• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gravitas Recruitment Group - Meeting request?"

Collapse

• DarkLard
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Had a call from a fairly nice chap from GRG. Didn't push for references, etc but did say they "as a premium recruiter" are very keen to meet with new contractors F2F or via Skype.

Is it worth it? It'd be nice to think their are agencies who genuinely like to build a relationship/rapport with the people they're trying to place but sadly it's not the norm.

Anyone got specific experience with this company rather than general "they're all parasites" comments?
    I've had the same and did meet with the agent. Worth doing in my opinion and they seem genuine. Although I'm still with the same client and not had any role placement type experience.

Leave a comment:

• theoko
    replied
    No more free lunches

If I'm benching I'll happily meet the recruiters that call me up and would like a meet/greet. It used to be they'd offer lunch but nowadays I'm finding it's a coffee they'll offer and that's it. One time I had a recruiter take me for coffee and then tell me he forgot his wallet!?!?! I should have known he was a bit of a charlatan by the way he referred to himself as a 'headhunter'

I've found Gravitas to be the type that call but never have relevant roles. I've been a PM for over 10 years, transitioned from being a .net developer yet they still approach me with .net development jobs! And before anyone mentions it, yes they do have an up-to-date CV.

Leave a comment:

• achilles
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Only ever do this if I've got nothing better to do.

i.e on the bench and its not far to go...
    I never meet up with agents in order for them to put me forward for roles as it is a waste of time and have better things to do.

I only meet up with agents who placed me in the current contract and wish to discuss how things are going, extensions, etc. over lunch / coffee.

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Assume you mean on the way to the Job Centre?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• grahamc
    replied
    I have had a previous contract via Gravitas and met up with the agent before the face-to-face interview. He is one of the VERY few agents that keeps in contact, has taken me out for lunch (twice) and is getting involved in the field I work (organizing events, with guest speakers, etc).

One of the very few that I would recommend - still an agency, but better than pretty much all that I have worked with (quite a sad fact really).

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    I would likely go for a meet, if I was at a loose end and benched etc. Only agents I have actually met F2F have been those I have been working via, and that has been to collect my Christmas pressie (yes, really!) and for a drinks reception on ClientCo campus.......

Never overlook a free lunch/drink, provided you have nothing better to do, and can keep your mouth tighter-lipped than a very tight-lipped mouth

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    I met one once.

Went for a nice lunch in the city paid for by the agent.

It didn't lead to anything although the agent keeps in-touch to see if I'm interested in any of their roles now and again.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    If they have a role that that think you can fill they will be all over you like flies on tulip, otherwise it's a waste of your time meeting up IMO.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Always worth meeting face to face - unless you have an awful personality! Skype and telephone less so. But always be on your guard.

Leave a comment:

• OnceStonedRose
    replied
    Met agents twice for a brew and chat, amounted to the expected fishing attempts to garner the much fabled referees, does so and so still run the department at company x etc.... Total waste of both our times. I assume the lad/lass fancies themselves as being able to charm your little black book when face to face as opposed to phone or mail?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    ROC IT and a few others do this. They say its so they can assure clients they have vetted every contractor (after they've pumped them for referees names & addresses).

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    If it's not out of your way then I would go.

Expanding your network is never a bad idea.

And you might get a free drink out of it...

Leave a comment:

• Draco
    replied
    Unless you've an interview and he's willing to meet up near the client before or after interview - don't bother.

Skype is not unreasonable if you've time to kill - why not?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've met one and it came to nothing so you could say more the fool me but it cost me nothing so no skin of my nose.

If it's not going to inconvenience you and you are going to be OK if to get no benefit from it then why not.

Oh sorry. When I say one it was a different agency.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X