• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to break the news"

Collapse

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's not but need to do it properly. Breaching contract and the agent/client withholding the last invoices could make the new raise look a of a poor choice.
    Isn't that what I just said!

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Result! Good work and I hope the new gig works out as well as hoped.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Why are you going to the new client? What are they offering you that the existing one isn't?

Why on earth do you think they will waive 1 weeks notice?? I mean.. a bloody week. You can't expect to just stand up and **** off from a client after a year. That's just stupid.

What are you going to do if your client say that's fine. Hand your kit in etc a week on Friday? You going to breach contract?
    NLUK has a point. Why on earth would you tell new client you can start monday if you're on a week notice?

To be honest, you're lucky to have a weeks notice BUT I'm a big believer in if its in the contract then its fair game to invoke. Client signed up to this as well.

BUT to assume the client will let you go with zero notice is bad form. I would suggest that since you've been there a while they're going to need a handover. In fact, Im betting they dont realise/remember you're only on a week?

So you go to current client and say I'm off BTW I dont want to give you the full week? They say no way. What are you going to do? I fear you could end up with NO contract at all here if you're not careful.

Never done it but times I've considered it I've always told the new client the actual notice period but indicated it MAY be shorter if I can negotiate as such.

EDIT - I see you sorted it. Lucky for you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    See.. Nice and easy when it's done properly.

Leave a comment:

• HarryCodLife
    replied
    It's not but need to do it properly. Breaching contract and the agent/client withholding the last invoices could make the new raise look a of a poor choice.
    Have taken your advice and done it by the book - Have handed in weeks notice - New client is ok with the new start date - Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Aah yes I remember this one, a 20 odd percent rise is not to be sniffed at, get the weeks notice in and play it by the book, don't burn bridges.

Leave a comment:

• Yonmons
    replied
    Originally posted by HarryCodLife View Post
    An extra £5ph from £18 to £23, for me, that's a lot.
    Your doing nothing I wouldnt do TBH, we are a business and expect to make money. Sort out that start date, ensure its accepted then bang the notice in. You never know they may even try to match your new offer. BUT thats down to you sometimes it good to move on.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Aah yes I remember this one, a 20 odd percent rise is not to be sniffed at, get the weeks notice in and play it by the book, don't burn bridges.

Leave a comment:

• HarryCodLife
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    This.

If the new client cannot wait for a week then they are not worth bothering with.

How much pay rise are you getting?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why are you going to the new client? What are they offering you that the existing one isn't?

Why on earth do you think they will waive 1 weeks notice?? I mean.. a bloody week. You can't expect to just stand up and **** off from a client after a year. That's just stupid.

What are you going to do if your client say that's fine. Hand your kit in etc a week on Friday? You going to breach contract?
    This.

If the new client cannot wait for a week then they are not worth bothering with.

How much pay rise are you getting?

Leave a comment:

• HarryCodLife
    replied

More money and Friday afternoons off, plus it is literally next door to to the company I work for now, ( I walk to work) Yes I know I deserve everything I get for this, it is a situation entirely of my own making/indecision. I will hand in my notice today and put back the start date by one week. Thanks all for your input.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Am two weeks into the 3rd stint . . .

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Need to hand in my notice today. Will come as a shock to them, have been here a year, 2 x 6 months. New contract want me to start on Monday. Hoping they will waive the 1 weeks notice. Sitting here trying to pluck up the courage to tell them. Anyone else been in this situation.
    You've made your decision. Time to behave like a grown-up and live with the consequences.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ahhh I see we've done all this..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...contracts.html

This is just a question about not having big enough cojones to get on with it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Need to hand in my notice today. Will come as a shock to them, have been here a year, 2 x 6 months. New contract want me to start on Monday. Hoping they will waive the 1 weeks notice. Sitting here trying to pluck up the courage to tell them. Anyone else been in this situation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X