• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "perm to contract - IR35 and stuff"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I'm glad that has been pointed out because I hadn't really thought about it. But for the amount of money involved ( if I got nailed ) its not worth paying for legal advice, I'd just pay up. Its factored into the equation and the ultimate decision. 2 or 3 weeks into a contract and that potential liability is covered. The main motivation behind staying on is cushiness rather than financial.
    If you're still going through the redundancy, ring ACAS. They give helpful free advice (not sure on IR35, but definitely on all matters redundancy).

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Any sources on that? Sounds interesting, as that is its actual purpose in the end.
    He may have said that, although I don't recall it, but it wasn't the purpose, it was the understandable soundbite that went along with it. If the motivation were that simple, they'd simply legislate for this scenario. Rather, as HMRC argue themselves, it's the exchequer protection and deterrent effect of IR35 that matters, and this relies on the combination of a large number of tax payers within remit and FUD.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That's the bit that would worry me - how can you be redundant if the role still exists for you to do as a contractor? If that's the case, then your redundancy payment isn't valid and would need to be taxed.

I'd be very wary of this and would talk to a professional employment lawyer about your rights here.
    I'm glad that has been pointed out because I hadn't really thought about it. But for the amount of money involved ( if I got nailed ) its not worth paying for legal advice, I'd just pay up. Its factored into the equation and the ultimate decision. 2 or 3 weeks into a contract and that potential liability is covered. The main motivation behind staying on is cushiness rather than financial.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Outsourced but no TUPE option and now your ex-employer wants to keep you on? Seems you're not the only one that doesn't follow the rules: you should have had first dibs on your role regardless of who was paying the bills: apart from anything else, any redundancy money you got will be taxed at 40% if you are still fulfilling essentially the same role.
    That's the bit that would worry me - how can you be redundant if the role still exists for you to do as a contractor? If that's the case, then your redundancy payment isn't valid and would need to be taxed.

I'd be very wary of this and would talk to a professional employment lawyer about your rights here.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    As for precedent, how about Osborne saying categorically that IR35 is being retained purely in order to deter the F2M scenario and allowing permies to move to pseudo contracts to avoid taxation.
    Any sources on that? Sounds interesting, as that is its actual purpose in the end.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    re. my fulltime 5 day a week job disappeared due to an outsourcing deal , and the TUPE issue, what I said earlier in bold ( partly in jest ) is not strictly true, I have worked almost exclusively on projects and not on post go live support. And in theory the projects are done, that is how they got around the TUPE issue. Reality is there are lots of bits to tidy up that won't be part of the outsourcing support deal.

Thanks for all the input, I'm on dodgy ground as I suspected, but on the other hand I believe highly unlikely to get nabbed if I risk it. My previous approach to IR35 was not to get too exposed on any one contract, and I'd probably follow that rule here by not staying forever. I think my only defence if I did get investigated would be a genuine lack of MOO, which is a complete change in the working practice. I'm sure cases have been won on that point alone in the past, but I'm no expert. On googling, the rulings and explanations of cases won by HMRC seem to be old ones I'm familiar with, so it would be interesting to know how many cases HMRC have won in recent times !?

I'll see how things pan out, some juggling and negotiating to do yet. I've been doing my sums and one approach is to go lowish salary and high pension contributions and eekmad declare myself inside IR35. I can't find the 'Blow Your Brains Out' smilie, is it no longer around.

ps. what happened to Wilmslow, and the Russian bloke who's name escapes me ?
    is still around. Wilmslow rebranded but doesn't post much these days, and AtW is still in his bedsit above the kebab shop waiting for his sofa to be delivered.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    re. my fulltime 5 day a week job disappeared due to an outsourcing deal , and the TUPE issue, what I said earlier in bold ( partly in jest ) is not strictly true, I have worked almost exclusively on projects and not on post go live support. And in theory the projects are done, that is how they got around the TUPE issue. Reality is there are lots of bits to tidy up that won't be part of the outsourcing support deal.

Thanks for all the input, I'm on dodgy ground as I suspected, but on the other hand I believe highly unlikely to get nabbed if I risk it. My previous approach to IR35 was not to get too exposed on any one contract, and I'd probably follow that rule here by not staying forever. I think my only defence if I did get investigated would be a genuine lack of MOO, which is a complete change in the working practice. I'm sure cases have been won on that point alone in the past, but I'm no expert. On googling, the rulings and explanations of cases won by HMRC seem to be old ones I'm familiar with, so it would be interesting to know how many cases HMRC have won in recent times !?

I'll see how things pan out, some juggling and negotiating to do yet. I've been doing my sums and one approach is to go lowish salary and high pension contributions and eekmad declare myself inside IR35. I can't find the 'Blow Your Brains Out' smilie, is it no longer around.

ps. what happened to Wilmslow, and the Russian bloke who's name escapes me ?
    Last edited by rootsnall; 10 May 2015, 19:11.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by TheCoconutDog View Post
    What if you're doing the "same things" but with different working practices? I.e different contract and (demonstrably) different working practices ?
    When deciding IR35 status against F2M (See Malvolio's post where he quoted Osborne) it is quite simply a question of 'were you a programmer last week and are you a programmer this week?'

HMRC would not care whether you walked to work last week and drove this week, worked in Salford last week and Bolton this week or whether you used left handed spanners last week and right handed spanners this week.

Google up on F2M and you will find lots of answers.

I can't believe I forgot it but Malvolio is absolutely right about TUPE.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    So... Maybe, the OP could "go for it". Hope for the best bur make provisions for the worst and take appropriate steps to ensure the best outcome should Hector "scratch and sniff"
    The only circumstances under which I would advise the OP to proceed would be to have a professional review of the contract, together with an explanation of how their working practices will change. Most likely, this review will indicate that the contract is caught (based on the information provided here), in which case they would be risking tax, interest, and penalties in proceeding.

Leave a comment:

• TheCoconutDog
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Certainly, there could be a difference between what HMRC argues initially and what the case law supports following investigation. The real question is whether the previous working relationship undermines the reality of all three of MoO, unfettered RoS and lack of D&C as being a sham. If one or more of these things are demonstrably not a sham because the working relationship changed materially and for legitimate reasons (i.e. the change was not motivated by tax), then the working practices are not indicative of disguised employment. Again, there's nothing within the legislation that specifically points to this scenario as being caught, but the context will make it more difficult to argue the case (which is why it's perceived as a good risk indicator). If the contract and working practices are reviewed and perceived to be outside, then it's fine to work on that basis (and collate supporting evidence).
    So... Maybe, the OP could "go for it". Hope for the best bur make provisions for the worst and take appropriate steps to ensure the best outcome should Hector "scratch and sniff"

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    What if you're doing the "same things" but with different working practices? I.e different contract and (demonstrably) different working practices ?
    Certainly, there could be a difference between what HMRC argues initially and what the case law supports following investigation. The real question is whether the previous working relationship undermines the reality of all three of MoO, unfettered RoS and lack of D&C as being a sham. If one or more of these things are demonstrably not a sham because the working relationship changed materially and for legitimate reasons (i.e. the change was not motivated by tax), then the working practices are not indicative of disguised employment. Again, there's nothing within the legislation that specifically points to this scenario as being caught, but the context will make it more difficult to argue the case (which is why it's perceived as a good risk indicator). If the contract and working practices are reviewed and perceived to be outside, then it's fine to work on that basis (and collate supporting evidence).

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I think I agree with you BUT has there ever been any rulings to confirm that. I don't remember any specific rulings to that effect when I used to follow these things. I could put in a decent argument to say I'm not doing the same role, my fulltime 5 day a week job disappeared due to an outsourcing deal

If it was only one lot of 12% then I wouldn't be that fussed, but 2 lots
    Outsourced but no TUPE option and now your ex-employer wants to keep you on? Seems you're not the only one that doesn't follow the rules: you should have had first dibs on your role regardless of who was paying the bills: apart from anything else, any redundancy money you got will be taxed at 40% if you are still fulfilling essentially the same role.

As for precedent, how about Osborne saying categorically that IR35 is being retained purely in order to deter the F2M scenario and allowing permies to move to pseudo contracts to avoid taxation. Not saying that's where you are, but the same rule will apply.

Leave a comment:

• TheCoconutDog
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    You only have to ask yourself one question....Are you going to be doing the same things next week as last?

It matters not if you will be doing some other things as well or you will be doing less of those things. If they are the same things, HMRC will say you are caught. You could chance it, you may never get investigated, but if you do, it is not about 'decent arguments' it is about facts.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I think I agree with you BUT has there ever been any rulings to confirm that. I don't remember any specific rulings to that effect when I used to follow these things. I could put in a decent argument to say I'm not doing the same role, my fulltime 5 day a week job disappeared due to an outsourcing deal

If it was only one lot of 12% then I wouldn't be that fussed, but 2 lots
    You only have to ask yourself one question....Are you going to be doing the same things next week as last?

It matters not if you will be doing some other things as well or you will be doing less of those things. If they are the same things, HMRC will say you are caught. You could chance it, you may never get investigated, but if you do, it is not about 'decent arguments' it is about facts.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    If you enter the discount code ARM you get 15% off too:

Join the IPSE | ARM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X