• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asking client for work ..."

Collapse

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Contractors shouldn't be asking these questions.
    And agents shouldn't be answering them.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• supersteamer
    replied
    Doesn't matter what you think of it. It's what HMRC thinks of it and even I don't think this sounds ideal.
    True, but as we well know, what HMRC thinks of it and the practical realities are not always in alignment.

Unless you live next door to your client you can't reasonably go home at the drop of a hat when somebody else's input isn't forthcoming in a timely fashion (or, say, the client has network issues etc). It usually makes much more sense to sit in the office - in a catatonic state if you want - than spend all day roaring up and down the motorway at great expense every time you get a call that whatever you need to progress on your project is now available.

And if you are sitting in somebody's office in a catatonic state, you are not exactly enjoying free time, so it (at least should be) perfectly reasonable to bill them for it, especially if it's their staff causing the delay.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Its funny, I have contracted for 5 consultancies over the years. Four big ones and one slightly smaller. Normally they have you working like a dog, I certainly don't remember any time sitting idle.

It's what HMRC thinks of it and even I don't think this sounds ideal.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bozwell View Post
    I think of it like a retainer. While they are building a 20 strong project team it is unlikely they will have all the people in place on the same day but they don't want to risk losing the people they have already so they start paying them. I'm available if any pre-project tasks come up but I'm not going to sit and do nothing when there isn't. I certainly wasn't the only team member twiddling my thumbs for weeks.

It's history now anyway as I'm in the thick of it and those lazy days are but a distant memory.
    Doesn't matter what you think of it. It's what HMRC thinks of it and even I don't think this sounds ideal.

Leave a comment:

• Bozwell
    replied
    But there are still lines to be drawn even as a consultant. They call consultants in to fix problems or deliver to some area they are struggling with. Just to sit there and help them out with whatever pops up they can't deal with isn't really a consultant. It's a useful resource.
    I think of it like a retainer. While they are building a 20 strong project team it is unlikely they will have all the people in place on the same day but they don't want to risk losing the people they have already so they start paying them. I'm available if any pre-project tasks come up but I'm not going to sit and do nothing when there isn't. I certainly wasn't the only team member twiddling my thumbs for weeks.

It's history now anyway as I'm in the thick of it and those lazy days are but a distant memory.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I'm a consultant and the client are paying to have my knowledge on hand. It's often hard for a client to predict when they might need that knowledge and they won't get any if I'm not there to supply it. Maybe I should just sit in their office in a catatonic state until they need my expertise? Maybe you are in a role where effort can be measured by output in which case you *might* have a point.

The point is that the OP shouldn't get down because there is no work to do right now as at some point they'll probably be expecting 110% out of him. He just needs to keep looking busy in the meantime until he is required to jump into action. I certainly wouldn't be advising he goes home as many clients would see that negatively and get someone else more willing in to replace him.
    I don't really know how you differentiate yourself by calling yourself a "consultant", you are still a contractor like the rest of us.

Maybe I should just sit in their office in a catatonic state until they need my expertise?
    No, you should go home and not bill as you have nothing to do.

Maybe its just me, but I would suggest doing your companies website and admin etc. then billing the client for it is dishonest.
    I also hope you are declaring you are inside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• Yonmons
    replied
    As a contractor for the last 15 yrs I NEVER chase work when in a role, I am taken on to do a specific task, sometimes its very busy sometimes not, presently I am onsite listening to the Test match, and surfing here Fridays are lazy days for us. GO HOME NEVER ! Do the permies go home when its quiet ? I call it " Contractors Mindset"Dont take holidays when in contract, dont do sick....and that goes for most of the contractors I have worked with over the years.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'm a consultant and the client are paying to have my knowledge on hand. It's often hard for a client to predict when they might need that knowledge and they won't get any if I'm not there to supply it. Maybe I should just sit in their office in a catatonic state until they need my expertise? Maybe you are in a role where effort can be measured by output in which case you *might* have a point.

The point is that the OP shouldn't get down because there is no work to do right now as at some point they'll probably be expecting 110% out of him. He just needs to keep looking busy in the meantime until he is required to jump into action. I certainly wouldn't be advising he goes home as many clients would see that negatively and get someone else more willing in to replace him.
    But there are still lines to be drawn even as a consultant. They call consultants in to fix problems or deliver to some area they are struggling with. Just to sit there and help them out with whatever pops up they can't deal with isn't really a consultant. It's a useful resource.

Leave a comment:

• Bozwell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I'm not going to go home and not get paid just because the client are not organised to use my services
    I really don't know where to start

Fixed that for you:-
    just busied myself with tasks for myself (designed my company website, ltd co admin etc.) and carried on stealing.

Leave a comment:

• Bozwell
    replied
    When I started my current contract there was little for me to do for weeks as they had got me in before the project properly kicked off. Was so dull but I just busied myself with tasks for myself (designed my company website, ltd co admin etc.) and carried on billing. I'm not going to go home and not get paid just because the client are not organised to use my services and once the project got going I had plenty of work to do.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Ignore any twaddle about going home, that doesn't sound like "real world" advice to m
    I've actually gone home when there was no work for me to do.

I've also "gone home" when laptops haven't turned up on time. (I've actually gone shopping.)

I've worked from home when permies have annoyed me with their office habits e.g. trying to sit on top of me. Strangely they only try it once...

However if I'm new, have appropriate tools and actually have no work I create work for myself that helps my deliverables and this can include helping someone else.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Ignore any twaddle about going home, that doesn't sound like "real world" advice to me

When you get to know more stuff about how the company/department operates you'll be entrusted with more stuff. My suggestion would be to ask around your team in addition to the main client contact... ask what people are up to, if you can take any off their hands.

Make a spreadsheet to calculate how many days you've earnt

Sometimes it's easier for them for you to be on standby than for them to go through the whole hiring process every time something comes up, don't sweat it.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
    Recently started a new contract the work seems a little dry though and not much to do.
    I've sent an email ask if there is anything additional I can be doing but this only results in a days additional work ....
    Have you completed all work that has been outlined in your initial contract? If so then start looking for a new contract, internally and/or externally. Asking for work implies Direction and Control - as NLUK advised - which would put you firmly inside IR35 barring very exceptional circumstances.

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
    I'm resistant to move as this is my first contract and close to home.

Any ideas ?
    Welcome to the world of contracting. You can't be as choosy when you're contracting in terms of location - I've worked everything from 15 minutes from home to living away all week. It goes with the territory as the contract market fluctuates and depending on how much reserves you have to wait it out for the ideal contract offer.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    When? Big IF?

And I dont think OP mentioned his IR35 status did he? Correct me if Im wrong....
    He didn't but clearly show's he's new to contracting so pointing out this is something he should seriously consider and is the main reason he shouldn't go round doing this.

NLUK - thats a bit harsh. We see hundreds of posts on here where people moan about things being a bit slow.

And yes specific task, not bum on seat etc etc. In an ideal world....

If everyone bailed because of this, then 50% of contracts would go this way!
    It's not harsh. It's what should be done for a number of reasons. He's new so I'm happy to quote chapter and verse so he fully understands the situation. When he's got a grasp of it and can make an informed decision based on risks etc then he can do what he wants. He's not there yet so I certainly won't be advising he cuts corners and just do it, he might be ok when he doesn't fully understand what he's doing. He'll never learn and get in worse situations in the future. It's just my style and yes it makes me look like a pompus ass!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 31 July 2015, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X