• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• SchumiStars
    replied

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Interesting. My main skill is SQL, but I've developed a hobby aerial photos website in javascript, compiled with node.js. and a few years ago wrote a hobby trading website in C#. I wonder whether it is worth trying to build on the second two skills and try and use them professionally? Maybe I would not be able to find work though, if your experience is typical?
    It's always worth trying. I was always C# and then got a contract, oddly, wanting me to do Java. I had to learn, very quickly on the job. That was about 20yrs ago though.

Its also very different today than how it was when I first started circa Y2K. It does seem that, although useful, having an understanding of how computers work in detail is not required. I.e. Knowing how memory is allocated or how to improve performance on a database.

I am also very sure that the freshies, like Accenture graduates, are not particuly interested in computer science. They use it as an entry point for a career in order to become a (project/programme/tech) manager of some sort has it has more status associated.

It's only when you get to my age do you work out that being a developer within an aging community is probably not cool.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post

Software dev. Java, C#, Node, SQL
    Interesting. My main skill is SQL, but I've developed a hobby aerial photos website in javascript, compiled with node.js. and a few years ago wrote a hobby trading website in C#. I wonder whether it is worth trying to build on the second two skills and try and use them professionally? Maybe I would not be able to find work though, if your experience is typical?

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

I don't keep up with the trends in development platforms but if someone experienced in those technologies can't find work then most of us are in trouble.
    Even if you have Java or C# they will look for a closer match and experience in more specific sub skills. Just to filter through the 100s of CVs they get. Along with the other common filters like working the same sector recently.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied

I don't keep up with the trends in development platforms but if someone experienced in those technologies can't find work then most of us are in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied

They seem to be doing ok on that front. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...2.cms?from=mdr
    +1. India is doing well in their own defence manufacturing under the "Make in India" programme and doing very well in its exporting as well.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post

What field of work are you in?

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Started to think about catching a train. Not good.
    What field of work are you in?

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sub View Post

Aren't immigrants coming here to work as a preferred choice of the employer? Which means they provide better value (same labor / less expenses). It look like employers are simply seizing opportunity, which is considered normal in capitalism. I don't think that an immigrant can come here to take anyone's job without employer's taking care of his visa, ILR, etc.
    I would of think that this is employers (large businesses) who are profiteering at our expense, making our lives significantly worse.
    No. The end client (the employer) pays only slightly lower rate or even the same rate as before. The consultancies take a large cut of the contractor/employee's rate. The quality of work is low. Over the last decade I worked on about half a dozen projects where either imported labour or offshore labour was used and the quality was awful. In one case it tanked a promising startup in the the other it took a whole year to not deliver an important project.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied

Aren't immigrants coming here to work as a preferred choice of the employer? Which means they provide better value (same labor / less expenses). It look like employers are simply seizing opportunity, which is considered normal in capitalism. I don't think that an immigrant can come here to take anyone's job without employer's taking care of his visa, ILR, etc.
    I would of think that this is employers (large businesses) who are profiteering at our expense, making our lives significantly worse.
    Absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post

Weapons.
    They seem to be doing ok on that front. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...2.cms?from=mdr

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied

Not better value. My experience is that cheap labour costs more in the long term. As you have to redo the work in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• Sub
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

At our expense. Making our lives significantly worse and us poorer too.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied

I agree with both those points, and ironically those self same people who came over are in the same boat as the rest of us now.

If I could sort out the balance of trade deficit with India I wouldn't be wasting my time on here. In fairness it is an emerging market but Whisky aside I struggle to see what we can offer them that they can't sort out themselves.
    Weapons.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Despite their only fault is desire to do better for themselves and their families and being unlucky to be born poor.
    At our expense. Making our lives significantly worse and us poorer too.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied

Thing is that this narrative about immigration is always a distraction. You mentioned Brexit vote above and this is great example. There also were two years of anti-immigration hysteria before the vote and it worked like a charm. Despite Brexit was nothing to do with immigration from non-EU countries, despite 20% of NHS staff was from EU, despite potential loss of Northern Ireland (all that been in public domain). Farmers even managed to shot themselves into chin instead of foot.

And here we go again, instead of discussing Thames Water and need for private profits in essential infrastructure, workers rights, consistent cuts in public services and other complex, but actual issues everyone seem to be content to blame guys coming from other countries instead. Despite their only fault is desire to do better for themselves and their families and being unlucky to be born poor.
    What has Thames Water, workers rights etc got to do with immigration? Sorry but you seem to have a chip on shoulder regarding immigration.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X