• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lost trust in my client"

Collapse

• Magpie252
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    If you are in Switzerland you don't need to worry. Either they keep their promise and extend the contract, or they don't and you get a grand a week from the RAV just as the ski season starts.

I can't see a downside.
    This assumes that the OP is resident on a 'B' permit

If he's on a temporary contract he'll have an 'L' permit tied to his employment contract. If the contract is terminated he can apply to have the L permit extended while looking for work in Switzerland, but he's not entitled to Social Security

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/bfm...l_eu_efta.html

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Why worry?

If you are in Switzerland you don't need to worry. Either they keep their promise and extend the contract, or they don't and you get a grand a week from the RAV just as the ski season starts.

I can't see a downside.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I know everyone uses the term contractor but in Switzerland you are a temporary employee, you can always give notice and bugger off. No-one is going to sue you or withold payment if you leave before the end as you have employment rights. Just chat with the PM when you want to go and agree a leaving date.

Leave a comment:

• jbond007
    replied
    Originally posted by oilyrag View Post
    Has anyone asked for future contracts to be signed now with cancellation clause's and payouts? Or should I just take the contract till Xmas and use the time to search for a new gig?
    This sounds plausible for a more senior role, they probably have this thing for Directors/CTO/CFO's on contracts. Take the renewal and start searching for a new gig if you feel you won't be renewed after XMAS

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    The fact you have to travel and use accommodation is not the clients problem though. (unless it is in the contract of course, which in most cases I think is unlikely)
    No it isn't but each individual contract is a negotiation.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Given the complete ineffectiveness of a notice period (NLUK's favourite subject), then it's an interesting point.

If I've made the commitment (train bookings, accommodation, etc) then being compensated isn't that unreasonable. Equivalent of a call out charge in the trades. Probably won't happen but similarly being binned off with no notice isn't going to encourage me to go back somewhere.
    The fact you have to travel and use accommodation is not the clients problem though. (unless it is in the contract of course, which in most cases I think is unlikely)

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    This must be a joke, right ?
    Given the complete ineffectiveness of a notice period (NLUK's favourite subject), then it's an interesting point.

If I've made the commitment (train bookings, accommodation, etc) then being compensated isn't that unreasonable. Equivalent of a call out charge in the trades. Probably won't happen but similarly being binned off with no notice isn't going to encourage me to go back somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Clients seem to not be too worried about paying for contractors but the baulk at a few extra K for permies. Different budgets etc I assume....

Maybe what happened. First bloke says to you, yeh we'll get you that salary but someone further up the line says no way are we paying that much salary. Maybe taking into account it'll be way more than the current permies....

Oh OK then we'll have to keep him as contractor - yes ok then no problem its a different budget.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Has anyone asked for future contracts to be signed now with cancellation clause's and payouts?
    This must be a joke, right ?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I lost one contract to a permie, but that was the permie that I handed over to for the final 3-month extension that I got. That's part of contracting. You serve as a resource gap because taking on a permie is either inefficient or not required at the time.

Why would you want to go permie, that's the bigger question here.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    I wouldn't see a problem with that. Just enjoy the rest of your contract, as you did before. Taking on a permy is fine as they would probably have done that anyway. Slightly unfortunate that they dangled a carrot then took it away but that isn't really a reason to mistrust the client. If they are a bit dodgy, better not to be permy anyway.
    This.

Annoying, yes. Lost trust? seems like an overreaction to me.

Unless your rate is so low, that you really are a temp wanting a permie job and your are on a permie salary equivalent contractor rate.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by oilyrag View Post
    My client offered me a permy gig at a rate equal to a lucrative contract. They said the position was mine, just needed to do the HR song and dance. Interviewers also had the same info as all said it was nailed on. I agreed the package with HR bod, and continued to get glowing reports from my stakeholders on my gig. Then out the blue I am told I don't have the perm role due to my salary requirements and one persons reservation if I would accept the perf review process, this one person being my future line manager. Now they want to offer a 3 month extension till Xmas and another contract in 2016. Problem is I no longer trust them, I suspect I will be replaced by the permy. Has anyone asked for future contracts to be signed now with cancellation clause's and payouts? Or should I just take the contract till Xmas and use the time to search for a new gig?
    I wouldn't see a problem with that. Just enjoy the rest of your contract, as you did before. Taking on a permy is fine as they would probably have done that anyway. Slightly unfortunate that they dangled a carrot then took it away but that isn't really a reason to mistrust the client. If they are a bit dodgy, better not to be permy anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Nice post. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie252
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Could be different over there but I can't imagine it is.
    The OP will be working for a Swiss employment agency (not his own Ltd or similar), local employment laws will apply, so very different to the UK.

I can't talk for the OP's contract, but I have a 30 Day enforceable notice period from both sides, so at least a buffer if I'm canned.

Early contracts?, I've just signed my 5th extension, getting towards the pointy end of delivery so my line manager arranged this 10 weeks in advance, but even so, HR wouldn't release the final contract until 1 month before the current contract expired. Good luck getting any company to agree to additional cancelation/termination fees.

OP, how long have you been in CH?, some companies have maximum 24 month tenure for contract positions, the company may be forced to convert the role to a perm position. I've avoided the situation by having a clear delivery date, sounds like the OP's situation is more open ended.

I'd avoid committing to any long-term expense in CH for now (like taking a property lease or block booking flights) until you see how things pan out

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    Saying that, a contractor got binned early here and they paid him 2 weeks 'notice'
    It happens. More the fool the client as they clearly don't understand how our contracts work. I'd be a little worried how clients view and treat contractors that do this by default but it may not be a problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X