contract once where the gov as end client was paying 1 consultancy, subcontracting to another consultancy, subcontracting to another consultancy, subcontracting to my ltd. I never found out what the gov department was actually paying, but it would not in the least have surprised me if it was more than double what I was getting.
    This. It's happening already. The idiocy of the situation is that I get approached by recruiters from Mumbai, working for Indian consultancies, to work for a client in Germany. I keep telling them to **** off, because I am not in the game of complicating my tax situation nor am I in the game of chasing payments across the globe.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied

Yes, but you'll be working through 3 levels of intermediaries just to get your foot in the door. I did a goverment contract once where the gov as end client was paying 1 consultancy, subcontracting to another consultancy, subcontracting to another consultancy, subcontracting to my ltd. I never found out what the gov department was actually paying, but it would not in the least have surprised me if it was more than double what I was getting.
    Just read that NHS in Scotland is paying up to £830 per hour for psychiatrist cover as they have no people left. I wonder how much the end psychiatrist gets paid and how much the "consultancy" gets.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Barclays have been taking the p1ss for over a decade. Everyone took the Barclays gigs to fill a hole and then left when they got something better. They changed the contract to no notice, i.e. could not give notice on the gig, to try stem the tide of people coming and going and did attempt to follow this as far as they could (for free) with contractors that did just give notice and leave even though they were in breach. Wonder if anything has changed on that front.
    When it comes to poor quality staff and systems Barclays are right down there with RBS, Credit Suisse etc.

Rates reflect this.

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Those who are really stuffed are the organizations using them. We'll be along (if we haven't retired) to fix all the design problems.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied

I agree - thats what it really became about. Sunaks wife owned a share of Infosys. As PM he gave out huge numbers of Tier 2 visas. Infosys for £100 million in govt IT contracts. We got stuffed.
    Those who are really stuffed are the organizations using them. We'll be along (if we haven't retired) to fix all the design problems.

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    Morgan Stanley estimates Amazon can cut 13,834 managers and save roughly $3 billion next year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Managers-vs.-Executives-16-9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	4297335

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Just saw this crazy headline, i'm guessing the number being so large this refers mostly to non IT managers, but could include IT management roles as well.

Morgan Stanley estimates Amazon can cut 13,834 managers and save roughly $3 billion next year.
    • CEO Andy Jassy wants to lower the ratio of managers to individual contributors.
    The estimate assumes 7% of Amazon's workforce is in management positions. As of the end of the second quarter of 2024, Amazon had approximately 105,770 total managers globally from 1.5 million employees.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/tech...ey/ar-AA1rFmkJ
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 4 October 2024, 09:09.

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    IR35 gave the contractor market to large, mostly offshore consultancies.
    I agree - thats what it really became about. Sunaks wife owned a share of Infosys. As PM he gave out huge numbers of Tier 2 visas. Infosys for £100 million in govt IT contracts. We got stuffed.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

It might have become more widespread since open source tools began appearing so people could learn it at home but decent automated testers (which admittedly is not all of them) should be prized. By doing this they are offering no encouragement for people to stay doing it or start doing it.

Business and Industry is really doing their best to make sure the IT industry isn't sustainable in this country.
    IR35 gave the contractor market to large, mostly offshore consultancies. I think I'm on my last contract and will be going perm soon. Need to catch the last of the AI wave before it crashes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X