• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice needed in dismissal"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Peter Noone? He was great with Herman's Hermits.
    Lola's banned, they won't reply.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by Lola C View Post
    Oh my, you are still going on? And noone moved this thread yet?

Highjacking other peoples threads is not so nice.
    Peter Noone? He was great with Herman's Hermits.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    The long and short of it is you are not and the employee, you're a supplier providing a service.

Suppliers can have a contract with a client stating that the client would like the supplier to provide some amount of service x for y months.
    They can terminate the contract with 2 weeks notice, but if service x is not required in those two weeks the supplier doesn't get paid.

If you hired a builder for two weeks then decided after the first weekend that you didn't really want that extra wall taken down after all you wouldn't expect to pay for the second week would you? He'd bill for the first week and go off to the next job... He night have some interesting names for you...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    You advised them you are terminating the contract, they decided to wave the notice period you are required to give them, whats more complicated than that?

Leave a comment:

• Lola C
    replied
    Oh my, you are still going on? And noone moved this thread yet?

Highjacking other peoples threads is not so nice.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Sounds a lot like the response given in Arkell vs Pressdram

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I'd want it in writing.
    What, something like:-

Dear OP

#### off and get another contract.

Love and Kisses,

A Director.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Must admit the director seems quite sure
    I'd want it in writing.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Given that the director (presumably the MD?) told him to "**** off" I don't see him caving.
    Must admit the director seems quite sure

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    As I said this scenario has happened to me a couple of times.

On one they gave and let me work the notice.
    On the other told at lunch time, told to be offsite by the end of the working day.
    Given that the director (presumably the MD?) told him to "**** off" I don't see him caving.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If he can get notice pay then that sure matters more than a bean.

Regardless though - your contract is a legal document. Your client cannot simply terminate it on the spur of the moment for no reason. They can issue you notice and say there's no work, or they can march you out if YOU have broken the contract.

If they do things in the wrong way they could be legally liable, just as you could be if you simply didn't come in rather than exercising your MOO clause.
    As I said this scenario has happened to me a couple of times.

On one they gave and let me work the notice.
    On the other told at lunch time, told to be offsite by the end of the working day.

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied

Regardless though - your contract is a legal document. Your client cannot simply terminate it on the spur of the moment for no reason. They can issue you notice and say there's no work, or they can march you out if YOU have broken the contract.

If they do things in the wrong way they could be legally liable, just as you could be if you simply didn't come in rather than exercising your MOO clause.
    If OP gets notice pay I'll give you the same amount.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

"We've run out of budget, sorry."
    "We've reviewed our strategic direction and your project no longer fits within that scope, effective immediately. Sorry."

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    It doesn't matter a bean. He's been tulip-canned and that's the end of it.

Potentially he can hit the agency for notice pay, depends on the terms.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    All the welsh are too short so have small willies.
    I will take your word for it.

I could ask ex-mrs-bp-2. But if its bad news I don't want to know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X