• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it unusual to ask for notice period in a contract for supplier to leave earlier?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY
    +1. I wonder why people bother to ask questions when they ignore 10 posts all saying the same and just pick the one they want to hear.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ltd View Post
    Quite opposite - he told me exactly what I wanted to hear, unlike the realists among you
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And there's MOO to consider. If the project that you were brought in to work on gets canned you can leave 10 minutes after the announcement email (though I did stay to the end of the week while I informed people).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No - it has zero days notice.

No notice means you can't terminate early.
    Not true.

For example if there is a dispute clause in the contract, you are in dispute and the dispute cannot be resolved both parties can agree to terminate the contract.

However you can't just leave the contract for no good reason.

Leave a comment:

• Ltd
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Congratulations you've managed to make less sense than the OPs original post!
    Quite opposite - this was one of few sensible replies which some members of this forum would struggle to provide.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Hey ignore some of these lot. I see no reason why a notice period in a contract is not better for you. (although there are some thoughts that IR35 may become an issue with a notice period).

Ignore people who say you cant give notice - its crap. If its in the contract you can do it.

Saying that, it can annoy people so whereas I am saying its ok, its not best to do all the time. i.e. dont ditch one contract after 2 weeks for one paying £10 more then do the same thing two weeks later - it looks bad.

Anyone who says they wouldnt even think about giving notice for a good gig (if they could) for £100 more per day, 50 miles closer to home is a liar.

Then again I will agree that trying to get a notice period in may be difficult. It is going to put some clients off because they will wonder why.

In the past, I've had gigs where I've been surprised where it was one week, ok a bonus (this was crap rate and client guy said look get something else I know the score!). Current one is no notice but 1 week for them. Would rather have notice but gig is good and it was non-negotiable.

Sometimes you get one sometimes you dont. Its up to you. If you feel no notice period is not right then dont accept gig - its a balance.
    Congratulations you've managed to make less sense than the OPs original post!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    For some reason in my next contract I would prefer to have a 7 days notice period for me to leave the gig. How achievable is that?
    And the other way round, how unusual is to insist on non-zero notice period for a client to stop the contract?
    Hey ignore some of these lot. I see no reason why a notice period in a contract is not better for you. (although there are some thoughts that IR35 may become an issue with a notice period).

Ignore people who say you cant give notice - its crap. If its in the contract you can do it.

Saying that, it can annoy people so whereas I am saying its ok, its not best to do all the time. i.e. dont ditch one contract after 2 weeks for one paying £10 more then do the same thing two weeks later - it looks bad.

Anyone who says they wouldnt even think about giving notice for a good gig (if they could) for £100 more per day, 50 miles closer to home is a liar.

Then again I will agree that trying to get a notice period in may be difficult. It is going to put some clients off because they will wonder why.

In the past, I've had gigs where I've been surprised where it was one week, ok a bonus (this was crap rate and client guy said look get something else I know the score!). Current one is no notice but 1 week for them. Would rather have notice but gig is good and it was non-negotiable.

Sometimes you get one sometimes you dont. Its up to you. If you feel no notice period is not right then dont accept gig - its a balance.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Dear SlipTheJab, would you mind reading carefully what is said in my signature. Please do me a favour - ignore all my existing and future posts. Thank you.

Job done :thumbs:

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Post some serious questions you've made half an effort to research and understand first then...
    Amen to that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    My current contract has no notice at all either way. Worked out well as I told them I'm leaving last week. I am giving them a week to be nice.
    And are they going to waive the breach of contract and damages incurred to be nice

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Dear SlipTheJab, would you mind reading carefully what is said in my signature. Please do me a favour - ignore all my existing and future posts. Thank you.
    Post some serious questions you've made half an effort to research and understand first then...

Leave a comment:

• Ltd
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    The OP is so NCOTBAC, posting history is one long car crash!

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    For some reason in my next contract I would prefer to have a 7 days notice period for me to leave the gig. How achievable is that?
    And the other way round, how unusual is to insist on non-zero notice period for a client to stop the contract?
    The OP is so NCOTBAC, posting history is one long car crash!

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Yeah, no notice suggests to me that you must otherwise complete the term offered

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    My current contract has no notice at all either way. Worked out well as I told them I'm leaving last week. I am giving them a week to be nice.
    No - it has zero days notice.

No notice means you can't terminate early.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X