• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caught between two contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught between two contracts

Have been here a year - 2 x 6 months - Current six month contract has just been renewed for a further six months until September at £18ph, this will be the 3rd six month contract with this company - Very boring, hardly anything to do, only contractor in dept, regarded as office junior at 56 years old. Have just been offered a four month contract with a different company at £23ph which is likely to go beyond four months, IT Support, more interesting and varied work. I haven't actually signed anything for either contract as of yet. Can I just give a weeks notice on my current contract and then start the four month contract April 4th, might I be in breach of contract for example - Cheers.

Originally posted by HarryCodLife View Post
    Have been here a year - 2 x 6 months - Current six month contract has just been renewed for a further six months until September at £18ph, this will be the 3rd six month contract with this company - Very boring, hardly anything to do, only contractor in dept, regarded as office junior at 56 years old. Have just been offered a four month contract with a different company at £23ph which is likely to go beyond four months, IT Support, more interesting and varied work. I haven't actually signed anything for either contract as of yet. Can I just give a weeks notice on my current contract and then start the four month contract April 4th, might I be in breach of contract for example - Cheers.
    What does your contract say?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Good point, it's been so long, will have to dig it out. But in general, in your experience, what might be the potential pitfalls - Cheers.

Comment

For £18 an hour I would jump ship straight away, at 56 I wouldn't give a stuff about burning bridges especially on that rate.

just give them the weeks notice and go

Comment

Thanks I think I will do just that - Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            I will have to dig it out, but thanks.

Comment

Do you get any of these IR35 checked? Doing IT Support would put you inside IR35 would it not? It's an enduring role not project based so effectively a disguised permie?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HarryCodLife View Post
                I will have to dig it out, but thanks.
                Do that first as it will define what you can and can't do from a legal POV, if the contact doesn't give you an out then its time to play nice and see if they will let you go.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Do you get any of these IR35 checked? Doing IT Support would put you inside IR35 would it not? It's an enduring role not project based so effectively a disguised permie?
                  Seriously? on 18 quid an hour he's probably using a brolly or PAYE...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    At the rate the OP is talking about, it is probably not worth working through a ltd and maybe even more profitable to work through an umbrella.

Comment

Working...
                    X