• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agent and Contractor agree rate client now wants contractor cheaper"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The decision should always be hard nosed. In the end usually a contract only lasts 3 months to begin with. If in the late stages of negotiation the rate goes down, you simply calculate how long do you need to get a new contract. If it takes 3 months then it's a no brainer you suck it up and see it through, i.e. a lower rate is better than nothing. If you have 3 interviews lined up, you turn it down, because you'll probably have a better paid contract in a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Pollypanda
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    Having slept on it a few days I'm glad this one didn't work out.

The warning signs are there being a smaller outfit.

The market seems to be picking up being early September and I have an ample war chest to keep me going until the right gig comes along.

That's the spirit I would have passed as well, it's not the same role anymore nor the rate you want. Definitely dodged a bullet.

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied
    if contracts were signed I would walk on principle, if it was during late negotiation I would have discussed.

Bird in hand and all that.

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    For anyone interested Client co have got rid of the agent and are hiring direct at an even further drop in rate.

C#/.NET Developers Urgently Required - Immediate Start - Farnham Surrey - September-02-2015 (EU26a)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    Hang on. So you went all the way to the interview knowing the rate was rubbish and then tried to negotiate a higher rate when they offered you the role? no wonder the agent was narked!! But has that ever worked for you before? I've had agents call up and tell me how my CV was an absolute PERFECT FIT for the role and how the client is dying to see me, etc etc and the role was clearly paying below market rate. I'll only take a lower rate if desperate, and thanks God that's not happened as yet.
    Please tell me you didn't fall for this......

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    I've interviewed at a gig at a low rate as the role looked interesting and after interview it was a much more senior role than originally described. At offer I suggested this was way below market rate and stuck my rate in thinking they may go with it as they won't be able to find the right candidate at that rate. They had a standard rate card so declined. So be it. Agent was a bit annoyed but he also admitted the rate was a little low. I'm sure we've all tried to barter prices down from marked in the past. You could argue it's no different here.

Hang on. So you went all the way to the interview knowing the rate was rubbish and then tried to negotiate a higher rate when they offered you the role? no wonder the agent was narked!! But has that ever worked for you before? I've had agents call up and tell me how my CV was an absolute PERFECT FIT for the role and how the client is dying to see me, etc etc and the role was clearly paying below market rate. I'll only take a lower rate if desperate, and thanks God that's not happened as yet.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post

If it's very small then your cost is probably pretty significant to them so trying to get the best price is understandable - as is the MD being involved directly because there might be so few people he IS the HR department.

Changing the rate that much after accepting is however not on at all, so it doesn't sound great unless it was just the agent being hopeless. Did you ever check with the MD to find out?

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied

The market seems to be picking up being early September and I have an ample war chest to keep me going until the right gig comes along.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    YNCOTBAC

(Your not cut out to be a comedian)
    I'm here all week, try the Veal

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    oh come on I admitted that was a crap joke, no need to rub it in SM!
    YNCOTBAC

(Your not cut out to be a comedian)

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    oh come on I admitted that was a crap joke, no need to rub it in SM!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    tbh I don't see that much difference between public and private. Having said that I've never worked in banking or in that London.
    About £100/day up north. hth

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    tbh I don't see that much difference between public and private. Having said that I've never worked in banking or in that London.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Hmm... That one sounds like an Arrows deal. I've never had an interview with them, but they definitely tried on the oh, I was wrong about the rate game.

Name, names please -- We all need to avoid like this.

I would be beyond angry if this happened to me.
    I'm wondering if the agency was using me to test the water to see if the client would go to private sector market rate - it was a public sector gig.

While I appreciate your concern, it's hard for me to aportion blame to agent or client without knowing for sure whether the hiring manager said market rate and wasn't specific enough that it was public sector market rate! So on that basis I'm reluctant to name and shame.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    You could say he's managed to 'Slip The Jab'...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X