• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency prank calls?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
    BTW, my questions were answered already, and since then we went off topic..
    Yep. Thread locked.

Leave a comment:

• wogewwabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Agencies prey on FUD. If they create FUD then someone will accept a role with a lower rate, or will accept a role that they would normally refuse.
    Ok, that does make some sense, it could have been that.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The rest was speculation, and I emphasized that multiple times. The reason why I'm speculating is because a recruiter advised me that "in the current circumstances (Brexit) it might be wise starting the naturalisation process, even though I'm from the EU."

IF there is a Brexit
    and
    IF a future UK government decides to change the law on foreign workers - e.g. making them require visas, or just deporting them
    then
    Yes, as someone who has lived in the country for more than a decade, so it looks like you want to stay, then it probably makes sense to begin the naturalisation process.

Agencies prey on FUD. If they create FUD then someone will accept a role with a lower rate, or will accept a role that they would normally refuse.

It's your call, but any time I am looking for work, I look at the market and I look at myself - how can I make myself more appealing to the current/future market.
    I can't blame others if it's me that needs to change to keep up with market/political changes.
    Last edited by WTFH; 29 March 2016, 23:41.

Leave a comment:

• wogewwabbit
    replied
    BTW, my questions were answered already, and since then we went off topic.

The rest was speculation, and I emphasized that multiple times. The reason why I'm speculating is because a recruiter advised me that "in the current circumstances (Brexit) it might be wise starting the naturalisation process, even though I'm from the EU."

But even with that, this is a speculation. And yes, this makes me emotional, so I agree, there is not much more to discuss here.

Leave a comment:

• wogewwabbit
    replied
    Your use of capital letters kinda backs up my first sentence... Way too much emotion.

How do you know the calls are time wasting?
    What area is your expertise in?
    What changed in 2012 to make people change their opinion of you?
    Yeah, kinda. If you accuse me of being racist I do get emotional. You are trying to turn the s...t back on me because I brought up the possibility that I may be discriminated against.

I already know the company names that are timewasters, so once they say "Damco Solutions" I know I can block them. The number they call from is a London number, so those can be blocked. When you ask them if they are in the UK, they say yes, then you check their email origin, and the IP is in India. This is a lie. And I am not supposed to do business with companies in India, neither with liars.

I don't know what changed in 2012.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Your use of capital letters kinda backs up my first sentence... Way too much emotion.

How do you know the calls are time wasting?
    What area is your expertise in?
    What changed in 2012 to make people change their opinion of you?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I AM NOT BLOCKING RECRUITERS WITH INDIAN ACCENTS, I AM BLOCKING TIMEWASTER RECRUITERS, MOST OF WHOM HAPPEN TO BE INDIAN. I AM ALSO BLOCKING OTHER TIMEWASTERS.

If you read the conversation you may have noticed my comment, where I explicitly expressed my worries about that them sounding foreign does not necessarily mean they are into scam. It is not the accent that causes the problem, it is the fact that we are getting so many timewasting calls from call centres in India.

Ok, so what do you think I should do then?
    You can't block a call anyway with an Indian accent as you'd need to hear the accent first.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think you should keep posting your woes. At least it's amusing.

Leave a comment:

• wogewwabbit
    replied
    Sorry there are not enough facts and too much emotion to provide meaningful advice that might be listened to.

Also, is it just me who finds it interesting that a non-British person is blocking calls from recruiters with Indian accents because they sound foreign?
    I AM NOT BLOCKING RECRUITERS WITH INDIAN ACCENTS, I AM BLOCKING TIMEWASTER RECRUITERS, MOST OF WHOM HAPPEN TO BE INDIAN. I AM ALSO BLOCKING OTHER TIMEWASTERS.

If you read the conversation you may have noticed my comment, where I explicitly expressed my worries about that them sounding foreign does not necessarily mean they are into scam. It is not the accent that causes the problem, it is the fact that we are getting so many timewasting calls from call centres in India.

Ok, so what do you think I should do then?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Sorry there are not enough facts and too much emotion to provide meaningful advice that might be listened to.

Also, is it just me who finds it interesting that a non-British person is blocking calls from recruiters with Indian accents because they sound foreign?

Leave a comment:

• wogewwabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Perhaps it's a DV job or something?
    Then they could just say that. Why would they lie if they have a legitimate reason not to put me forward? Actually it happened twice already. I could pass an SC vetting but they needed an existing clearance.
    Last edited by wogewwabbit; 29 March 2016, 21:01.

Leave a comment:

• wogewwabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So why didn't you tell the agent asking about your right to work in the UK they where talking tulip?
    It doesn't matter if I think it's tulip, if some recruitment agencies decide to ignore Eastern-European candidates. It doesn't matter what I tell them, if they don't call me back. Of course it's just a speculation, but since one agent even confirmed this, I can't ignore this possibility. Also I've got kinda paranoid after 4 months of not getting anywhere.
    Another thing: some agencies are constantly bombarding me with contracts that are outside of the UK. These are well-known UK agencies, they never send me a UK contract role.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So why didn't you tell the agent asking about your right to work in the UK they where talking tulip?
    Perhaps it's a DV job or something?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I know that. It's just a matter of time. No issue there. I'm allowed to have dual citizenship.

Leave a comment:

• wogewwabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    You can apply for BC then and keep your other EU citizenship too even if it might be one of those that doesn't (normally) allow dual citizenship, like Germany and the Netherlands.
    I know that. It's just a matter of time. No issue there. I'm allowed to have dual citizenship.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X