• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV Review services

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV Review services"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LardOrSteel View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Will have to check out those webinars.

I've just had one review back from one of the free services. Quite generic responses really. Scored about 50% on content and layout. Having a look at the CV writing section on this site seems to be more useful though.
    The people reviewing the CV are extremely unlikely to work in your field let alone IT. You can get more useful advice from an agent who works in your field.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    CV Review services

I had a bad experience of them. I went with a w we.thefullercv.com - Fuller CV and they were expensive, unprofessional and very poor.

Avoid at all costs.

Leave a comment:

• LardOrSteel
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. Will have to check out those webinars.

I've just had one review back from one of the free services. Quite generic responses really. Scored about 50% on content and layout. Having a look at the CV writing section on this site seems to be more useful though.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Fifer72 View Post
    Thanks for the advice SueEllen - I'll try that although I was at my last place 18 years so might struggle but its worth a go
    Split it up on a project by project basis if that's possible, with bold header and dates against each chunk, select the more marketable ones if there are loads of them.

Leave a comment:

• Fifer72
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The reason you haven't secured a second contract is that you aren't seen by agencies as an experienced enough contractor.

If they have you and someone who has clearly a few contracts under their belt they put the other person forward.

One trick is to write your permanent work so it looks more like contracts. This is easier to do if you didn't spend over 3 years at your last permanent workplace.
    Thanks for the advice SueEllen - I'll try that although I was at my last place 18 years so might struggle but its worth a go

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I'm sure it can't do any harm, but IMHO it depends what you do and who's reading your CV, if its technically literate people looking for specific skills then I think you'd be better talking to an experienced agent or a techy manager who looks at a lot of CVs. That CV is about packing in your buzz words and experience as quickly and neatly as possible, and that CV probably breaks some of the generic rules. I'm getting quite a few LinkedIn emails from agents and end clients with genuine jobs just because I've updated my buzzwords, and their searches are picking it up. If you are dealing with non techie managers and HR people then its possibly a different ball game and maybe the review could be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I did the full £270 package (there's a discount if you attend the webinar) which did indeed include a 2 hour interview, 1hr prep session, rewrite (draft and final) of my CV and LinkedIn profile.

Got some reasonable interest off the back of it too. Then I got my contract renewed anyway.

Do it, pay for it off the company account (marketing costs) and tuck it away for when it's needed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Have to agree with Cojak and SueEllen the Web session were useful but don't think its worth the expense (note I reserve the right to be completely 2 faced and change my mind if I don't secure a 2nd contract soon)
    The reason you haven't secured a second contract is that you aren't seen by agencies as an experienced enough contractor.

If they have you and someone who has clearly a few contracts under their belt they put the other person forward.

One trick is to write your permanent work so it looks more like contracts. This is easier to do if you didn't spend over 3 years at your last permanent workplace.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I paid the £30 for the templates, slides, advice and a quick review, although they haven't been in touch for the review yet.

I'll have a crack at rewriting it at some stage and then they can review it...
    The reviews are VERY generic.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Have to agree with Cojak and SueEllen the Web session were useful but don't think its worth the expense (note I reserve the right to be completely 2 faced and change my mind if I don't secure a 2nd contract soon)
    I paid the £30 for the templates, slides, advice and a quick review, although they haven't been in touch for the review yet.

I'll have a crack at rewriting it at some stage and then they can review it...

Leave a comment:

• Fifer72
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You are better of getting someone on here who recruits other contractors in your field to go through your CV.

It's cheaper plus you know actually what is expected of you. For example writing a CV in the third person annoys a lot of people. I have an issue with repetition (or copy and paste). etc

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I did one of IPSE's webinars which was run by these guys CV Writing Services | CV Services - there was some great advice. Not sure if the webinars are available to non-members.

It almost convinced me it was worth forking out for - and I may still do so if I have trouble securing a new gig.
    I had a look, I don't see the point of the basic CV service (those contracts keep coming in), and I think that £299 is a bit steep for the Professional service.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I did one of IPSE's webinars which was run by these guys CV Writing Services | CV Services - there was some great advice. Not sure if the webinars are available to non-members.

It almost convinced me it was worth forking out for - and I may still do so if I have trouble securing a new gig.
    And if you do the webinar (and there are a few every so often), they give you a discount on the rewrite.

I did the LinkedIn webinar, which was interesting and made me think about changing things around on both my CV and my LinkedIn profile.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X