• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the contract market - Post Election"

Collapse

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Yep, very, very quiet. Like 2009 all over again from where I'm stood.

Ok, I'm a Microsoft stack developer & apparently I need to reskill;

Another thing is that I used to rely on quite a bit of repeat business from 2 big companies - both of which are now using onshored "consultants" in preference to contractors.

The other thing I've noticed is how many of these folks who were once "onshored resources" now have leave to remain & are operating through their own limiteds. Just an observation.

(though interestingly, whenever I ask them, they always seem to be using the Ltd of a "friend" - not sure what the schizzle is there)

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    We've now moved from election uncertainty to "Brexit" uncertainty.

http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10846293/Scotland-and-Brexit-vote-could-reshape-UK-economy.html
    (from last year but is particularly relevant now the Conservatives have a majority).

If the UK votes no then there will be uncertainty until the government has negotiated a new deal with the EU and Scotland has gone through a second independence referendum.

...but once that's been sorted out the spending plans should be approved.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 May 2015, 07:06.

Leave a comment:

• raphal
    replied
    projects at my client offshoring, many permies moving out.. is recession around the corner ?? my contract intact though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What? Welsh numbering systems??
    Welsh numbering system would be OK.

It's the Welsh lllettering that you need to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I'm using a Welsh numbering system.
    Could be worse you could be reliant on Welsh swear words

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Well if employers paid enough they wouldn't be. Less than 30k for a senior dev (fantastic opportunity according to pimp), I'd rather be flipping burgers on minimum wage...
    Right, well it was in answer to the question regarding which skills are in demand. Seems like a logical place to start.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    ie

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    This is coming - it should be no surprise.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'd argue that's a bag of poop and if it was then we would be looking at the start of the end of contracting. It will get to the point it's the defacto method to get IT work done in which case A) HMRC will put a lot more effort into nailing us A) rates will tumble B) we will just start getting treated like permies with no more special requirements and D) I'm using a Welsh numbering system.
    This is coming - it should be no surprise.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I'm using a Welsh numbering system

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Oh yeah and F) all those ******* moron permies people like to moan about will be moron contractors instead... Although I fear that horse might have already bolted.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    That's bcause the perm salaries are dropping rapidly so anyone decent with the balls/brains goes contracting instead of becoming part of their bosses bonus pool ponzi scheme
    I'd argue that's a bag of poop and if it was then we would be looking at the start of the end of contracting. It will get to the point it's the defacto method to get IT work done in which case A) HMRC will put a lot more effort into nailing us A) rates will tumble B) we will just start getting treated like permies with no more special requirements and D) I'm using a Welsh numbering system.

I for one am very glad people are happy to be permie and wish more would stay there.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    That's bcause the perm salaries are dropping rapidly so anyone decent with the balls/brains goes contracting instead of becoming part of their bosses bonus pool ponzi scheme

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Well if employers paid enough they wouldn't be. Less than 30k for a senior dev (fantastic opportunity according to pimp), I'd rather be flipping burgers on minimum wage...

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Half as many IT contractor skills are scarce, say recruiters :: Contractor UK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X