• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asking for a rate increase on contract extension?"

Collapse

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Agencies will pull all sorts of tricks.

I had it once. Knew the agency was on an excessive margin. Tried to get an increase out of this etc. Discussed that I knew the score and that lets get this sorted but leave client out of it.

So what did agent do? Go straight to client and tell them I'd told them raise or Im off. Of course, client already paying well over the odds due to agency huge margin just thinks - greedy bugger.
    That's why I go straight to the client (certainly in this instance, appreciate not necessarily in all instances).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    Try getting one from capita, like blood from a stone, a very slow rolling stone that doesn't reply to emails.
    I thought capita were on fixed margins?

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    Try getting one from capita, like blood from a stone, a very slow rolling stone that doesn't reply to emails.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    IMHO 99% of clients will never pay for an increase. Rate at the start is rate forever in their heads.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Agencies will pull all sorts of tricks.

I had it once. Knew the agency was on an excessive margin. Tried to get an increase out of this etc. Discussed that I knew the score and that lets get this sorted but leave client out of it.

So what did agent do? Go straight to client and tell them I'd told them raise or Im off. Of course, client already paying well over the odds due to agency huge margin just thinks - greedy bugger.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    IMO using the knowledge you have gained at the clients as a reason for a rise is bad form. That's what you were brought in to so taking them over a barrel just because you carried out your duties doesn't sit right with me.
    ^ This.

Ignoring any agent margin (mine are on a low fixed rate anyway) IMRE, the client will only pay what they consider to be a reasonable rate for the work, but in some cases are prepared to compensate this by offering longer extension periods (i.e. instead of another 3 months, for example, they might offer a 6 monther [yeah we all know the contract length is only as good as its notice period, but they don't get this]), and are not interested in what the market rate indicators might tell anyone...these are a bit like share prices & have a habit of fluctuating +/- so using these as part of any justification is not a great idea...

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Interestingly I found out our agent here has been asking for rate increases to the end client and not passing them on.

Naughty naughty

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Ask the agency not the client to avoid upsetting them but be aware whatever you do they are 100s of capable contractors out there right now so do not overplay your hand!

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I did this today funnily enough - told clientco I would like extension at renewal next month (with valid reasons why), stressing that I won't walk if they so no, but would like them to see what they can do.

Have successfully tried this approach before and works better than the "take it or leave it" approach.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    5% of sod all is still sod all. Why not do it in pounds instead?

Be prepared to walk though. Agents do this day in day out so they can spot a Chancer a mile off. IMO using the knowledge you have gained at the clients as a reason for a rise is bad form. That's what you were brought in to so taking them over a barrel just because you carried out your duties doesn't sit right with me.

Do you know how much they agent is taking? Have you asked him if he is on a fixed margin yet?

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    My contract extension is coming up in a month or so.
    This has already been approved by the end client so happy times.
    I know that the agency is enjoying milking a healthy margin off the top across not just my role but also many others.
    I am nearly convinced I should ask for a rate increase, mostly because I have better skills, experience and alternative offers now. The end client (and the industry) is also known for rate cuts across the board so this is also to pre-empt that.
    Can you guys encourage me? Is a 5% increase reasonable or is that too little?
    How long have you been there, 3 months? 6? I tend to (if I am still there) negotiate increases on a yearly basis, last time I asked for 10%, they countered with 2% and stated that was the most they could do. I thanked them for their offer and refused the extension. A week later they came back with 7% which I agreed to. You have to be prepared to walk if you don't get what you want otherwise you have no bargaining power in the future.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    started a topic Asking for a rate increase on contract extension?

Asking for a rate increase on contract extension?

My contract extension is coming up in a month or so.
    This has already been approved by the end client so happy times.
    I know that the agency is enjoying milking a healthy margin off the top across not just my role but also many others.
    I am nearly convinced I should ask for a rate increase, mostly because I have better skills, experience and alternative offers now. The end client (and the industry) is also known for rate cuts across the board so this is also to pre-empt that.
    Can you guys encourage me? Is a 5% increase reasonable or is that too little?

Working...
X