• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much info should you put on your LinkedIn profile?"

Collapse

• Steelman
    replied
    I concur

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    I never put my current gig on my Linkedin Profile, always add it after I have left, same for any current connections to a gig I am currently in.
    Me too. But also to prevent my crazy ex from tracking me down

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why not go to the webinar tonight and see what they talk about?

I did the IPSE one a while back and am slowly trying to find the effort to update my CV and LinkedIn a bit more. My LinkedIn was a copy of my CV (which used to throw me when agents would contact me on LinkedIn and ask if I had a CV) but it's changing a bit now to include different things / different style.

One thing I've started to do more is include separate projects on LinkedIn where you can flag who you worked with and give a project description - probably more relevant if you were the project manager / architect than if you were the tea boy, but it might make a difference.
    A bit disapoointed with that advice TBH. 'Make it more chatty' isn't really going to cut it (I did recommend the £24.99 pack to someone yesterday though).

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Why's that?
    Because I might build relationships within the role with people outside of the client and adding these connections I think may compromise my role to a degree. Also got a nutty ex girlfriend that I dont want waiting outside of work for me whilst at a client site.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I never put my current gig on my Linkedin Profile, always add it after I have left, same for any current connections to a gig I am currently in.
    Why's that?

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterP0 View Post
    Hi Boney, I've asked this same question on another thread, I think you can only filter by "Contract"/Job Type if you've got a subscription.

When searching on LinkedIn I tend to put "Contract" in keywords sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
    Thanks for that, I do get some up if I put contract oin the keyword search and thats what I tend to do, might have to go premium then

Leave a comment:

• MasterP0
    replied

On a side note anyone else noticed any job searches on Linkedin are all seem to be for permie roles? Cannot seem to get up a extensive list of contracts or filter them out from a normal search
    Hi Boney, I've asked this same question on another thread, I think you can only filter by "Contract"/Job Type if you've got a subscription.

When searching on LinkedIn I tend to put "Contract" in keywords sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied

Mine is pretty much a carbon copy of my CV but with more detail. I notice a lot of agencies dont bother with refs now I have a lot of recommendations.

On a side note anyone else noticed any job searches on Linkedin are all seem to be for permie roles? Cannot seem to get up a extensive list of contracts or filter them out from a normal search

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Ive seen some people put stuff like 'Im eagerly looking for my next exciting and challenging contract from (date)' or 'I run to fires' etc, etc.

So I added a line to mine 'Do you have a dull, boring, over budget project that's lacking organisation? if so, give me a call or mail me at ........'

My in box is overflowing and Ive had to divert all calls to VM!
    Taken from here per chance?

Actors read out quotations from real CVs uploaded to LinkedIn | Daily Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Ive seen some people put stuff like 'Im eagerly looking for my next exciting and challenging contract from (date)' or 'I run to fires' etc, etc.

So I added a line to mine 'Do you have a dull, boring, over budget project that's lacking organisation? if so, give me a call or mail me at ........'

I'm not sure if that's true but I'm seriously considering applying the same technique to mine!

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Anyone else on the webinar?
    Other thread

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    TheFaqqer sent me a link to the previous IPSE one....

Oh and check your phone.....

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No he had it on all the time. We asked him why and told him that doesn't look good but he was adamant it was a good idea. Just looked now as it happens and it's not on anymore. Lesson learned it seems.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Seen that happen. Guy I used to work with always left looking for opportunities in his linked in just in case something better came up. Consultancy noticed and his status with them dropped like a rock. Just treated him like a body rather than valued resource and was the first out when a contractor cull happened. Very stupid thing to do IMO..

I've not had enough work through linkedin in to risk ruining relationships with clients TBH.
    Was this just near the end of permanently?
    I see nothing wrong with putting a theoretical available from x date 3/4 weeks before the end unless extension is already sorted.

I would be a bit put out if a client expected me not to look because they expected me to wait down to the wire and automatically accept any last min extension. There are some like that.

Fortunately, current client sorts out extensions well far in advance. Works for them because then I have no chance to see something else lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X