• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency Payment terms"

Collapse

• piotrkula
    replied
    Wow that sucks. I always demand my invoices to be paid within 7 days, evey 7 days of timesheet approval. No? NEEEXT!

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    I'm disappointed with BT, surely this should have been Layer 1\Layer2, Layer 3 etc
    No, we couldn't remember that. It was Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Saw this at BT a long time ago. T1 / T2 as above (LAN, Switches, CPE), T3 Strong CCNA-CCNP (Config/NOC stuff), T4 CCIE (Design Authority, tulip hits the fan support)

But we are talking nearly 2 decades ago ....
    I'm disappointed with BT, surely this should have been Layer 1\Layer2, Layer 3 etc

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Made up I think

Hmm, what's wrong the old ways of 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, consultant. Using Tier X surely just confuses it with the Tier 2 visa thingymajig?? Which begs the question if there is a Tier 1 visa?
    There is! Tier 1 Entrepreneur, Tier 1 Investor and Tier 1 Exceptional Talent. Tier 1 General and Tier 1 Post Study Work are both closed now.

There's Tier 4 Student and Tier 5 Temporary Work as well.

Wonder why no Tier 3?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
    Back then the CCIE's commanded a decent rate, until everyone jumped on the bandwagon and started becoming CCIE/JNCIE, the rate has been diluted. I had a gig at EE 3 years back and a permie qualified as CCIE and wanted to go contracting and the best he could command was £400/day
    Which isn't bad for buggering about with cables and boxes and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• jbond007
    replied
    Back then the CCIE's commanded a decent rate, until everyone jumped on the bandwagon and started becoming CCIE/JNCIE, the rate has been diluted. I had a gig at EE 3 years back and a permie qualified as CCIE and wanted to go contracting and the best he could command was £400/day

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Good question. Normally T1 = support desk, T2 = 2nd line support. Never heard of T4. Suspect it's either client specific, or made up by agent.
    Saw this at BT a long time ago. T1 / T2 as above (LAN, Switches, CPE), T3 Strong CCNA-CCNP (Config/NOC stuff), T4 CCIE (Design Authority, tulip hits the fan support)

But we are talking nearly 2 decades ago ....

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Good question. Normally T1 = support desk, T2 = 2nd line support. Never heard of T4. Suspect it's either client specific, or made up by agent.
    Made up I think

Hmm, what's wrong the old ways of 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, consultant. Using Tier X surely just confuses it with the Tier 2 visa thingymajig?? Which begs the question if there is a Tier 1 visa?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Umm, what's a Tier 4 consultant

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by 7656 View Post
    This is the first contract (6 months term). The role is - IT Consultant (Tier 4).

Umm, what's a Tier 4 consultant

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    A lot can also depend on the agency's experience/relationship with the end client - i.e., has a signed timesheet and invoice combination always been paid.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Usually they are more than capable, its just that it will, often, cost them more to do regular payment runs.
    In this case, it is up to you to negotiate, as hard as you would on rate.

I know of one single agency, at client co, contractors are on all sorts of payment terms with them, for this very reason i.e. they failed to negotiate.

Not everyone gets treated the same, obviously, any bedwetters need not apply
    I would add that a lot of agencies factor, and factoring rates are a lot more attractive on 28+ day terms than 7.

However, that is the agency's problem. Everything is up to negotiation. Debtor days = risk, whether you are going direct or through an agency.

From the agencies perspective debtor days to contractor = larger number on balance sheet.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 6 January 2016, 11:51.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Of course, you're absolutely correct, and my questions in my previous post were largely rhetorical, but you've highlighted it again, "it will, often, cost them more to do regular payment runs". Something that is entirely, unequivocally none of your concern. Of course, you have to have the backbone to very clearly and vigorously explain this to the agent.
    This
    When they say they "can't", its absolute poppy cock.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Usually they are more than capable, its just that it will, often, cost them more to do regular payment runs.

I know of one single agency, at client co, contractors are on all sorts of payment terms with them, for this very reason i.e. they failed to negotiate.

Of course, you're absolutely correct, and my questions in my previous post were largely rhetorical, but you've highlighted it again, "it will, often, cost them more to do regular payment runs". Something that is entirely, unequivocally none of your concern. Of course, you have to have the backbone to very clearly and vigorously explain this to the agent.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Why is the agent's "system" incapable of dealing with (say) 7 day payment terms?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X