• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    Agent phone me, 2 days onsite, central London, sc cleared, £400 inside.

I turned him down. I got the impression he was taking the Michael.

Is this ever going to end?

A couple of months ago you said you went to an interview for a junior role for something around £14per hour. But yesterday you turned away an agent phone call regarding a £50 per hour role?

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

I wouldn't hold your breath if you haven't heard anything by now after a month.

I'm finding that I don't even get a rejection notification for over half my perm applications.
    That's the issue, half the applications didn't even get an auto rejection which is kind of unusual, but then again, maybe not so much anymore.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Agent phone me, 2 days onsite, central London, sc cleared, £400 inside.

I turned him down. I got the impression he was taking the Michael.

Is this ever going to end?

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

It's practically May now...

Still waiting for some feedback on the 10+ permie applications I've sent back at the end of March...Also turns out my current client had a change of heart and might actually be able to offer me a perm position [fingers crossed x 10]
    I wouldn't hold your breath if you haven't heard anything by now after a month.

I'm finding that I don't even get a rejection notification for over half my perm applications.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post
    If i recall correctly, last years April bounce lasted into the middle of May. This years April bounce fizzled out before the middle of April.

The inflation data in the US killed any chance of multiple interest rate cuts this year everywhere, including the EU and UK. That seemed to have caused a major change of sentiment, a turn for the even worse.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; Yesterday, 11:32.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

It looks like the market is back to the level last seen in December but its now April , which is supposed to be one the best months of the year..

Still waiting for some feedback on the 10+ permie applications I've sent back at the end of March...Also turns out my current client had a change of heart and might actually be able to offer me a perm position [fingers crossed x 10]

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Well, having spent much of the day scratching about looking for a new gig, I can safely say there's sweet FA out there
    It looks like the market is back to the level last seen in December but its now April , which is supposed to be one the best months of the year..

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    Good ol' apex fallacy

Elon Musk is rich and he's a man, so all men are basically rich elon musks

I like this video https://v.redd.it/7rwjp1bb063a1

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

haha. The two people who finished top of the year - Cambridge Chemistry and Physics Triposes, both white working class. I recall the Chem guy telling me most of his classmates were in prison. Amazing what happens when you open a book.
    Wow. You've picked two individuals. Must be true.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

Rubbish, white working-class boys are one of the most disadvantaged of all.
    haha. The two people who finished top of the year - Cambridge Chemistry and Physics Triposes, both white working class. I recall the Chem guy telling me most of his classmates were in prison. Amazing what happens when you open a book.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

If you think DEI is bad now, wait till Labour get in.
    Lol. There’s no one more DEI than the Tories. Just look at all the dross they’ve churned though on their front bench in the name of diversity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	4288583

As for the rest of the country, the Tories have been hard at work rubbing our noses in diversity with the millions of permanent non E U immi grants they’ve imported (and continue to import) over the past many years. That’s what’s going to have a decades long impact on our job market..
    Last edited by sreed; 27 April 2024, 06:53.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Well, having spent much of the day scratching about looking for a new gig, I can safely say there's sweet FA out there

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    That’s simply not true! As others have said disadvantaged working class and suicide rates

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    You know, on balance, I think white males do quite well in society compared to others.

Rubbish, white working-class boys are one of the most disadvantaged of all.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    You know, on balance, I think white males do quite well in society compared to others.
    That's a very sweeping statement backed up with zero facts and figures if you don't mind me saying. Bunging an unqualified statement like that out there just opens a can of worms and will lead to an endless discussion no one wins.

Let me throw one out. Yes they do, they top all the charts, including highest suicide rate by gender and by race. Trophy for the white males.. Hurrah.

I'm not saying they don't but I don't think that comment will help anything.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 April 2024, 08:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X