• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV getting too long"

Collapse

• RoastedSlopes
    replied
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
    2 months ?

YANCOTBAC
    Got ya. doesn't make sense to me but hey...

Numerous Clients in various markets.

Leave a comment:

• RoastedSlopes
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You are not cut out to be a contractor.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• RoastedSlopes
    replied
    [QUOTE=TykeMerc;2069867]That ID is yet another blatant sockpuppet, don't pull that "gag" you know perfectly well what it means.

oops Paranoid user alert!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by RoastedSlopes View Post
    And that means what?
    That ID is yet another blatant sockpuppet, don't pull that "gag" you know perfectly well what it means.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    If a CV gets you work then it's long enough IMO.
    True.
    I try to keep mine to 3 pages, like most people I just trim detail from old roles.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And that means what?
    You are not cut out to be a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    If a CV gets you work then it's long enough IMO.

Leave a comment:

• RoastedSlopes
    replied
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
    2 months ?

YANCOTBAC
    And that means what?

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    My CV is 5 Pages

1st page is a summary of my skills and expertise and current gig, then detail of previous gigs.

Had 2 months down time in 16 years contracting.

2 months ?

YANCOTBAC

Leave a comment:

• ceebeepps
    replied
    I've certainly seen major improvements in contacts since sorting out my first page!

Leave a comment:

• RoastedSlopes
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    2 pages is about right. I'd have likely made my mind up half way through the first.
    Exactly, when I have recruited for roles, I don't care how long the CV is, I usually only look at the first page.

When coming along to interview, I like to have more info and will review the CV.

2 pages or 5 its the first page which gets the attention

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    2 pages is about right. I'd have likely made my mind up half way through the first.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Depends if those roles are a consistent £100 a day or something...

Leave a comment:

• RoastedSlopes
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If he has no problem getting roles with a longer CV then he doesn't need to change it.

Some of the people who have longer CVs actually have stuff like their one claim to fame, qualifications, open source projects and published papers on the last page(s). Remember not everyone does the same type of work here.
    Absolutely . most of my IB roles are on the later pages.

I could reduce the roles down to date and role only to get these on 2 pages but it looks SH***

5 pages is my optimum

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I thought someone would say that and fair enough. Just making the point. Not sure why improving it to remove the element that might be a problem at sometime isn't a good idea. You can see how opinions are divided on here so you can be absolutely sure that opinion extends to the clients. Am sure well written it will be even better at two pages.

Fair point about the different types of work on here though but we've seen enough discussions on this topic to know this isn't common and there are more like the OP then the people you mention.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Your selling point also includes relevant information including experience, not huffing on about stuff the client can't quantify.. And if popular thinking and most advice based on research into people's behaviors says 2 is enough why would you present yourself to a potential risk by ignoring conventional wisdom?

Remembering also your audience is the most important thing here. You are creating a CV for them, not really for you. You might want to fly in the face of conventional wisdom but you are not then key audience.
    If he has no problem getting roles with a longer CV then he doesn't need to change it.

Some of the people who have longer CVs actually have stuff like their one claim to fame, qualifications, open source projects and published papers on the last page(s). Remember not everyone does the same type of work here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X