• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor going permie, advice please?"

Collapse

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Twice the money and no PDR tulip, who wouldn't want to contract?
    Because you might never get a contract again? For example, skills are out of date or not in demand, or contract location doesn't suit etc.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Perm - Are you f***ing joking ? if I didn't know I only had 10 weeks left here I would top myself now !!
    Yeh I agree. Dont think my head could cope with the thought that as permie you're in employment here forever.

No matter how bad a contract gets you can always see an end date. I also calculate how my warchest will look by X date to see when I can afford not to renew if I feel like.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Twice the money and no PDR tulip, who wouldn't want to contract?

Leave a comment:

• Avalonia
    replied
    Perm - Are you f***ing joking ?
    Exactly, I sometimes think I should go perm again and then you realise how awful and soul destroying that would be and think f**k that

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Perm - Are you f***ing joking ? if I didn't know I only had 10 weeks left here I would top myself now !!

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post

Mindreader!!

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    My best redundancy was place I was at for just over a year. I think the year matters lol.

Called in to mtg with director and HR. Told I'd had complaints about me from customers. They ran through a few which were bollacks to be honest. Ended up with them telling me sign agreement to leave with months pay or get suspended.

I was beginning to wonder I must admit. Turned out they did same to 5 other people that day.

Must have spent ages digging dirt on everyone. Wasnt that bad either - I'd done much worse lol.

In the end, took legal advice and they said you aint gonna get much more so dont bother. So I took the month.

Makes you realise though how little rights you have and how little payout you will get if employer wants you gone.
    How do you manage to turn a thread about redundancy into yet another sob story where everyone is wrong except for you. Unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I was made redundant a couple of times when I was permie. The first time was for a massive US company, and it was handled pretty well - lots of notice, a very good package, help with CV prep, interview skills, job fairs, etc.
    The last time was with a very small company, 11 months after joining, and consisted of me going in one day and being told I may as well go home, but leave my laptop behind and that although they didn't owe me anything as it was only 11 months in they'd give me a weeks pay as goodwill.

With contracting at least I know each place I go is temporary, rather than it being a surprise. Each place I go I make some new friends, but I can't stay too long - I just turn around and I'm gone again. Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down, but until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.
    My best redundancy was place I was at for just over a year. I think the year matters lol.

Called in to mtg with director and HR. Told I'd had complaints about me from customers. They ran through a few which were bollacks to be honest. Ended up with them telling me sign agreement to leave with months pay or get suspended.

I was beginning to wonder I must admit. Turned out they did same to 5 other people that day.

Must have spent ages digging dirt on everyone. Wasnt that bad either - I'd done much worse lol.

In the end, took legal advice and they said you aint gonna get much more so dont bother. So I took the month.

Makes you realise though how little rights you have and how little payout you will get if employer wants you gone.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You caught me...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I was made redundant a couple of times when I was permie. The first time was for a massive US company, and it was handled pretty well - lots of notice, a very good package, help with CV prep, interview skills, job fairs, etc.
    The last time was with a very small company, 11 months after joining, and consisted of me going in one day and being told I may as well go home, but leave my laptop behind and that although they didn't owe me anything as it was only 11 months in they'd give me a weeks pay as goodwill.

With contracting at least I know each place I go is temporary, rather than it being a surprise. Each place I go I make some new friends, but I can't stay too long - I just turn around and I'm gone again. Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down, but until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    What does this even mean nowadays? When talking about job security, permies and contractors we're all in the same boat.
    Yep, have been for a long time, just seen NLUK reply, I've never felt more secure than when contracting.
    Last edited by gables; 29 April 2015, 13:37. Reason: update

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    What does this even mean nowadays? When talking about job security, permies and contractors we're all in the same boat.
    Hmm. Not sure. I've never felt as secure in my job as I do now, even when I was a permie in an IT consultancy in the boom times.

But do see what you are alluding to.

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    ...in this economic climate?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X