• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When does a signed extension become binding?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by bathingape View Post
    I get that however unfortunately I don't know the full t's & c's of all the small print on my contract, which is why I leave that to the professionals when I get my contract reviewed.

This place would be dead if everyone knew everything about their contract. It seems people are ready to shoot others down in flames without really giving a reply. I know that you're guilty of that too :P ....however you do follow up with some sort of response
    You need to have a full understanding of the t&cs in your contract even if you don't remember the exact legal terminology. Not doing so and also not understanding basic contract law can land you in a heap of tulip.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I get that however unfortunately I don't know the full t's & c's of all the small print on my contract, which is why I leave that to the professionals when I get my contract reviewed.

This place would be dead if everyone knew everything about their contract. It seems people are ready to shoot others down in flames without really giving a reply. I know that you're guilty of that too :P ....however you do follow up with some sort of response
    It just seems strange that as well as not knowing what your contract contains and expecting others to know what's in it and what the ramifications are , you seem unable to open a dialogue with your agent/client to explain that you might need a couple of days off between so you can attend to some important matters. Instead you want to go full blown cancel without discussing it with the very people that matter.

It is so strange in fact that you should recognise that people will think there is a better contract on offer elsewhere even if there isn't.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied

""I get that however unfortunately I don't know the full t's & c's of all the small print on my contract which is why I leave that to the professionals when I get my contract reviewed."

Just as well there are clairvoyants in our number here!

Leave a comment:

• bathingape
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think what he is getting at is you are a CONTRACTor so kinda not knowing this kind of thing might seem, erm, a little odd...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    FFS what mate? It was a simple query. I bow to your superior knowledge.
    I think what he is getting at is you are a CONTRACTor so kinda not knowing this kind of thing might seem, erm, a little odd...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It's not really hard to find out about English and Welsh contract law.

Apart from housing where it's different, as soon as you clearly agree that you are going to be bound by a contract it's binding. Putting your signature on the paper is just a clear record of that agreement.

This is worth knowing because there are still some agents who think that if they send you a contract you agree to it, sign it and return it to them but they refuse to co-sign it the agency aren't bound by it. This is one of the legit reasons why lots of agencies don't send out the contract to the last minute. (There are obviously dubious ones such as not allowing you to have enough time to get it reviewed.)

Leave a comment:

• bathingape
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You signed the original contract before you started.. Same applies here.

I think a lot of people would be very hacked off if it wasn't binding until you started giving the agent time to replace you at the last minute for someone cheaper.

I think your ultimate intentions are also clouding your judgement. Not knowing when a contract is binding bearing in mind the number of contracts you agree to in your lifetime.
    Thanks for the response. I don't have any malicious intentions ie. ditching this gig in favour for a better one. I simply have some things going on in my personal life which need resolving sooner rather than later, which isn't possible to do whilst being away from home most of the week.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Oh FFS

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Just a quick question guys, can't find the answer I'm looking for through search so i'll try my luck here.

I'm basically in a 3 month gig at the moment which has been extended for another 3 mths. The current contract finishes Sunday 12th July and the extension starts Monday 13th. I've signed the extension however is that now binding immediately? Or does that take effect on the dates which are on the contract?

I'm basically on 4 weeks notice and would like to have a gentlemans discussion with my boss to bring that down to the end of my current contract before my extension kicks in.
    Oh FFS

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just a quick question guys, can't find the answer I'm looking for through search so i'll try my luck here.

I'm basically in a 3 month gig at the moment which has been extended for another 3 mths. The current contract finishes Sunday 12th July and the extension starts Monday 13th. I've signed the extension however is that now binding immediately? Or does that take effect on the dates which are on the contract?

I'm basically on 4 weeks notice and would like to have a gentlemans discussion with my boss to bring that down to the end of my current contract before my extension kicks in.
    You signed the original contract before you started.. Same applies here.

I think a lot of people would be very hacked off if it wasn't binding until you started giving the agent time to replace you at the last minute for someone cheaper.

I think your ultimate intentions are also clouding your judgement. Not knowing when a contract is binding bearing in mind the number of contracts you agree to in your lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It's binding as soon as you agree.

Leave a comment:

• bathingape
    started a topic When does a signed extension become binding?

When does a signed extension become binding?

Last edited by bathingape; 23 June 2015, 17:31.

Working...
X