• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by willendure View Post

This is true. My client recently posted for a developer on LI and got > 300 applications. Not one of them had real experience of the main skill being sought! I was able to find them 4 or 5 good candidates by posting to the jobs channel on some relevant Discord groups.
    Is recruiting part of your contract? If not, you are SO FAR inside IR35…

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c05g...460462449#post

Government to tackle 'economic dependency on net migration'

Should be a positive for contractors, if it happens.

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    100% ignore the number of applicants count on LinkedIn. 99% will be scammers and dreamers from abroad.
    This is true. My client recently posted for a developer on LI and got > 300 applications. Not one of them had real experience of the main skill being sought! I was able to find them 4 or 5 good candidates by posting to the jobs channel on some relevant Discord groups.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    100% ignore the number of applicants count on LinkedIn. 99% will be scammers and dreamers from abroad.
    Plus it counts you if you get half way through the process and it asks you how much experience you have in something that wasn't mentioned in the advert.

Leave a comment:

• coolhandluke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Not seeing much of a post Summer holidays bounce other than a few adverts appearing which no doubt either don't exist or get hundreds of applications.
    Completely agree with you man. And this point of the year, it may now even be Mar/April 2025.

I honestly can't believe how bad it is. It's like the universe has conspired to be against me.
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Yup, very slow but it can't stay this slow forever.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Not seeing much of a post Summer holidays bounce other than a few adverts appearing which no doubt either don't exist or get hundreds of applications.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Got an idea.

https://youtu.be/n4zeLLOGu0k?si=WV-UINGNGTmVtF15

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Hit that block button, problem solved. Then you can focus on your much bigger issue, of being one of life's oxygen thieves.
    ooer, getting testy now. still, makes a change from the pathetic whining, i suppose

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

or perpetually whinging, like you, you mean?
    Hit that block button, problem solved. Then you can focus on your much bigger issue, of being one of life's oxygen thieves.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

Spend your time doing work rather than tossing it off on forums and you won't notice.
    or perpetually whinging, like you, you mean?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

geez! are you still here?? i mean, really?
    Spend your time doing work rather than tossing it off on forums and you won't notice.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

Yet another sign of an economy where the majority does not have disposable money to spend. Mortgages, energy, food etc all far too much. And the occupational government thinks they are going to raise taxes in October! Its starmageddon. I honest think we are in for a real winter of discontent. Not the boomer pretend one where people were just a bit miffed.
    geez! are you still here?? i mean, really?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    TGI Friday has gone bust, it is not a good market for pot washers or busboys.
    Yet another sign of an economy where the majority does not have disposable money to spend. Mortgages, energy, food etc all far too much. And the occupational government thinks they are going to raise taxes in October! Its starmageddon. I honest think we are in for a real winter of discontent. Not the boomer pretend one where people were just a bit miffed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X