• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Initial question about daily rate"

Collapse

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    It implies to me that the agency can make a bigger margin
    They only get a bigger margin if I land the contract. And if I land it then I couldn't care less how much the agent is making.

Some are on fixed margins - but of course I don't always know that. Some I've worked with before I do.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    This is the game.

You want as much as you can get.

The agent wants to pay as little as he can.

Whether you get the interview will depend on what other candidates are available, at what rate, and by some deadline the agent gives himself to submit to client.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    True, I'm betting the client isn't getting you any cheaper, that £100 a day will be going into the agents porsche fund:-)

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Agents often tell me what they willing to pay up to, and then ask me what I'd like to set my rate at when they put me forward.

That implies, to me, that there is an opportunity to choose how competitive I want to be. Today I set my rate at £100 a day less than the agent said the offer rate was - because it was an environment I'd quite like to work in, for a particular reason. I made sure the agent understood that too.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Agents often tell me what they willing to pay up to, and then ask me what I'd like to set my rate at when they put me forward.

That implies, to me, that there is an opportunity to choose how competitive I want to be. Today I set my rate at £100 a day less than the agent said the offer rate was - because it was an environment I'd quite like to work in, for a particular reason. I made sure the agent understood that too.

For me if the role is good (as much as its possible to tell before you actually turn up) and I think i can save some hassle by being competitive then it's worth it to save the hassle of hunting around too much.

I'm like the Malibu man - seriously easy goin'. I'd rather just walk straight from one gig into another with as few interviews as possible.

Leave a comment:

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by chris6220 View Post
    he asks me about the rate I'm looking for and I gave him a top-end bracket, let's say 550 to 600 per day. Then the guy sends me a job spec that says 650.
    Something similar happened to me. I said X and the agent sent me for X+50.

Is this a clue that the agency works on a % basis instead of a cut basis?

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Take what you can, give nothing back

Leave a comment:

• Avalonia
    replied
    400 do I hear 400,
    400 400 400
    400 thank you sir
    450 450 450 450 450 450
    thank you
    500 500 500 500 500 500
    500 thank you
    600 600 600

A million

Leave a comment:

• chris6220
    replied
    Definitely makes sense, thanks you.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Stick with your rate.

This is not trade union Britain with a rate for the job. If you're not on 650 to begin with you're probably not worth 650, well not yet.

650 means perfect for the contract.

Often the top rate they advertise isn't on offer, not really, they just "say it" to get the CVs in.

You're worth 650 when there are three agencies chasing you and one of them says "what about 650" then ?"

Leave a comment:

• chris6220
    replied
    Yes definitely agree with that, I'm interested in getting a first contract and start working, to be honest with 500 a day I'd be plenty happy. Let's see if an interview materializes... Fingers crossed.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Don't focus on rate get the role the client will offer what they think you are worth the agent will pass most of that on. £50 a day for instance is £1k a month cheaper to the end client + agency commission. Just say rate is negotiable but as the agent put the rate on the jobspec he is probably on a % of it so the more he gets the more you get but your not the only person applying for the role & the client will usually be on the ball & are not going to offer the top rate to someone who is new to contracting do not be surprised if they only want to offer you lower rates until your an established contractor.

Even £450-500 a day is a lot of money you are unlikely to get £650 a day if your new to contracting unless you have niche tech skills & amazing interpersonal skills to go with it. A lot of the time the high rate is just an on paper amount to attract the maximum response yet another underhand tactic agents use all the time!

Leave a comment:

• chris6220
    replied
    Hi all,

thanks a lot for the insightful responses. In the meantime I guess I've got part of the answer I was after as the agent promptly resent me the job spec, having cleverly changed 650 to 550 in it :-/ So I guess this means he wouldn't mind pocketing the (sizable) difference :-)

Originally posted by gables View Post
    now whether I'm capable of a 650/day role is a different question ;-)
    That's a very good question indeed. To be honest that kind of roles make me a bit nervous, as in, will silly me be up to their expectations, or what kind of pressure will I be under with such a rate... On the other hands two different agencies did contact me for the role so I guess at least on paper I look like a good match. The only way to know for sure I guess is during a face-to-face interview.

Thanks,
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by chris6220 View Post
    Hi there,

sorry if my question if well known, I'm quite new to contracting and not yet fully aware of negotiation. Recently an agent called me out of the blue to discuss my profile, during the conversation he asks me about the rate I'm looking for and I gave him a top-end bracket, let's say 550 to 600 per day. Then the guy sends me a job spec that says 650. What happens now? Should I still try for the top rate, or stick to what I believe I'm "worth" (very subjective I know). Is the agent going to "forget" what I said? Should I have tried to elude the question altogether, but I guess the agent still needs an idea of where you're at?

Thanks for the insight,
    Chris
    Maybe I'm being a pedant, I don't think about the rate in terms of what I'm worth, but in terms of what the role is worth i.e. what is required. A 650/day role should be 650/day (give or take a bit) - now whether I'm capable of a 650/day role is a different question ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    The risk is always when the agent is on a fixed % and you go for the top rate, the end client might find someone suitable somewhere else for a much lower rate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X